• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Girls trip - Charleston SC, or Savannah GA?

Katy Belle

DIS Veteran
Hi!

My BFF and I take a girls trip every year in February. We are behind in planning this year. We hope to go mid February. We need to fly Southwest this year, because of their easy policy in case we need to delay the trip...I have a cousin that is very ill, and I may need to change our trip.

Anyway! Looking at flying into Charleston SC. Its only 4 nights...so 3 full days, and one morning, basically. I don't think that is enough time to do both Charleston and Savannah...so which should we pick!

We are both in our 50s. We love to shop...gifty type shops are great, big malls are great, ... Museums are low on my friends list, but she would probably be up to one. We like a guided tour...maybe segway and perhaps a walking tour or bus. We usually try to see most of the touristy things. Eating is definitely part of our fun! Doesn't have to be fancy, but it can be. Drinks too! And we will be celebrating Margarita Day! So a place to get a great Margarita is a plus. We usually stay in a 2 bed 2 bath suite or house...or two adjoining hotel rooms. We like our own space, but we like to hang out and visit too!

Any suggestions??
TIA
Katy

You can’t go wrong in either city but for me Savannah has a slight edge because I’d have to try Paula Deen’s restaurant and the places she’s featured on her show.

Only been to Savannah and really enjoyed it. The parks are very picturesque and the best fried chicken was at The Pirates House. I didn't care for the walk along the river as it was really crowded and the walkway was very uneven/dangerous.

If you choose Savannah, pick up Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil by John Berendt to read before your trip. I enjoyed my trip there, after reading the book, much more than my trips before reading it.

Whether I would choose Savannah or Charleston would depend on whether or not you like to constantly be on the go. There's more to do in Charleston. You may need to take a lot of tours to fill your time in Savannah. That would be perfect, as long as you have a sizable budget. We are very laid back tourists & can easily spend 3 days there. A lot of our time is spent sleeping in, having a nice long breakfast, enjoying a relaxed dinner & ending with drinks. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time for touring. My extended family like to get up early, eat fast & get on the move. If they spend more than an hour on dinner, they're complaining that it's taking too long. Three days in Savannah are too much for them.

You can’t go wrong in either city but for me Savannah has a slight edge because I’d have to try Paula Deen’s restaurant and the places she’s featured on her show.

Unless her restaurant in Savannah has improved tremendously, I definitely wouldn't make a trip to eat there. DH & I ate there once & it wasn't good at all. I was surprised she'd attach her name to the food we were served. A few months later I visited Pigeon Forge with my sisters. They wanted to eat at her restaurant there. I was really dreading it, but was willing to take one for the team. IMO, the one in PF is much better, even though the food is served family style there & I'm not generally a fan of family style restaurants. After eating @ The Lady & Sons, I was pleasantly surprised with our meal in PF.

We did a girls trip to Charleston a few months ago. We are in our 50's and 60's. We had a great time. Stayed at Indigo Inn. Its a little motel with lots of southern charm. Free breakfast, wine, cheese and a hot dip in the afternoon. We were able to walk everywhere. The City Market is awesome for shopping. It goes on for 4 blocks. Lots of shops and restaurants on King St. also. The have walking tours and horse and carriage tours. The also have ghost tours. We also went to Johns Island to the Angel Oak. Beautiful!! They have boat tours and a tour of mansions and Charleston Tea Plantation. So many things to do!!

Hi!

My BFF and I take a girls trip every year in February. We are behind in planning this year. We hope to go mid February. We need to fly Southwest this year, because of their easy policy in case we need to delay the trip...I have a cousin that is very ill, and I may need to change our trip.

Anyway! Looking at flying into Charleston SC. Its only 4 nights...so 3 full days, and one morning, basically. I don't think that is enough time to do both Charleston and Savannah...so which should we pick!

We are both in our 50s. We love to shop...gifty type shops are great, big malls are great, ... Museums are low on my friends list, but she would probably be up to one. We like a guided tour...maybe segway and perhaps a walking tour or bus. We usually try to see most of the touristy things. Eating is definitely part of our fun! Doesn't have to be fancy, but it can be. Drinks too! And we will be celebrating Margarita Day! So a place to get a great Margarita is a plus. We usually stay in a 2 bed 2 bath suite or house...or two adjoining hotel rooms. We like our own space, but we like to hang out and visit too!

Any suggestions??
TIA
Katy

Katy, my group of gf's went to Charleston, SC for our girl trip. We absolutely loved it. There is shopping on the main open market place in town that can't be missed. We booked a carriage ride to tour historic Charleston while in town shopping. That is the pickup spot for the tours. Interesting and lovely tour. We also booked one of the haunted tours. It was a lot of fun, but we didn't see any "haunts". LOL. There are 2 major plantations to tour, I think. We toured MIddleton Plantation and it was a high light of our trip. So much history, beautiful grounds and lakes. There is a lot to do in the area. Oh, we also toured the only tea plantation in the US, and bought some tea. We stayed on Isle of Palms in a huge condo on the ocean and had a blast there, looking for starfish which were plentiful. I know you can't go wrong with Charleston. However, our next trip will be Savannah, I hope.
Hope this helps.
I almost forgot about our tour of Fort Sumter and a battleship that is stationed at the dock there. Very interesting and fun.

Hi!

Any suggestions??
TIA
Katy

They are similar 'old' cities, but we love Charleston. Don't miss the only Tea Plantation in N. America - very interesting!! Love to shop the 'Market'. The Angel Tree is unbelievable. But, to be honest, probably can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I really like both cities. You can't go wrong with either place. If you want more relaxing, pick Savannah. If you want to be more on the go, pick Charleston. To me, there is more to do in Charleston. My daughter's bachelorette weekend was in Charleston and she and her friends had a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter