Gifts for someone leaving for basic training?

Not to highjack thread by my son is in ft benning right now graduating on the 10th! I can't wait to see him.. I also am part of the benning web page and his units page. It has been an amazing journey with my son. Thanks to all the Benning families...

Awww, congratulations to your son. I can only imagine how proud you are of him! Enjoy every moment together on his graduation day and take lots of pictures.

I thank everyone for the helpful hints. I'm going to give him things (gift cards etc...) that he can use before he leaves. I figure he'll want to see as many friends possible before he goes, so restaurant and movie gift cards should fill the bill. That way he can treat everyone.

I'll stick an address book in his stocking, plus the black sharpies and phone card.

My mother asked me if my son will be able to carry a wallet while in basic. Does anyone know if he can?

Not to highjack thread by my son is in ft benning right now graduating on the 10th! I can't wait to see him.. I also am part of the benning web page and his units page. It has been an amazing journey with my son. Thanks to all the Benning families...

Congrats to your son! We are stationed at Ft Benning right now - just got here this summer. Be sure to come down early enough or stay long enough to tour the Infantry museum while you are here and take your DS to Ranger Joe's (a popular local hangout for the soldiers to get new gear).

Are you flying in or driving?

First of all, Congratulations to your son. Are they graduating at the new museum? If so, make sure to take the time for a tour, it will make your experience more memorable.

We love it, but I was born and raised in the area, my mom worked Civil Service for more than 32 years at Benning, I have spent more than my fair share of time out there over the years and I met my DH, through friends stationed there.

If you need to know anything, let me know, I will be more than happy to help out other military families (sounds strange, DH is going back active to his reserve unit after a 5 year hiatus).

Suzanne

Hi, Neighbor! :cheer2: I didn't realize your DH was going back active. You'll have to fill me in on FB!

He is going into the army, will be doing basic at Fort Jackson. From the sound of it, looks like he'll get more "before he leaves" things.

He got the list of what to take, so I know not to deviate from that. I guess I'll get him a cheap Casio or Timex watch. When he graduates basic my plan is to give him a laptop, so I guess that will make up for a socks and undies Christmas. I like the idea of stamps and writing supplies. Is there a certain type of paper the can or can't bring? The phone cards? I can get those at the post office right (dumb question, but I've never bought a phone card :confused3).

Surfergirl602, wouldn't that be funny if my son gets your husband in basic!

Aww, we are on the other side of the country. He'll be okay at Jackson though - they don't call it "Relaxin' Jackson" for nothing!!! lol

My mother asked me if my son will be able to carry a wallet while in basic. Does anyone know if he can?

It all really depends on the unit. He'll probably just have to leave it locked up in his wall locker at certain times.

Congrats to your son! We are stationed at Ft Benning right now - just got here this summer. Be sure to come down early enough or stay long enough to tour the Infantry museum while you are here and take your DS to Ranger Joe's (a popular local hangout for the soldiers to get new gear).

Hi, Neighbor! :cheer2: I didn't realize your DH was going back active. You'll have to fill me in on FB!

LOL at Ranger Joe's. It's more than a popular hang out - it's like... The Smithsonian of Benning.

He goes to Atlanta for MEPS on Tuesday afternoon and in-processes on Wednesday (our 9th Anniversary). He will be active Reserve with the same unit he was in before the 718th Engineers

LOL at Ranger Joe's. It's more than a popular hang out - it's like... The Smithsonian of Benning.

They have updated and expanded recently and it really is a nice place. They even have a coffee bar, Cup O Joe's.

Suzanne

The new location is great - much more organized but I did love the old location (fond memories from sending my college sweetheart off to Ranger school many moons ago and hanging out at Ranger Joe's with him).

He goes to Atlanta for MEPS on Tuesday afternoon and in-processes on Wednesday (our 9th Anniversary). He will be active Reserve with the same unit he was in before the 718th Engineers

They have updated and expanded recently and it really is a nice place. They even have a coffee bar, Cup O Joe's.

Suzanne

Tell him Good Luck! Happy Anniversary! Ours is the 13th and B is TDY (of course). Gotta love the Army. Sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter