Gift Cards to Pay off Magic Band Charges

HokieSLP

Earning My Ears
Hi There. I hope this is the right board to post in. I was wondering if you can use Disney gift cards to pay off your resort balance (purchases charged to card linked to magic band)? I think I read somewhere previously that you can do that. Thanks!

Yup. Just go down to the front desk. I did this every couple of nights at BWV on our last trip. If you are not staying deluxe, there is a lower limit before they hit your credit card on file. Maybe someone else can chime in with the limits.

Yup. Just go down to the front desk. I did this every couple of nights at BWV on our last trip. If you are not staying deluxe, there is a lower limit before they hit your credit card on file. Maybe someone else can chime in with the limits.
We are staying at a deluxe resort so this works perfectly. Thank you so much!!

Yep I did this at Pop Century on our trip last spring. I'm not sure what the limit is either but I stopped every couple of days to pay down the balance. It was kind of a pain and I spent lots of time waiting in line at the front desk so this year I'm going to use the GC at the restaurants/shops instead of charging to the MB.

Yep I did this at Pop Century on our trip last spring. I'm not sure what the limit is either but I stopped every couple of days to pay down the balance. It was kind of a pain and I spent lots of time waiting in line at the front desk so this year I'm going to use the GC at the restaurants/shops instead of charging to the MB.
Thank you so much for your reply. I may try it a few times and If there are longer lines, I'll do that. It can't hurt. Thank you!

I guess it depends on the time of day that you go down to the lobby. I did it each night when we returned from the parks... it was late and no one was there buy me. Anyways, this is the way we always do it. Everything is prepaid, and as a Canadian we save the foreign exchange fee by using Gift cards.

I guess it depends on the time of day that you go down to the lobby. I did it each night when we returned from the parks... it was late and no one was there buy me. Anyways, this is the way we always do it. Everything is prepaid, and as a Canadian we save the foreign exchange fee by using Gift cards.
Awesome. Thank you so much!

You need to research the new policy. While you can still use the gift cards to pay off your balance. Make sure you understand the new hold policy that has been recently instated. Your card on file will be held for $100 at check in, if you allow for room charging. Then when you spend $100, another $100 hold will be placed. Every time you spend to that new hold, another one will be placed. They no longer do batch charges like they have in the past. Depending on your financial institution, this could cause you issues. So take the time to research this.

You need to research the new policy. While you can still use the gift cards to pay off your balance. Make sure you understand the new hold policy that has been recently instated. Your card on file will be held for $100 at check in, if you allow for room charging. Then when you spend $100, another $100 hold will be placed. Every time you spend to that new hold, another one will be placed. They no longer do batch charges like they have in the past. Depending on your financial institution, this could cause you issues. So take the time to research this.
I will look into this for sure.

Thank you for explaining. I will do research. :)

Sounds like it may be best to use gift cards instead of charging to room OR just using the cards on the last day to decrease the total amount charged.

To be honest I never really understood the “convenience” of charging to the room and then paying off the charges every day/few days. It just seems like a completely unnecessary step IMO. I too am from the Great White North (currently sweating my butt off) so I like to use GCs as well. But we use them at POS. I can’t be bothered paying off room charges regardless of length of line at the front desk. Just pay on the spot and you’re done.

This is just my opinion. Many, many folks enjoy charging to their room and then paying it off in bunches. To each their own.

To be honest I never really understood the “convenience” of charging to the room and then paying off the charges every day/few days. It just seems like a completely unnecessary step IMO. I too am from the Great White North (currently sweating my butt off) so I like to use GCs as well. But we use them at POS. I can’t be bothered paying off room charges regardless of length of line at the front desk. Just pay on the spot and you’re done.

This is just my opinion. Many, many folks enjoy charging to their room and then paying it off in bunches. To each their own.
Fair point :). I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. The only thing I don’t like about using the gift cards is keeping track of the balance of each. I saw a post somewhere about combining the amounts of many cards onto one. I may just do that.

I usually use gift cards directly, but we were on the dining plan last trip. It was much easier at the restaurant to charge everything via the magic bands. Because we had the deluxe dining plan, the only additional amount was usually the tip, which is kind of a pain on a gift card.

Fair point :). I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. The only thing I don’t like about using the gift cards is keeping track of the balance of each. I saw a post somewhere about combining the amounts of many cards onto one. I may just do that.

The current balance will show on your purchase receipts which makes tracking a little easier.

And yes. Definitely look into combining and managing your cards on the Disney gift card website.

I always keep a gift card available with a $1.00 balance in case I lose my current GC. That way I can just transfer the balance and nothing is lost.

Just a few tips. Of course do whatever makes the most sense for your crew.

Enjoy your trip!

The current balance will show on your purchase receipts which makes tracking a little easier.

And yes. Definitely look into combining and managing your cards on the Disney gift card website.

I always keep a gift card available with a $1.00 balance in case I lose my current GC. That way I can just transfer the balance and nothing is lost.

Just a few tips. Of course do whatever makes the most sense for your crew.

Enjoy your trip!
Excellent tips. Thank you! I just created an account on the gift card website. I appreciate your feedback. Have a great trip!

Each receipt will have the balance.

Just one suggestion if you're going to use GCs at the point of sale. Either use a GC with a unique or rare picture instead of the generic ones that you get at Target or the grocery store. If not that, then trim a corner off, write something on it with a Sharpie or do something to differentiate it from any other GC.

I read on one message board (might have been the disboards, but maybe elsewhere), that a guest paid for an item but was given the wrong GC back. The GC they were given was identical to their own but it was empty. The one they had used had a considerable balance on it. They discovered the error rather quickly and hot their rightful GC back but a mistake like that can happen to anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter