• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GF just diagnosed with cancer, planning a surprise trip to Orlando. PLZ GIVE BUDGET TIPS!!

Vandyzack7

Earning My Ears
My GF was recently diagnosed with cancer so I am trying to surprise her with a trip to Orlando, her favorite place ever, from (5/28-6/1) to go to Disney one day and Universal one day. She has no idea so I cannot go to her for help in scheduling this trip. I saved up 800 dollars and am ready to book a place and get tickets!

I found two “cheap” resorts under $400
-Mystic Dunes
-Westgate Town Center

Both offer timeshare presentations for cash and I plan to use that cash to craigslist the Universal tickets (hope that’s safe). Not sure the best way for Disney tickets speaking that I’ll only have about 200 dollars left. Would take any recommendations for finding cheaper Disney tickets!

Thanks for your time guys! My GF and I are 25 years old and I’m looking to try and attempt a trip for under 800 dollars to get our minds off the situation for a few days!

No advice but prayers for you GF. That is a scary diagnosis at any age speaking from experience so don't be surprised if she just finds it all overwhelming. You may want to reconsider surprising her. The diagnosis may have been enough surprise to last her for a long time.

No advice but prayers for you GF. That is a scary diagnosis at any age speaking from experience so don't be surprised if she just finds it all overwhelming. You may want to reconsider surprising her. The diagnosis may have been enough surprise to last her for a long time.
Thank you. I took her to a small amusement park last week in Tennessee and she had her first truly good day in a while. She then made a comment about Orlando on the way back home which made me decide to do this. Again, thank you.

I would suggest finding a Hotwire deal for hotel, this will help save quite a bit. I would not buy tickets on Craigslist if that's what you are planning. For 1 day only I'm not sure if you could find a bargain, I don't think so. But 2 1 day Disney tickets will be over $200. Universal tickets are almost much. Since it sounds like you're driving, don't forget to budget gas, parking fees, food, water, drinks, snacks. It may be a tough budget but I think it's doable.

I would suggest finding a Hotwire deal for hotel, this will help save quite a bit. I would not buy tickets on Craigslist if that's what you are planning. For 1 day only I'm not sure if you could find a bargain, I don't think so. But 2 1 day Disney tickets will be over $200. Universal tickets are almost much. Since it sounds like you're driving, don't forget to budget gas, parking fees, food, water, drinks, snacks. It may be a tough budget but I think it's doable.

I agree. You'd be better off finding a place to stay that's $100 or less per night than having to deal with a timeshare presentation. I would also suggest just doing disney or just doing universal. It won't save much doing 2 day tickets for either but it'll be better than buying 1 day tickets for both.

I agree. You'd be better off finding a place to stay that's $100 or less per night than having to deal with a timeshare presentation. I would also suggest just doing disney or just doing universal. It won't save much doing 2 day tickets for either but it'll be better than buying 1 day tickets for both.

I completely agree with this post!! I just found a 3 star hotel on International dr. 5/28-6/1 for 154.51 after tax. As long as the place has a pool and reviews look good, what more do you need? 2 days Magic your way tickets will run 446 after tax. This can be done just budget accordingly.

Last edited:

One last one then I'm all out of tips...buy case of water and store in fridge freezer in room (confirm you have one once you have made reservations) bring a soft side cooler and backpack. You can bring this in the park and it will save you money on drinks, you could pack light snacks too. Buy small breakfast foods so that's 1 meal taken care of. You could even pack sandwiches so all you need to worry about is dinners everyday.

My GF was recently diagnosed with cancer so I am trying to surprise her with a trip to Orlando, her favorite place ever, from (5/28-6/1) to go to Disney one day and Universal one day. She has no idea so I cannot go to her for help in scheduling this trip. I saved up 800 dollars and am ready to book a place and get tickets!

I found two “cheap” resorts under $400
-Mystic Dunes
-Westgate Town Center

Both offer timeshare presentations for cash and I plan to use that cash to craigslist the Universal tickets (hope that’s safe). Not sure the best way for Disney tickets speaking that I’ll only have about 200 dollars left. Would take any recommendations for finding cheaper Disney tickets!

Thanks for your time guys! My GF and I are 25 years old and I’m looking to try and attempt a trip for under 800 dollars to get our minds off the situation for a few days!
It's so very nice of you to try to do something special to take her mind off of the battle ahead of her. Just a couple of thoughts:

Those timeshare presentations can be exhausting to sit thru. Westgate is one of the most high-pressure ones in the area. It's not something that I would do when trying to take a vacation but if this is the only way, then make sure that you have the resolve to repeatedly say 'no' and that you don't display a single chink in your armor or the salesperson will try to exploit it. Do your homework. Read the online reviews. The same goes for Mystic Dunes. Make sure that you are fully aware of what you're stepping in. You will waste a full day of your trip at each of them.

I would not buy tickets on craigslist or any other 3rd party source that is not an authorized seller. It is not what I consider to be a safe purchase. There is no way to verify whether the tickets are legitimate and you could end up at Universal with some worthless paper in you hands.

Disney 1-day tickets are not available at a discounted price. They will run north of $100 apiece for one day in any of the parks and that would be directly from Disney. The only "discount" that I can offer would be to use a Target REDCard to purchase Disney gift cards and the use those gift cards to purchase the tickets online. This would save you $11 or $12.

I hope that you can get this to work using your limited budget. It's awfully tight. The tickets alone will eat up half of what you have. Food, transportation and lodging will eat up more than the other half. The suggestions to skip the timeshare presentations and find cheaper hotels is a very good one. Shortening the stay by just one night would also save you a nice chunk of change, not only the lodging but also with food for one less night.

OP, I think your idea is very thoughtful and well intended. But, honestly, your budget is really tight and I agree that this trip may be overwhelming for your GF. You don't know what unexpected expenses may come up in the near future, I think I'd put that $800 aside and put the trip on hold.

OP what you are doing is sweet but based on your constraints I think you should save the money in case it is needed for treatment.

I agree what you are planning is incredibly thoughtful, it can be done with careful planning. This is all good advice...IMO I would still do it because you don't know what the future holds and treatment hasn't started yet so who knows when you would be able to go anywhere. In the end, it is your decision and being a supportive, loving bf is what's important. Keep us posted !!

This is very sweet. I recently had a surgery for breast cancer. With our high deductible, my mind is on the bills that will be showing up any day. I'm sorry to put a damper on your very thoughtful gesture. I would greatly appreciate if dh planned a day trip, or weekend at the beach or somewhere else close to home.

Check out Springhill Suites at Flamingo Crossing. It's new, has breakfast buffet, and is coming up $72/night on lmtclub, which you can join for free -- search for a promo code.

2 day tickets will run $200+ each for disney or universal. If you want more bang for your buck, you could consider discovery cove basic pkg. It is also about $200 ea, but includes unlimited sea world for your stay (and maybe Aquatica- can't remember for sure.)

It's cutting it close but look at the credit card thread and look into utilizing sign up offers to offset costs

I usually advise starting off with cards that earn transferable points but you might be better served with cards that offer statement credit for instance right now you can get the venture card and it'll give you 50k "miles" which really is $500 statement credit to offset travel

The Disney cards I believe still offer up to $200 (in either credit or gift card depending on the deal you find) plus 0 percent for 6 months if you get a package through Disney (if your interested in that )

Please, please, please do NOT buy tickets off of Craigslist!!! For anyplace. What happens when you purchase the tickets and they don’t work? You’ll both be devastated at the money lost. ONLY purchase from authorized sellers, there is too much at risk and too many con-people out there!

And I wouldn’t go if the trip relies on timeshare presentations. They can be extremely stressful and if the hotel knows 2 people are staying in a room they could insist you both show up for the presentation and that’s stress you really don’t need in your lives right now. (And you can’t just leave if they are rude and nasty because you’ll be in a spot of desperation where you need their discount/cash for sitting thru the presentation.)

Your intentions are wonderful, but having gone through this recently myself, I wouldn't do a trip right now. Perhaps plan a trip for after she is finished with surgery/treatment?

We had a trip planned for almost a year that I canceled after I got my diagnosis. I never would have enjoyed myself. There are so many unknowns when starting the journey to treating cancer. Waiting for test results, waiting for surgery, waiting for radiation/chemo, waiting to meet with the many different kinds of doctors... Her mind will be on so many things. Perhaps just day getaways would be better until her journey is finished.

Just my opinion, but wanted to share.

Groupon has a deal on Universal tickets. Not sure how much of a savings it is but worth a look. Best wishes to you and your gf!

I think your heart is in the right place, but I don't know that a surprise trip is what your GF needs at this point in her life. I would suggest that instead, you save up the money, and continue to save. Perhaps you two can take a celebratory trip at the end of her treatment, or even (fingers crossed) to celebrate being cancer-free. Maybe you could plan and discuss this together, to give her something to focus on after the cancer--THAT would truly be a gift!

I think your heart is in the right place, but I don't know that a surprise trip is what your GF needs at this point in her life. I would suggest that instead, you save up the money, and continue to save. Perhaps you two can take a celebratory trip at the end of her treatment, or even (fingers crossed) to celebrate being cancer-free. Maybe you could plan and discuss this together, to give her something to focus on after the cancer--THAT would truly be a gift!

ITA with this, after all planning is half the fun. My cousin and my friend both got diagnosed with cancer this year. It was such an anxiety producing time waiting for treatment to start that even going out for dinner and a movie wasn't fun. I wish you all the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter