GF Afternoon Tea w/ Toddler?

Should we take a well-behaved toddler to GF Afternoon tea?

• Yes! You don't want to miss it. #YOLO

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No! You'll feel rushed and won't get the benefit of a dignified affair.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No! You'll ruin it for other customers.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Wait a few years and go back when she's older.

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cabius

More Disney-obsessed than is healthy.
My wife and I will be staying at the GF in January with our 20-month-old daughter. We love afternoon tea, having once splurged for service at the Savoy in London. We don't expect this experience to match those truly world-class standards, but do look forward to a tasty, somewhat fancy affair in a beautiful setting. Would we be insane to go with a 20-month-old daughter?

She loves tea right now - removing and replacing tea bags from a box of Twinnings we keep on a low pantry shelf, and occasionally getting sips of herbal teas to her delight - though who knows if she will have moved on in the next 45 days. I think she'll be tickled by how pretty it is, though we're doing 1900 Park Fare already that morning.

She is not particularly rambunctious, tending toward being well-behaved and quiet, especially in large groups of people. We often eat out with her without issue. I don't expect her to be unmanageable, but worry that she if she gets bored it might make us rush to wrap up more quickly so we can't really enjoy the experience.

We're also likely to return to WDW many more times as our family grows, so this wouldn't necessarily be our only shot at this, although we may or may not stay at the GF again in the future.

So what do you think?

Go for it!!!

I've never been, but I'm betting lots of young kids do the afternoon tea.

When my mother and I went, we sat next to a mom and her young daughter. It was wonderful and I loved watching their interactions

20 months is really young. I am sure she is as well-behaved as you say, but how much will she get out of it after the 1900 Park Fare morning? How much time in between the two? Nap? Is the Mad Hatter still so loud, and is it still so noisy and chaotic? 1900 Park Fare breakfast, not afternoon tea. I am sure she would enjoy the afternoon tea when she is older. And she might enjoy it now too. It might be better on another day though. Have a great trip.

Our tea last week took 80 minutes, it was surprised as it seemed quicker than that. The pace was nice and we were not bored or waiting for the next course. I'm sure you can speed it up if needed.

Who voted “you’ll ruin it for others?” How ridiculous. It’s not an adult tea salon. It’s Disney World. If your day is ruined by the sight of a small child, it’s time to re-evaluate your vacation destination choice. :lmao:

It sounds like she is into tea at the moment and you & your wife would enjoy the outing with her. I say go for it. It will be a nice memory for you.

Ok I'm changing my vote. I missed the bfast at 1909 park faire

It may be too much sitting for one day. After a fun filled character bfast tea would not be as fun nor as exciting. I vote save it for a later trip

I think it's a perfect introduction to a tea. I loved taking my nieces to tea when they were little. Dress up a bit and call it a tea party. ItsWDW and children are welcome and expected.

I agree that it's too much with the Park Faire breakfast, but if you went to tea independent of the breakfast, it would probably be fine with a certain kind of child (patient, obedient). My 17 month old granddaughter went to tea at Fortnum and Mason in London last spring. She is used to doing whatever her parents want to do and did fine with it.

I took my girls when the younger two were small. The "baby" was the about the age of your daughter, maybe a tad older. They were mostly good out. The then-four year old (and teen) were angels. And, LOVED it.
Our service was S-L-O-W!!! I think they bring it all at once now. But it was too long for the smallest. We were fine, however, as we had a table by the window. She could get out of the high chair and move around as she was penned in by the table. I was a little worried they would think it improper. The said it was fine, especially since she was quiet. There was a table of old ladies next to us smiling and waving to her, basically entertaining her too.
Only you know your child well-enough...I think that as long as you or your spouse are willing to take her out if she becomes disruptive, go for it.
The girls loved their own pot of chocolate milk, little sandwiches and a chocolate-covered strawberries, a favorite ever since. It was super fun.

She loves tea right now - removing and replacing tea bags from a box of Twinnings we keep on a low pantry shelf, and occasionally getting sips of herbal teas to her delight

There will be no tea bags for her to unbox, so if thats a big part of it for her, you might want to bring your own for her to play with.

We brought my 4 year old cousin, who normally can’t sit still, and she loved it (she had the chocolate milk not tea, but it was still poured from a tea pot). Not sure about an under-2 personally. Sounds like a lot of work for the parents.

My daughter is around the same age and I would take her. Even if she were full from breakfast she would gladly spend an hour hour munching on sugary treats.

Not to hijack the post but would a 5 year old girl enjoy it and can she get decaffeinated tea like mint?

I’ve had tea there many times. I see no problem with your taking her.

Not to hijack the post but would a 5 year old girl enjoy it and can she get decaffeinated tea like mint?

My kids enjoyed it immensely at 5 years old. They usually had the chocolate milk (poured from a tea pot). If she wants an herbal or decaf tea there are plenty of blends to choose from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter