• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting Wheelchair Around Buses/Rideshare

DisneyFanPatrick

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone.

My mother will be using a wheel chair for distance this visit, but instead of renting at the parks we will bring on with us.

If she is able to get onto a bus from kneeling position, I understand we can fold up the chair and hold it on the bus with us. She is able to do this and would like to leave as many seats open as possible for others. Does she wait in the normal line or the wheelchair location to wait for the bus when we want to fold it up?

Additionally, this is just an average sized manual wheel chair. For anyone who has used Lyft/Uber, do they easily fit in most trunks? Do you send driver a message once they accept ride to let them know? Any other etiquette suggestions?

She can either walk up the ramp or ride her wheelchair into the bud, then transfer to bus seat and someone else in your group fold and hold the wheelchair. Just let the driver know so he/she doesn’t get the area ready for the chair to go there.

Never let a Lyft or Uber driver know you have a wheelchair to transport because although your intention is to be courteous, the common result is that your driver won’t show up and you might not even be notified. There are numerous reports of drivers seeing their passengers have a chair and refusing to stop.

It is your responsibility though to know if it will fit, to be able to lift the chair into a trunk without scratching anything, and to make sure the tires are clean and dry. This is why so many drivers don’t like dealing with wheelchairs.

You won’t have these issues with Disney transportation, the Minnie vans, or a proper taxi.

I use a manual wheelchair and have taken Uber. You can send them a note but I don't as I am afraid the driver would not show up. I have had good experiences except for 2 drivers who refused to take me and both of those times I had someone along to help. One of them said I am supposed to call up a "professional ambulette service" and spoke to the person I was with instead of me and asked them why they didn't "let Uber know I had a handicapped person with them." It was my account and me who ordered the car! I got charged for the ride but got a refund. I have not had a problem with the chair fitting into any of the cars, and the drivers have mostly been friendly and helpful. I cannot lift it into the trunk myself as I can't walk and they are supposed to be willing to assist with that if you are alone and if you can transfer yourself into the car. The chair I had before, the foot rests came off. I understand you will be traveling with your mom and it won't be a problem for her to get in the car and you can put the chair in the trunk.

Standard folding chairs fit in most trunks. As long as it is not a larger bariatric chair you should be all set. The chair should just be treated like any other luggage. I would agree that you should not notify the driver. Most drivers are perfectly nice and helpful, but it is possible to get the one ignorant person. If that happens just ask them to pop the trunk and load the chair like a suitcase.

For the Disney buses, with a person who can walk with a folding chair technically you can go through either the regular line or use the accessible spot to go up the ramp. Going up the ramp may be better because as a previous poster said, if you are in the regular line a seat is not guaranteed. When the driver lets the ramp down for you, just let the driver know that she will transfer and you don't need the wheelchair spot.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter