Getting to MK via Grand Floridian

Shermonica Simon

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I am traveling with my mom and 2 children(4,6). My mom has handicapped parking and can walk fine but only for a short time. We are going to MK in August. It opens at 9 to non resort guests (8am for EMH). We have a 7:30 reservation for breakfast at the Grand Floridian cafe. Can we do valet parking, eat breakfast and then head to the MK while leaving the car? If so is it a long walk from the entrance of The Grand Floridian to the GF Cafe? When leaving the GF cafe where is the monorail stop and how long of a walk is it from the GF Cafe to the monorail? Then finally how long of a walk from the monorail to the MK? Is any of it uphill. My mom can walk but needs to rest, along the route. Are there benches to sit?

On the way back I understand that the boat is the best option back to GF. Is that correct?

We are renting a scooter at MK. For several reasons and offsite rental is not a viable option. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Ok, I think that if you are not staying at the resort but only eating there that there is a time limit of 3 hours to leave your car. Pretty sure you can not leave it for the day. You should probably park at the TTC and monorail over if you plan on going to MK after. You can not walk to MK from the GF. You can take the boat or the monorail. The monorail is across the lobby and up one level from the GF Cafe. You will go through security there. There is not really a hill there but a very steep hill going down to MK from the monorail. The walk is maybe I don't know, 50 yards. What do you guys think? And it does go up hill a bit. There are no benches to rest. You may be able to get a courtesy wheelchair at the monorail station if there any available to use until the entrance of MK. If your Mom can step into and out of the boat then I would take that instead of the monorail because of the steep incline.

The boat from the MK to the GF is a very small boat (not a large ferry like goes from TTC to MK), and it won't fit an ECV. Just be aware.

9B8CA8D2-ADA1-424B-B6B5-CB3C18C64D55.jpeg As others mentioned, plan that even with valet parking you might only have a 3 hour parking pass.
This is a screenshot from the MDE app.
The drop off for valet parking is circled in blue and the monorail station is just above that area. The restaurant is circled in red.

Ok, I think that if you are not staying at the resort but only eating there that there is a time limit of 3 hours to leave your car. Pretty sure you can not leave it for the day. You should probably park at the TTC and monorail over if you plan on going to MK after. You can not walk to MK from the GF. You can take the boat or the monorail. The monorail is across the lobby and up one level from the GF Cafe. You will go through security there. There is not really a hill there but a very steep hill going down to MK from the monorail. The walk is maybe I don't know, 50 yards. What do you guys think? And it does go up hill a bit. There are no benches to rest. You may be able to get a courtesy wheelchair at the monorail station if there any available to use until the entrance of MK. If your Mom can step into and out of the boat then I would take that instead of the monorail because of the steep incline.
Thank you! You recommend the boat on the way to Magic Kingdom? My understanding is that the incline is downhill on the way to magic Kingdom and then uphill on the way back from MK to monorail

5134BE86-24F0-4E8D-A22D-94B52A142607.jpeg 3E148CE9-7CE7-407F-B78A-2ABA3B80F92C.jpeg 0518C2E3-BB50-4E06-99F6-8C92BF0AD356.jpeg
Thank you! You recommend the boat on the way to Magic Kingdom? My understanding is that the incline is downhill on the way to magic Kingdom and then uphill on the way back from MK to monorail
The first screenshot shows the boat dock to/from MK compared to the restaurant.
I know you mentioned she will not have an ECV, but you should also be aware that the small boats between MK and Grand Floridian require a step down into the boat.

The second screenshot shows the location of the monorail station and boat docks at MK. The monorail station is elevated about 20 feet higher than ground level.
When arriving at MK, there is a long, steep ramp to go down to ground level.
When leaving, you need to go up a similar ramp to get back to the station.

The last picture is from wdwmagic and shows the ramp. The picture shows the part of the station going to the Ticket and Transportation Center; the monorail station serving the resorts is to the left on the picture and has a similar ramp.

A couple of other things to think about....

No matter where you park, there will be a fair amount of walking involved to get from place to place. You may want to consider renting a wheelchair.
The monorail is wheelchair accessible.
The small boats going between GF and MK is not wheelchair accessible, but a folded wheelchair can be lifted aboard.
If you rent an ECV at MK, they can hold the wheelchair while you are in the park.

That is correct. And it is difficult for those with mobility issues.

I believe if you valet, there is no limit on how long you leave your car. Hope not, since it's around $25.

I believe that Valet Parking is still free for Guests with valid Handicapped permits/placards/tags. Obviously, a tip would be appropriate (both upon leaving your car with the Valet and requesting it).

We have a 7:30 reservation for breakfast at the Grand Floridian cafe. Can we do valet parking, eat breakfast and then head to the MK while leaving the car?
No. Parking at GF is only for hotel guests, and it is only for restaurant patrons while they are eating at GF.

I just use a rollator at home, although I will use an ECV at the grocery store. There is no way I could get from the entrance to the boat dock with only a rollator. I could walk with a rollator to the restaurant, but I would be wiped out by the time I got here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter