• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting Ready & Excited......Leaving Friday

GroovyWheeler

Earning My Ears
Dan and I are getting excited about our trip to Disney World on Friday. My mom, caregiver, Dan and I will be leaving for the airport in Portland, Oregon around 8, then 2 planes later, we'll be there!!! We're getting in late at night, though. +++The next day, OFF TO EPCOT!!!! (Dan wants to go on Test Track, and I want to see The Living Seas) I'm already cleaning off my manual wheelchair and getting it ready to go. It's been sitting in my room, hardly used since the last Disney World trip, so it had a lot of dust on it. It just got a brand-new wheelchair cushion put into it, and I'm anxious to see how it works out when I have to sit for long periods of time, in it.

I'm taking my quad cane too, and that will hopefully help a lot, especially with getting on/moving around on the plane and hotel room. We're flying on Delta, and I'm praying that they don't rip my sling-seat back like they did with my rental wheelchair that I had, before my mom was able to get the insurance to buy me my own.

The thing that going to excite me the most, is seeing other kids and young adults who use their own wheelchair, like I will be doing. I've seen a number of them use a power chair, and it just makes me ache so bad because I wasn't/haven't been able to bring mine each time we went. I'll try to see if that can be possible for next time, though as I do really want to take my power chair on its' first airplane trip to Disney World. All it takes, is a matter of finding an accessible rental van for it. My mom is worried that if we did take it on an airplane, it has a greater chance of breaking down/getting damaged in some way.

She also says that anyone who generally brings their power chair to Disney World, lives in Florida or some nearby state, where they have their own car to be able to transport it. But, that doesn't mean that a power chair can't be flown across the country from Oregon to Florida, without little or no damage to it, can it? I was hoping to bring my power chair this year because due to Dan's Traumatic Brain Injury, he can't see very well, and pushing me in my manual wheelchair is going to be a nightmare for both of us, because he can't determine when to stop if someone is in front of us, or when we're coming to an obstacle in the path (although I've always let him know). And, people have tripped over us, usually winding up on top of me. Oh well, we'll see how it goes this year.

Samantha

:flower1:

I have a word of warning for power chair consideration. If possible find a way to use nonstop flights.

Normally with a power chair you can drive it to the gate and they will take it to the plane in an elevator. I have heard of people who will remove the controller and let them push it in freewheel. Upon completion of your flight they will bring it back to you at the gate.

If you have changes of plane they will have to get it from one plane to another, and in a situation like yours it will be loaded and unloaded THREE times each way.

I think some of the regulars with PCs may also chime in on this.

We have not been brave enough to travel yet with DD's power wheelchair, but the advice we got from the company we got it from was to remove the controller because that is the most delicate and easy to damage part.
I'd also agree with Cheshire Figment that a non-stop (or at least the least number of stops you can arrange) is best.
Good luck. have a great trip.

There's hope that I may get to use a power chair from home at Disney World, even if it's not my own. My power chair is due to be taken into the wheelchair dealer tomorrow-my dad and I are going to drive down and drop it off, and I may get a "loaner power chair" in return. I've gotten one the last time my power chair broke down and it was one of those folding ones. It would be sweet if I got it again, and convinced my mom that I wanted to use it at Disney World. She knows how badly I wanted to take my own, but if I should get this loaner one, that doesn't mean that I can't take it, especially if it can fold. That would be sweet!!!

Samantha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter