Getting Prepared For Summer 2024

blueskymom

Earning My Ears
First time DCL cruiser here...and really first-timer on a large cruise ship (have been on smaller regional cruises before). We're preparing for a Summer 2024 voyage - June or July. Two adults, 1 child (10). I would love any guidance as we try to prepare the best we can before schedules and pricing come out. I think we're leaning toward a 5-day Caribbean itinerary including Castaway Cay. Reading the forums has opened my eyes to the advantages of a double-dip stop at Castaway Cay, and now I'm having a hard time looking at anything else. I see that 2023 has two departures that have 2 summer double-dips that would work well for us in 2024. Is it reasonable to think that a similar itinerary will exist in Summer 2024? The two ships are Magic and Fantasy. Basing it on '23 dates, Magic works nicer for us (over my 50th bday), but if Fantasy is a "better" choice, I'd like to know. The different categories are also a bit overwhelming for me. In general, we would like a verandah, and my dh is prone to motion sickness, so I need to keep that in mind (he did ok on the cruises we went on which did not have stabilizers, but I know the crossing between Venice and Croatia was tough on him). I was all set for a standard verandah, but see the Navigator Verandahs are covered, which is a plus for me, I think... I'm torn on this one. This is a special occasion trip for our family, and will likely not repeat it. I don't think Concierge level is in the cards, but anything up to that should be. I feel a lot of pressure to "get it right." Any thoughts or advice? We're still pretty open with destinations, itinerary, categories, etc.

One piece of advice is to decide what is most important to you. Is it price? Which port you depart from? Itinerary? Ship? Time of year? Stateroom? It's hard to get everything on your wish list, and trying to balance that can make it overwhelming so knowing up front what is most important will help.

Sometimes DCL carries the same timing of itineraries from year to year, and sometimes they don't, so I would necessarily bank on the same itineraries being offered at the same time in 2024. Double dips at Castaway Cay are also very popular, and not that common. Since you are a first-time cruiser you will have the latest booking date, which means it might be slim pickings on those cruises.

If you're concerned about sea sickness, then I agree a verandah is a good choice. I've never had a navigator's verandah so can't comment on that specifically, but in general I love having a verandah. Cruising in summer you are likely to have calmer seas than in fall/winter, which would also help (though of course there's no guarantees!).

You will get all sorts of opinions on the best ships. I love the Fantasy, personally (though the Magic ship is the one I haven't been on). The Magic (and Wonder) are slightly smaller, and the Fantasy (and Dream) are slightly larger. Though none are close to the mega-ships some other cruise lines have. This may be where prioritizing helps, if there are other factors that are more important to you, those might make the decision on which ship a moot point (assuming those two ships run the CC double-dip).

Overall, I'd say try not to stress out too much about 'getting it right.' You'll be going on a Disney cruise, which for me (and many) is all it takes. Especially for your first DCL cruise, focus on soaking up the experience and enjoying it. This board will give you lots of great tips, but don't stress too much about it!

my dh is prone to motion sickness
Everything RedHead said, except maybe this. Lower center rooms are better. My MIL gets motion sick, and we always stay Deck 2 Mid-ship.

Sailed with my mom for the first time in January and she gets super motion sick. We stayed Deck 2, mid AND the doctor gave her a scopolamine patch and she didn't have any issues (although there are some possible side effects).

Also, love the Fantasy. No opinion on the Magic yet. Also, my opinion on Concierge, is I'd rather take 2 cruises, than 1 at Concierge level.

Whatever cruise you take you will have a great time. I agree a double dip can be really nice. Any balcony will help with motion sickness and I have found Disney ships incredibly stable. Hubby and I were lamenting on our last cruise that we kind of wish there was more movement because we like being rocked to sleep on a ship. My biggest piece of advice is choose your room. Make sure you have rooms above and below you so you don’t hear a lot of noise from common areas when you try to sleep. A more central location, and lower on the ship, means less movement and not as far to walk.

There are very few cruises that do not stop at Castaway, so you'll get your Castaway itch scratched even if you can't do the double dip. We were on one of the doubles this year and had to switch to a different itinerary - heartbreaking, but any DCL cruise is a good enough time I'm not too sad anymore.

I would try to book a verandah in the middle of the ship to avoid the limited motion you will feel. I would not sweat over the navigator versus other verandah. You'll spend less time in the room and on the balcony than you think. There are a lot of things to do outside of the room. That doesn't mean go w/o the verandah. You will still spend plenty of time on the balcony - I can't imagine cruising w/o one.

The ship choice is not that big a deal, since they are all great. We all have our favorites, but you will likely enjoy all of them. I have kids the same age and am the same age, so I think I can speak with some authority on this. You'll have a GREAT time on any of the ships, and I have a feeling this won't be your only time. For the husband, you can get plenty of OTC and prescription medications to help with the motion sickness, but I doubt it will be a problem. Our friend, who suffers from the worst motion sickness of anyone I know, just went on her first cruise and didn't throw up. She said she was worried about it one night, but it passed and she was fine.

If you're worried about motion sickness, I'd avoid the navigators verandah as those tend to be very forward or very aft (more motion) For the Fantasy, avoid aft rooms as the Fantasy has known vibration issues aft. As others said, midship/close to midship and a generally lower deck will help. We sailed deck 2 Oceanview at the aft elevators on Magic/Wonder and felt good there. We did deck 9 verandah at the forward elevators on the Fantasy and felt a little too much up/down motion, going to try deck 7 next time. DD23 uses over the counter Bonine (meclizine) for motion sickness and that works well for her. It's non drowsy and she starts it the night before boarding. My 18 yr old felt seasick leaving Cozumel, so she started taking Bonine that night and it worked for her as well.

Not a Verandah, but more space:

This is my dream cabin (I had to miss a cruise were we had this booked. My sister is still encouraging us to sail in this category / ship next time we sail. She did stay in it without me. We’re waiting for Sep 2024 sail dates to be released to snag one of these.)

Fantasy, Category 8A, Oceanview
Cabins
(Port) 5020, 5022
(Starboard - looks out on Castaway Cay when docked) 5520, 5522

There are four cabins configured this way (with the wall and two separate TVs located at good viewing positions. The bathroom is one single room. I would think a kid would love the port hole with its padded seat and having their “own space.” These only sleep 3 people. The sofa bed (back flips forward to reveal twin mattress) is only sleeping location on that side (no upper berth).

View attachment 743012

The living area and storage on located on one side of the cabin:

View attachment 743013

The bathroom is behind the wall in the left of the photo below:

View attachment 743014
Oooh, I've seen this layout and want to try it! I usually sail with my parents, though, and we though the single bathroom might be a deal breaker (we've been spoiled by the split bathroom layout, I guess!).

I’ll happily trade overall space for a second sink. We will book a Sideways interior on the Magic or Wonder with its single bathroom to get more functional cabin space (and cheapest cabin, not a GTY). We have never run into problems with bathroom time, even with 3 guests. There are always clean public bathrooms. And some like to use the better showers in the spa, anyway.

I consider these to be the real secret cabins on Disney, especially as they are oceanview pricing (at the top end of that group).

There are more Cat 8A cabins, but some have a pole for ceiling support or odd furniture and TV locations.
Thank you for sharing that perspective! I will keep that in mind next time we book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter