Getting outpriced, am I the only one?

I heard this a lot on our last few cruises. On our last two cruises we were the only platinum cruisers. Most of the ship was first time cruisers. Many of the ones I talked to said this was a big splurge for them and I got the feeling they were one and done. Our table mates went all out with expensive excursions. Their kids were young teens and they were definitely one and done.
I'm not sure they enjoyed it as much as they thought they would.
I think DCL will continue to fill the ships with the first time cruises that want to give their kids a Disney cruise, but I think the number of platinum cruisers will decline. We would have never reached Gold much less platinum at these prices.

We are big Disney fans. Likely have been to Disney world 15 times or more in 7 years. Booked the cruise because they're are so many options I ended up just spending the extra thinking I know I can't go wrong with Disney. I think Disney does a great job but the service is actually over the top for me. I would rather have had one dinner server instead of two and had my room made up once a day instead of twice and saved some money. We had an aft room deck 6 and the first few days it felt like be were on a pogo stick in bed from the vibrations. The weather was awesome but I didn't expect the wind to be so cold. All I could think was I could easily have saved money and likely had as much fun on another cruise line and certainly would have had more fun for less money at Aulani

You should. TAs apparently get amazing prices on select sailings. He told me the prices he got 2 or 3 times. Those departing from NYC, Galveston or San Juan during low season or outside of Spring Break were surprisingly affordable.
I didn't mean it, really. I couldn't give up teaching. I wish the people who teach those kids that are having fun all over the ships got some sort of discount. ;)

I didn't mean it, really. I couldn't give up teaching. I wish the people who teach those kids that are having fun all over the ships got some sort of discount. ;)

Teaching must take most of your time...

But people sell trips as part time jobs so they can still do their main job + take advantage of good rates.

Worse! they only have 4.... they will have 7 when they finish building their next class of ships in 2024.

I do think the almost doubling of the cruise line should help slow the ever rising Disney cruise rates. (Especially off season) but only time will tell.

I think he meant 'if'. It may slow down the price rise but they will still be a lot more expensive than other lines.

We sailed the Breeze out of Galveston and LOVED it. To each his own I suppose. I round the Breeze offered superior options in the buffet and poolside. Guys burgers was awesome as was the Burrito place (loved the breakfast burrito too). We paid for a Jr. Suite on the Breeze for a September Western Caribbean 7 day in 2016 and then sailed the Wonder 7 day out of Galveston to the Bahamas in January 2017. This was after the Wonder refurbishment in November 2016. We loved both cruises and the Wonder definitely reminded us we were sailing Disney in all the great ways. However, the Breeze was almost half the price for what turned out to be a very wonderful experience. Given the price difference again, I'd choose Carnival, so long as it was one of their newer ships.

Generally agree, but I did notice a few other differences that matter to me.
1) Disney staterooms with verandah have a sliding door and not a swinging one. They ask that you not leave it open, but you can and I love to do that (not for extended periods). It's nice to get that fresh air into the cabin. The smell of the ocean is cathartic.
2) The way they arrange the rooms is better. On Disney you can pull the privacy shade and cut off the main bed from the sitting area (and door to the verandah. I like to go out on the verandah in the morning while my wife sleeps. With Disney, I just pull the privacy curtain and I can sit in the room or out on the verandah and not bother her. The other ships we've been on put the main bed next to the window, making it difficult to separate the two areas.
3) The beds are more comfortable. In every way possible.

1) They ask you to not leave it open for a reason, it will affect the AC plus it's saves energy but i do realise a lot of Americans are not bothered by that. Plus the balcony doors on both RCI and Princess are sliding doors.
2) On Princess our beds are not situated near the window. The siting area is.
3) We found the beds on RCI were just as comfortable as DCL. That can of course be a personal preference as my daughter prefers hard beds and i like soft beds. We wait to see what the beds on Princess are like but as our ship is going into dry dock before we get on and being fitted with new luxury mattresses i don't think we will have any complaints after hearing the reviews on them.

Last edited:
We are big Disney fans. Likely have been to Disney world 15 times or more in 7 years. Booked the cruise because they're are so many options I ended up just spending the extra thinking I know I can't go wrong with Disney. I think Disney does a great job but the service is actually over the top for me. I would rather have had one dinner server instead of two and had my room made up once a day instead of twice and saved some money. We had an aft room deck 6 and the first few days it felt like be were on a pogo stick in bed from the vibrations. The weather was awesome but I didn't expect the wind to be so cold. All I could think was I could easily have saved money and likely had as much fun on another cruise line and certainly would have had more fun for less money at Aulani
Which ship were you on?

Aulani is priced like a WDW deluxe resort and is therefore pretty expensive, especially when you factor in airline tickets to & from Hawaii. Have you already purchased DVC, & that's why it seems inexpensive to you?

Last edited:

1) They ask you to not leave it open for a reason, it will affect the AC plus it's saves energy but i do realise a lot of Americans are not bothered by that. Plus the balcony doors on both RCI and Princess are sliding doors.
2) On Princess our beds are not situated near the window. The siting area is.
3) We found the beds on RCI were just as comfortable as DCL. That can of course be a personal preference as my daughter prefers hard beds and i like soft beds. We wait to see what the beds on Princess are like but as our ship is going into dry dock before we get on and being fitted with new luxury mattresses i don't think we will have any complaints after hearing the reviews on them.
I don't know why, but your response makes me feel like I need to defend myself a bit.
Yes, I know it is about the A/C. I don't leave the door open for hours on end and I don't do it when it's really hot outside anyway. I'm not interested in turning my stateroom into a sauna. But seriously, those staterooms can get a bit stuffy and a little fresh air is good. I've never had a balcony on Royal Caribbean so good to know they also slide open. Carnival does not.
I'm also aware that with the numerous cruise lines that are out there, there are also numerous different room configurations. My comments were not to be argumentative, but rather to point out some additional differences I've noticed with Disney that are different from several other lines (but clearly not all other lines).
Yes, the comfort of the beds is subjective. I like Marriott, but don't like Hilton for example. I can't stay at a LaQuinta for more than a night or two. The beds on Disney are the most comfortable I've slept on for any cruise ship, but I obviously have not been on every line. It's clear to me that they are an upgrade though.

Just curious what cruise line you decided to cruise on. I'm asking because I want to do a Baltic cruise next year, and I'm about 99% sure DCL will be out of my budget.
It's funny how kids interests change. My 15 year old is aged out the Disney stuff...kind of prefers land trips over cruises now. He used to like nature now he likes visiting the big cities. My 13 year old still loves all things Disney. Hopefully your kids like the same things mine have completely different interests.

Different poster, but we’re booked on Norwegian for a Baltic cruise next summer. Disney itineraries and prices for then aren’t out yet, but I’m assuming the price will keep us from switching. Especially on a port-heavy itinerary. If we had a princess-obsessed daughter, that would obviously change the value, but our son can take or leave Disney. We’ve done Norwegian before, so we know where to set our expectations. It’s just over $5,000 for the three of us for I think 10 days.

I don't know why, but your response makes me feel like I need to defend myself a bit.
Yes, I know it is about the A/C. I don't leave the door open for hours on end and I don't do it when it's really hot outside anyway. I'm not interested in turning my stateroom into a sauna. But seriously, those staterooms can get a bit stuffy and a little fresh air is good. I've never had a balcony on Royal Caribbean so good to know they also slide open. Carnival does not.
I'm also aware that with the numerous cruise lines that are out there, there are also numerous different room configurations. My comments were not to be argumentative, but rather to point out some additional differences I've noticed with Disney that are different from several other lines (but clearly not all other lines).
Yes, the comfort of the beds is subjective. I like Marriott, but don't like Hilton for example. I can't stay at a LaQuinta for more than a night or two. The beds on Disney are the most comfortable I've slept on for any cruise ship, but I obviously have not been on every line. It's clear to me that they are an upgrade though.

No need to defend yourself and i didn't take your comments as being argumentative, just really stating my view on the points you highlighted. :thumbsup2

I feel the same way. We are booked on our first non Disney cruise this year to Alaska. Been twice on the Wonder, but I can get a mini suite on NCL for three people for the same price as a standard inside on Disney. For Alaska it's about the destination and the balcony is a must for me.

I will continue to cruise Disney, but it looks like I will only be doing the longer cruises like the Panama Canal. Might throw in one from Galveston since I don't have to use flight to get there.

I feel the same way. We are booked on our first non Disney cruise this year to Alaska. Been twice on the Wonder, but I can get a mini suite on NCL for three people for the same price as a standard inside on Disney. For Alaska it's about the destination and the balcony is a must for me.

I will continue to cruise Disney, but it looks like I will only be doing the longer cruises like the Panama Canal. Might throw in one from Galveston since I don't have to use flight to get there.

I would love to continue to cruise with Disney but at the prices at the moment it won't be any time in the future. We are booked on a 14 night Mediterranean cruise with Princess (mini suite) for less money than a 4 night Bahamas cruise with DCL (stateroom with balcony) . No competition i am afraid :sad1:

Our table mates said if they cruised again it wouldn't be on DCl. I got the feeling they didn't feel it was worth the money. The probably spent more on excursions then I did on the whole cruise. We've stayed away from DCL excursions. I've done a couple and was disappointed both times. I think the more I cruise and travel the better I get at cutting costs. Some people book everything through Disney for convenience, overspend in the gift shop, spa treatments, photo packages and walk away with a huge bill and say never again.

Different poster, but we’re booked on Norwegian for a Baltic cruise next summer. Disney itineraries and prices for then aren’t out yet, but I’m assuming the price will keep us from switching. Especially on a port-heavy itinerary. If we had a princess-obsessed daughter, that would obviously change the value, but our son can take or leave Disney. We’ve done Norwegian before, so we know where to set our expectations. It’s just over $5,000 for the three of us for I think 10 days.
I've cruised on the NCL Getaway a few years ago. I didn't realize NCL cruises were out for 2019. I'll have to check it out. My kids didn't like the clubs on NCL, but they are teens now and I think it would be a better fit for them.

Which ship were you on?

Aulani is priced like a WDW deluxe resort and is therefore pretty expensive, especially when you factor in airline tickets to & from Hawaii. Have you already purchased DVC, & that's why it seems inexpensive to you?

Yes I have DVC already, it costs about 1.5 years of points (I have 135 points per year) to stay for a week in an ocean view studio which is about $1300 or so. I should note that at this point I actually could say that its not even $1300 I could say that it is FREE because I bought my points resale 4 years ago and the cost I could sell my points for now ($98 a point it seems) vs the price I paid 4 years ago for them ($74 a point) actually just about covers the maintenance fees that I have paid over those 4 years at Saratoga springs (less than $6 a point per year)

Last edited:
Our table mates said if they cruised again it wouldn't be on DCl. I got the feeling they didn't feel it was worth the money. The probably spent more on excursions then I did on the whole cruise. We've stayed away from DCL excursions. I've done a couple and was disappointed both times. I think the more I cruise and travel the better I get at cutting costs. Some people book everything through Disney for convenience, overspend in the gift shop, spa treatments, photo packages and walk away with a huge bill and say never again.

I am just looking at the $6500 for a verandah room vs the $1300 I could spend on maintenance fees for my DVC points for an Oceanview studio at Aulani to make my comparison. For me the flight is about $1200 more for my family to get to Hawaii vs Florida from Toronto (or Buffalo in the case of Florida we are equal drive to both airports), I figure my family might spend $2000 on food since prices in Hawaii are high but that still leaves $2000 left over (cost to get to and from the airport vs cost to rent a car in Hawaii for a week is the same)

I am just looking at the $6500 for a verandah room vs the $1300 I could spend on maintenance fees for my DVC points for an Oceanview studio at Aulani to make my comparison. For me the flight is about $1200 more for my family to get to Hawaii vs Florida from Toronto (or Buffalo in the case of Florida we are equal drive to both airports), I figure my family might spend $2000 on food since prices in Hawaii are high but that still leaves $2000 left over (cost to get to and from the airport vs cost to rent a car in Hawaii for a week is the same)
Which ship were you on, that had the vibration issues?

I've cruised on the NCL Getaway a few years ago. I didn't realize NCL cruises were out for 2019. I'll have to check it out. My kids didn't like the clubs on NCL, but they are teens now and I think it would be a better fit for them.

NCL released most of their 2019 schedule back in December. Some of the northern European cruises have yet to be released for some reason, though the Baltic itinerary has.

I'll just mention something because I've seen it discussed quite a bit on Cruise Critic. When NCL started using the Getaway / Breakaway (depending on the summer) for the Baltic route, there were a lot of complaints about them not always being able to dock directly in Stockholm. Apparently due to the size of those ships, they can't always sail all the way to Stockholm due to weather conditions and end up docking a good ways away from the city center. Depending on who you listen to, that either isn't a big deal or it ruined their entire cruise. :sad: I understand that the sail in to Stockholm is pretty spectacular so you could miss out on that, and I'm sure it also reduces your time in Stockholm a bit, but personally it wouldn't deter me from choosing that cruise. Just something you might want to check on if any of that's important to you.

I have a DCL Med cruise booked for this upcoming summer. I constantly see people saying other cruise lines are a lot less money. I have searched and searched, and really don't find that to be true. I think the difference though is that there are only 2 of us travelling. I think with only 2, the price difference just isn't much. I think it is when you have more than 2 travelers, there is a much bigger difference. Also, when I look at some of the other ships, I really don't see much that my daughter would enjoy. Maybe when she's older. She is super happy right now, because as of our cruise that we just took in January, she could go to the Oceaneer's Club/Lab AND Edge. She was constantly busy with super fun activities.

Which ship were you on, that had the vibration issues?

The Fantasy, we were in room 6662 and just returned yesterday. The vibrations were terrible the first two days and then after that they seemed to calm down mostly (or we got used to them). They were not really noticeable anywhere except in our room (an likely other rooms also but not in the hallway). If you put a pillow on the bed and stood back it was easily visible that it was shaking quite a considerable amount. And of course sleeping on it felt pretty bad due to the shaking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter