• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting off the ship in Nassau (briefly)

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
We're going on a 3 night Wish cruise, and it's my kids' first time cruising. I was explaining the itinerary to my family and my 9 year old son was aghast when I mentioned we'd be staying on the ship in Nassau. Maybe he'll change his mind once we're on board and he realizes how much there is to do on the ship, but if he truly neeeeeds to get off, is there a safe and easy way to say, visit a beach for just a couple of hours? I've never been to Nassau, other than a family trip to Atlantis when I was a teenager, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area. Thanks :-)

We've been to Nassau a few times as we usually enjoy 3 or 4 day cruises out of Port Canaveral. This past October when we were docked at Nassau it looked like the Port Authority building was under construction but what we have done in the past is off boarded the ship to take a wander around the main street of Nassau down to the Straw Market. We didn't see anything tempting to purchase and truthfully all the sales heckling puts me off. However it is a colorful place, the walk is easy, you can stay safely in plain view and it doesn't take much time but would give him a flavor of Nassau. It's mainly an adult activity and, once he figures out he doesn't need a purse, scarf or sunglasses, he'll be ready to re-board.

We have cruised to nassau once. Got off walked around the shops. Made the mistake to eat at Senior Frogs which was blah but still enjoyed the time. We are debating getting off this time around in August as we want our granddaughter to be able to experience the cruise. We will let her decide what she wants to do and for reference she will be 7 time of cruise.

You can walk to Junkanoo beach, it’s free, you can rent chairs. The old Hilton offers a beach day pass for around $25, beach, restrooms, you can purchase food and drinks I think.

I enjoyed it too .... it's actually much more of a museum then a kids attraction but my kids enjoyed it too. We usually couple a visit with a short horse buggy city tour. I negotiate the price for a tour ending at the museum then we walk back to the shops - so we're just running the shopping street one time.

We're going on a 3 night Wish cruise, and it's my kids' first time cruising. I was explaining the itinerary to my family and my 9 year old son was aghast when I mentioned we'd be staying on the ship in Nassau. Maybe he'll change his mind once we're on board and he realizes how much there is to do on the ship, but if he truly neeeeeds to get off, is there a safe and easy way to say, visit a beach for just a couple of hours? I've never been to Nassau, other than a family trip to Atlantis when I was a teenager, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area. Thanks :-)
He'd enjoy the ship much more on the stop in Nassau.

I would never NOT get off the ship, especially if part of the family has never been to a particular destination! Too many people stay on so you're not getting any break from the crowds. We've been to Nassau many times and always found things to do. This is a great walking tour - https://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/walking-tours. You'll find yourself somewhere near the pirate museum towards the end so you can always stop in. We did this tour with my daughter and she enjoyed it. If your son was aghast, it sounds like he'd be disappointed if you didn't get off the ship for at least a little while. My daughter is the same. If you don't do the walking tour, at least get off the ship and explore the town for a little while. See the straw market, check some stores, walk along the water, and then head back.

Last edited:
You can walk to Junkanoo beach, it’s free, you can rent chairs. The old Hilton offers a beach day pass for around $25, beach, restrooms, you can purchase food and drinks I think.

Hilton closed permanently last year and I think it's been a long, long time since it was $25!

I agree that there is value in getting off the ship to see a different country, even if it's just for an hour or two. (Castaway Cay is technically in the Bahamas as well, but it does not have the feel of a different country.) My family has stayed onboard for 3 of our 5 stops in Nassau, but we did get off once when my son was old enough to appreciate the sights and again when my daughter was old enough.

Any suggestions for what to do in Nassau? We will be there for a day in February. I looked at the link above but found the reviews questionable.

Good to hear but the latest review isn't great. Mentions that the pool was empty! We loved the pool. Looks like food is no longer included. I'm not a fan of Margaritaville so I'll wait to see what they do with the place.
Yes, that’s why it’s so cheap, just a beach and restrooms, with food for purchase. Junkanoo is free, but you need to rend chairs and umbrellas, so probably a similar cost.

Good for him. I strongly believe that you should try and get off the ship in each port if you have not been to that location before. In my mind that is the beauty of traveling to see other places and experience new things. A few things. I have heard that the pirate museum is fun. There used to be a port excursion that took you to the Junkanoo Museum, Port Charlotte, and the Queen's staircase. This was a fantastic excursion and my kids really enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter