Getting from the airport to HKDL with kids

jlindley9

Permanecer sentados, por favor
This summer, my wife's family is having a reunion in the Philippines. We're going to be stopping in Hong Kong for a few days on the way back to go to Disneyland.

At first I was planning on taking the MTR from the airport to Disneyland. It looks very convenient and my DS2 loves trains. However, as I look at the layout of the resort, I'm thinking it will be a pain to get from the MTR station to the Disneyland Hotel where we'll be staying with 2 kids and a couple of suitcases.

Any suggestions? My only concern with the taxi is that lack of child seats for the kids.

Thanks!

There's a free Disney shuttle bus that runs from the MTR station to both the hotels every 10-15 minutes.

The train in HK is great! You will need to transfer twice between the airport and Disney, but it's very easy. As BillyBuff mentioned, there is a shuttle bus from the train station to the hotels. This is just the regular hotel shuttle that goes to the parks - where it stops is accessible to both the parks and the train station.

We got a shuttle bus from the airport (booked by our TA before we had a chance to object) and would advise very strongly against that. So much time wasted sitting around waiting, being ferried from one gathering point to another etc. If we'd have caught the train we could have been checked in and ready to go to the parks by the time we got on that darn bus!

For my upcoming trip, I am definitely taking the train :thumbsup2

jlindley9 - The train from HK Airport to DL is really easy to catch. With the bus from the MTR station taking you to the resort, it is really convenient to travel this way. Should you choose to travel this way, there will be no real issues.

However....you'll have two kids and a few bags with you. The hardest bit could well be the interchange at Sunny Bay. Depending on the platforms, you could have a longer walk there from platform to platform. And the station has a number of floors; so you might find that you'd be wheeling the bags around up, down and quite a long way. It is quite doable but depending on whether your kids need to be carried or not; it may seem an exceedingly long way!

If you do take a taxi, it will be door to door service. I believe that I ended up paying about $18 (in our money terms) for the taxi. From your post, I believe that your concern is the lack of child restraints. Only you can determine how much of a risk this is for you and your family.

jlindley9 - The train from HK Airport to DL is really easy to catch. With the bus from the MTR station taking you to the resort, it is really convenient to travel this way. Should you choose to travel this way, there will be no real issues.

However....you'll have two kids and a few bags with you. The hardest bit could well be the interchange at Sunny Bay. Depending on the platforms, you could have a longer walk there from platform to platform. And the station has a number of floors; so you might find that you'd be wheeling the bags around up, down and quite a long way. It is quite doable but depending on whether your kids need to be carried or not; it may seem an exceedingly long way!

If you do take a taxi, it will be door to door service. I believe that I ended up paying about $18 (in our money terms) for the taxi. From your post, I believe that your concern is the lack of child restraints. Only you can determine how much of a risk this is for you and your family.

I thought I remembered that there were lifts at Sunny Bay :confused3 Maybe I'm getting confused with another station. If not, then yes it could be a hike from one platform to another with kids and suitcases in tow.

I thought I remembered that there were lifts at Sunny Bay :confused3 Maybe I'm getting confused with another station. If not, then yes it could be a hike from one platform to another with kids and suitcases in tow.

There are lifts at Sunny Bay. We didn't use them because we had 4 adults and an 11yo in tow; all capable of carrying their medium (and light) luggage up the stairs. But we had to cross from one platform to another.

I'm pretty sure this is Sunny Bay station.

0403HKDLDay195.jpg

We had to walk from the platform at the other side, head up along the passage (I think you might be able to see a person doing that in the picture below), cross over and then come down on this side of the Disney Resort line.

0403HKDLDay194.jpg

Not an issue if you have enough hands to manage everything. But I'm not sure how old the OP's kids are....one is 2; the other 7 (from the siggie??). If they have a stroller as well; or if the kids run in opposite directions, then it might be a little bit more to negotiate.

Well I'm glad I wasn't imagining things :thumbsup2

Not having had much to do with kids, I don't really think about those sorts of things :rotfl:

Thank you for the head's up. I think it will still be worth the trouble. We won't have a stroller, but no worries of DD7 wandering off and I imagine DW will be carrying DS2. I'm hoping we'll just have 2 suitcases and a backpack, which I can handle, so I don't think it will be too bad.

My understanding is that we have to change trains twice, once at Tsing Yi and then again at Sunny Bay. Do we need to change platforms at Tsing Yi too?

Thanks again!

My understanding is that we have to change trains twice, once at Tsing Yi and then again at Sunny Bay. Do we need to change platforms at Tsing Yi too?

I'm not sure what the situation is at Tsing Yi, but I can report back after my trip as I'll be taking the train between the airport and DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter