Getting from Santa Monica hotel to Disneyland return

kiwitinkerbell

kiwigirl
Hi. As we have booked (coming from New Zealand) we can't change our dates and we will be visiting Disney after our cruise Monday to Friday January 13-17 (fly back to New Zealand Friday). It seems from what I have been told and read that we will not be able to see fireworks. We are a family party of 10 and 7 of the party have never been to Disney before. We do have a few days at Santa Monica before our cruise and could visit the park for one day January 1st. I know it will be incredibly busy. Do you think it would be worth it to see the Xmas decorations and fireworks? We would still go Jan 13-17 to do the parks when not so busy. Our other problem would be how to get to the park from our hotel in san a Monica if we did decide to do it?
I would love your advice / thoughts.

Hi. As we have booked (coming from New Zealand) we can't change our dates and we will be visiting Disney after our cruise Monday to Friday January 13-17 (fly back to New Zealand Friday). It seems from what I have been told and read that we will not be able to see fireworks. We are a family party of 10 and 7 of the party have never been to Disney before. We do have a few days at Santa Monica before our cruise and could visit the park for one day January 1st. I know it will be incredibly busy. Do you think it would be worth it to see the Xmas decorations and fireworks? We would still go Jan 13-17 to do the parks when not so busy. Our other problem would be how to get to the park from our hotel in san a Monica if we did decide to do it?
I would love your advice / thoughts.
LOL it depends on how much you enjoy Christmas! I think I heard that NY Day is not as crowded as NY Eve (Dec 31) in recent years.

IMO it is not worth the extra effort go on Jan 1. However, Disney does start to close rides for refurb and holiday overlay removal after Christmas season ends (likely Sunday January 5 will be the final day). The fireworks will be Christmas fireworks and not any kind of regular DL fireworks. I would still say it is not worth the hassle but if the group are Disney fans and for most it is their first time, it may be worth it mostly to see the things that will close on Jan 6 (that would be my focus).

:wizard:

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it for fireworks alone. Be aware that fireworks can be canceled due to weather conditions, wind in particular, so I would never absolutely count on fireworks and plan a whole visit around them. Disney recently started a nighttime projections show that incorporates fireworks on weekends but still runs without them on weeknights or when fireworks can't be fired off due to wind. It is possible that this new show or something similar will be running during your planned visit so that you may still experience a nighttime light and projection show even without fireworks.

Thanks for your replies. I think you are probably right. I just didn’t want them to miss out but it seems too expensive (and difficult) to get there from Santa Monica.
Thanks again.

I'll throw in a dissenting opinion! We (kiwis!) visit Disney often and we always stay in SM before we head down. (I'm guessing you can't swap out your SM hotel for one in Anaheim the night before, which would be the best option. ) It's definitely not difficult to get there - you could look at ubering either way, or look at a limo service. A local could chime in on traffic but you might be surprised - a quick trip there is 40-50 mins which is not too bad. (with 10 people you'd definitely hit the carpool lanes:) )
The OP is right: you might not see the fireworks as they do tend to be cancelled with weather. But the Xmas decorations are really worthwhile anyway, and some rides as the other OP said (Haunted mansion is a good example) are likely to be closed when you come later. (there is a link somewhere to previous post holiday closures.) So you might think it worthwhile just to do that. Crowds are an issue, but if you are not intending to ride too many things (you can do that later) and you just want to soak up the atmosphere, then it's an option, especially if you don't plan to be back around that time soon. You could also take advantage of MAXpass if necessary.
As for ticket expense you may be able to add a day to your passes at a lower cost than buying a single day.. .depends on what pass you have and how many days are on it.
So that's another way to look at it!

I'll throw in a dissenting opinion! We (kiwis!) visit Disney often and we always stay in SM before we head down. (I'm guessing you can't swap out your SM hotel for one in Anaheim the night before, which would be the best option. ) It's definitely not difficult to get there - you could look at ubering either way, or look at a limo service. A local could chime in on traffic but you might be surprised - a quick trip there is 40-50 mins which is not too bad. (with 10 people you'd definitely hit the carpool lanes:) )
The OP is right: you might not see the fireworks as they do tend to be cancelled with weather. But the Xmas decorations are really worthwhile anyway, and some rides as the other OP said (Haunted mansion is a good example) are likely to be closed when you come later. (there is a link somewhere to previous post holiday closures.) So you might think it worthwhile just to do that. Crowds are an issue, but if you are not intending to ride too many things (you can do that later) and you just want to soak up the atmosphere, then it's an option, especially if you don't plan to be back around that time soon. You could also take advantage of MAXpass if necessary.
See "Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124

As for ticket expense you may be able to add a day to your passes at a lower cost than buying a single day.. .depends on what pass you have and how many days are on it.
So that's another way to look at it!
Since the OP's main dates are more than 13 days after Jan 1, a separate ticket will be needed. And it would need to be a parkhopper for Jan 1 to see all the decorations at both parks.

Thanks so much. Gosh looking at the historical park hours refurb and entertainment for mid January it does seem we will probably miss haunted mansion and quite s bit of the extras as far as entertainment goes. Immmm I’ll have to have a big think. Thanks though for the great information.

I had a quick look at the refurbs too.... they vary quite a bit! The rides don't seem too bad, but yes the entertainment does get a bit quiet. Good luck with your planning!

Another Kiwi here :jester:

if most of the party haven't been to Disney before, I don't really know if it matter that not everything is running. I remember our first trip, not really knowing what we were doing, realising when we got back just how much we didn't do. But we still had an amazing time as there was all the amazing stuff to see and do that was all new.

Here is what we didn't do on our first 5 day trip (kids were 4 & 7 so impacted some of the ride options):
Space
Splash (somehow it took me 4 visits before I did this, rest of the family still haven't)
Big Thunder (refurb)
Matterhorn
Animation Academy
Midway Mania

A one off trip from SM is going to be a logistical effort for one day and you will be missing out on the coolness that is SM. I vote just go when you go and be prepared that not everything will be open, but Disneyland will still be magical

Hehehe I'm in the minority here!:rotfl:
OP makes really good points too!
Just FYI , you may have this covered, but if you want any tips on what to do in SM ask away. (My sister lived there for years). We actually did New Year's there a couple of years ago. We struck the 'marine layer' ...better known as fog!
And of course one other option is a day at Universal if that isn't already on your itinerary.Not sure of the ages travelling but Harry Potter is pretty cool.
Whatever you decide this will be a great trip!

I would just stay put in Santa Monica. Mostly because I'm biased and it's our favorite beach to visit!! We recently took a trip there for my birthday and stayed at the Georgian Hotel. There's quite a bit to look at on the pier, plus just relaxing on the beach that a couple days would be a good length of dedicated time to SM.

Christmas is beautiful at Disneyland, but I just don't know if it would be worth the crowds and transportation logistics to get down there. I believe it's an hour (give or take) each way, so that would be kind of a bummer.

Hehehe I'm in the minority here!:rotfl:
OP makes really good points too!
Just FYI , you may have this covered, but if you want any tips on what to do in SM ask away. (My sister lived there for years). We actually did New Year's there a couple of years ago. We struck the 'marine layer' ...better known as fog!
And of course one other option is a day at Universal if that isn't already on your itinerary.Not sure of the ages travelling but Harry Potter is pretty cool.
Whatever you decide this will be a great trip!

Ohhh yes please would love some ideas on what to do in and around Santa Monica. Thank you so much! We arrive December 30 and leave on our cruise jan 4. 7 of our family group have never been to LA before so I’m thinking they could do a city highlights tour/Hollywood one day and it would have been wonderful if they could go universal from Santa Monica rather than from when we are in Anaheim as that would take away from Disney days but universal will be so busy during new year so again not sure what the best option is. I know they could buy a pass that allows them to skip the lines but for a family of 4 that’s quite a cost. They are going to do knotts berry farm the day we transfer from our hotel at citadel outlets to Anaheim do will have 3 full days left for Disney.

Would also love any recommendations on family friendly restaurants inside and outside the parks. The children aren't too young though, 14, 14, 12 and 11.

Would also love any recommendations on family friendly restaurants inside and outside the parks. The children aren't too young though, 14, 14, 12 and 11.
Being Disney, everything is family friendly of course. But some ones you might like:

DCA Quick Service
Flo's V-8 Cafe
Pacific Wharf Cafe

DCA Table Service
Nothing I am very excited about, but Wine Country Tratorria is a fine place

DL Quick Service
Jolly Holiday Bakery
Plaza Inn

DL Table Service
Cafe Orleans

DTD and Hotels
Tortilla Jo's

I'd second the Tortilla Joe's suggestion... booked in next Wednesday :flower1: We also like Rancho de zocalo by BTMR (one vegetarian in the family...)
Remember there are meal+ show deals too. It's possible WOC might be on during your dates, or Frozen, in which case you can buy a lunch or dinner deal from particular restaurants which includes preferred viewing. If you are buying a park meal it makes sense to me to pick up this benefit. You can find them in the Disney dining options.

Also remember character dining. Your kids are older than ours were when we first started going to the parks but even as young teens they still enjoyed the atmosphere.

Now... Santa Monica tips. Depending on when you arrive and leave you have quite a few days there. It's relatively small and walkable area, although NZers are sometimes taken aback by the numbers of homeless there.(not that we've solved that.....) I'd suggest
  • hiring bikes and riding along the beach in either direction: to Venice is easy, or further towards Malibu. Or you can just walk. (good to do if you are on the earlier Air NZ flight and have a spare afternoon) Muscle beach is always fun.
  • You can also walk along Abbott Kinney in Venice and check out the shops, restaurants and food trucks!.
  • Hitting the pier rides (probably an hour or two with the age group you have) Again fun on the first day.
  • Shopping on 3rd st... it's a pedestrian mall, anchored with department stores at one end. Pretty much all the brand names are represented.
  • You can do universal from SM. Funnily enough it will take only a little less time than a quick trip to Disney! Allow 40min to 1 hour to get there.Def quicker than from Anaheim to universal. A day is plenty there, but go early.
  • I'd tend to stay away from a highlights tour, just because of the amount of driving involved ( or at least opt for one that doesn't spend too mch time getting between sights) and opt for doing things instead. Hollywood itself is not much to see, and you can do the walk of stars etc in a very short time! Again you could uber there and then go to the Grove shops if that's your thing. But Sunset Boulevard/Beverley Hills are nice to drive through.
  • One thing that is fun is the Warner Bros tour, which actually takes you through working studio sets. I think your kids are all old enough (they have an age range limit)
  • Also within reach are the Getty museums... one is about 15 mins away, the other is in Malibu.
  • eating wise, there are loads of family friendly places in SM. You'll have no trouble finding them.
The only thing I'd flag is the weather. It could be absolutely beautiful or it might be a bit gloomy and cold, especially at night. Make sure you throw in a sweatshirt and jeans, maybe the trusty Kathmandu puffer, just in case!

I'd second the Tortilla Joe's suggestion... booked in next Wednesday :flower1: We also like Rancho de zocalo by BTMR (one vegetarian in the family...)
Remember there are meal+ show deals too. It's possible WOC might be on during your dates, or Frozen, in which case you can buy a lunch or dinner deal from particular restaurants which includes preferred viewing. If you are buying a park meal it makes sense to me to pick up this benefit. You can find them in the Disney dining options.

Also remember character dining. Your kids are older than ours were when we first started going to the parks but even as young teens they still enjoyed the atmosphere.

Now... Santa Monica tips. Depending on when you arrive and leave you have quite a few days there. It's relatively small and walkable area, although NZers are sometimes taken aback by the numbers of homeless there.(not that we've solved that.....) I'd suggest
  • hiring bikes and riding along the beach in either direction: to Venice is easy, or further towards Malibu. Or you can just walk. (good to do if you are on the earlier Air NZ flight and have a spare afternoon) Muscle beach is always fun.
  • You can also walk along Abbott Kinney in Venice and check out the shops, restaurants and food trucks!.
  • Hitting the pier rides (probably an hour or two with the age group you have) Again fun on the first day.
  • Shopping on 3rd st... it's a pedestrian mall, anchored with department stores at one end. Pretty much all the brand names are represented.
  • You can do universal from SM. Funnily enough it will take only a little less time than a quick trip to Disney! Allow 40min to 1 hour to get there.Def quicker than from Anaheim to universal. A day is plenty there, but go early.
  • I'd tend to stay away from a highlights tour, just because of the amount of driving involved ( or at least opt for one that doesn't spend too mch time getting between sights) and opt for doing things instead. Hollywood itself is not much to see, and you can do the walk of stars etc in a very short time! Again you could uber there and then go to the Grove shops if that's your thing. But Sunset Boulevard/Beverley Hills are nice to drive through.
  • One thing that is fun is the Warner Bros tour, which actually takes you through working studio sets. I think your kids are all old enough (they have an age range limit)
  • Also within reach are the Getty museums... one is about 15 mins away, the other is in Malibu.
  • eating wise, there are loads of family friendly places in SM. You'll have no trouble finding them.
The only thing I'd flag is the weather. It could be absolutely beautiful or it might be a bit gloomy and cold, especially at night. Make sure you throw in a sweatshirt and jeans, maybe the trusty Kathmandu puffer, just in case!

Thank you so much farmfresh! This will really help with the planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter