Getting down to the nitty gritty--need tips

Sarahsmom85

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
Getting to that 30 day stage and am starting to put all the good info I learned on this site together. I'm marking my maps and planning my days.

My husband is an electric wheelchair user. We will be in Disney mid to end of May. Hopefully low crowds.

What I need to know is where the best w/c view for parades and fireworks are? I have make copies of all the diability pamphets.
I might park DH put the ponchos on ground to our spot and hit a ride he can't do. Since he will have to sit and wait on a few rides he might as well keep out spot. He's taking his pocket TV to keep him company while he waits. lol

Any other tips I should note?

We have our own transportant. (I am ok with the cost of it, really i am)

I need to mark the family bathrooms and the nurse office. (need to keep insulin cold)

Thanks for any help.
i will let you know if i have other questions.

Is there any reason you don't want to use the designated parade area for wheelchairs? they are very good spots usually but you do get packed in tight.

We will use W/c spot, I just want to know where the best ones are. Also my poor husband has to spend so much of the time just sitting and wait for us as it is, I just hate to wait an hour before a parade starts.

Half hour to 45 minutes across from Hall of the Presidents. One at the Town Square and the Hub seem to fill up faster.

Talkin Hands
is that for wishes or parade or both?
Sorry haven't been in 10 yrs with w/c and then we just stopped where we where and watched. LOL

How many are in your party? If it's busy (which it shuld not be when you are going), they may limit the number in the wheelchair area to the person with a disability plus one or two. Ask the CM in the area if they expect a "full house". The other suggestion I have is that some of the daytime parade areas are right in the sun, so scope them out ahead of time (they are marked on the park maps) to see if you need to find a different spot.
For Illuminations, see which way the wind is blowing. If it's blowing toward you, you will get all the smoke from the fireworks. The viewing areas by the Showcase Plaza (the entrance to WS) are very busy because a lot of people want to be close to the entrance to get ou after the show. The one near UK is nice, but DD ended up parked right behind a tree once there, so have your DH look at the space they tell him to park in with that in mind. There are people who don't intend to stay in their wheelchairs/ecvs, so they should really have the blocked views.
The nurse's office (First Aid) is marked on all the park maps with a white square in a blue cross. At MK, it's by the Crystal Palace, at Epcot it's by the Odyssey Center, Studio is to the left of the entrance, and AK is just after Pizzafari. All the First Aid offices have a Companion Restroom. Here's a link to the page that lists the restrooms.

I remember that you are staying off-site, but I thought you are flying in. If you are, stop at the Disney store in the airport to pick up park maps. Bring a permanent marker or grease pen to find and circle the things like restroom locaions.

Thanks Sue,
When we last went, maybe it was just less people went to Disney
or we didn't really know enough to make a difference, but i know we didn't wait for parades or fireworks, we would just stop where we where and watch.

I think I am overloaded with facts and figures. LOL

I love reading trip reports where fokes just grab a quick shower and hit the Disney trail, we who have a disabled person with us don't have it that easy. It takes me a good hour to get DH ready.
I am always the last dress, feed and able to lay down to sleep.
I need a vacation. Soon.....

Yes we are flying, we rented a w/c van.

Poor DH has been troubled with a pressure sore that he got during an hospital stay, we are bulking up with protein drink.
The sore is giving him a headache every time he is moved. Thankfully it is healing and he is have less and less headaches and they only last a few minutes. Hopefully they will be gone by the time we leave. Always something.

You all might as well know the rest of our life story. i have created a monster. I got him the 1000 live baseball games DishTV was offering for his birthday and now I'm afraid he will not leave the house. He trys to watch 4 or 5 games at one time (flippin back an forth) Up all day and night watching baseball.
Then he goes and tells me they offer this for football and basketball too. See i created a monster.

Well I think I will be scrapbooking all summer from my trip so he can watch his games. lol
Guess thats why I'm rattling on here, he's flipping the channels. not only do i need a vacation i need a life.

just wanted to chime in to say have a great time!

What is it with men and the remote?
Anyway, you will need another vacation this fall so that you can scrapbook all winter.;)
Hope you have a great trip.

I do have a $180 credit from Southwest that has to be used by Jan 05. Sorry Disboard but I'm thinkin Vegas.

For the parades. It probably would not be a good spot to see Wishes

Originally posted by Sarahsmom85
...I have make copies of all the disability pamphets.
I might park DH put the ponchos on ground to our spot and hit a ride he can't do. Since he will have to sit and wait on a few rides he might as well keep our spot. He's taking his pocket TV to keep him company while he waits. lol...
I cannot think of too many rides he will not be able to do, unless he cannot transfer from his chair to the ride vehicle. The only rides I can think of that are truly impossible for wheelchair users to use would be Peter Pan's Flight (which is a bit of a yawn anyway, IMO) and Pirates of the Caribbean (which I wish we could do). Some others require you to transfer to the ride vehicle, so if that's not possible I suppose those would be out too :( .

But this is one of the things I love about WDW: we go there and for a little while it doesn't matter that DS is wheelchair-bound because he can enjoy just about everything anyway. Nearly everything is adapted. Now if only those buffets worked better for those of us who are seated...

No, he does not transfer out of his chair. Too heavy for me to be lifting for a 2 or 3 minute ride. If he can't drive on it he will not be doing it. If you see someone dragging a hoyler lift aroun Disney it could be me. LOL After a two week vacation, lifting in and out of bed is enough for me. Hopefully I will still have a back left. We do a pivit transfer. We are not young anymore. I do not push wheelchairs anymore either. And don't get thinking I'm mean, DH is the most spoiled, waited on hand and foot quad you'd ever seen. LOL...

I WAS JUST TO DISNEY MAR 1 TO THE 11TH HAD NO PROBLEM WITH ELECTRIC WHEEL CHAIR I BROUGHT MY OWN AND RIDES LET US ON RIGHT AWAY AND THE BUSES WERE SO KIND THEY EIGHTER NEEL OR A RAMP COMES DOWN YOUR HUSBAND WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS AND AT RESTRAUNTS THEY ARE VERY ACCOMADATING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A FINE TIME:earseek:

Could you request a hoyer lift at the resort you will be staying at? I know many hotels do have them, but you must request it. I've never used one at Disney so I am not sure, but I would think they would have one. Any assistive device available is always appreciated.

The place we are renting the van from does rent lifts and other items but to rent these its very costly. We are renting a van for 16 days what I thought was going to cost around $1400 is now over $1600. They add a lot of extra taxes and fees. They are charging us $138 airport tax just to pick us up at the airport, the website says no pick-up fee. They say this is something the airport charges them. I think they should tell you ahead of time all the extra fees. They charged my debit card with out even checking with me first. I gave them my card no. way back in January, to hold the van. Then they just went and took the money, last week. They depleated me of all my ready cash. I did have the money for the van saved in a saving account. Good thing I caught it in time so that I could replace it. Accually I just got a no interest rate charge card until Oct which I was going to use. I though they would charge my card when I got to Florida.
just be very careful and get everything in writing, (which I did ask them for but they never sent) Anyone know if I can fight them on the airport fee, since it is not disclosed anywhere that i would have to pay that fee?
So I'm not going to be renting any other devices and paying a fortune to rent them.

I am sorry you had all these extra charges etc. Renting a converted van is a lot different though from renting something like a scooter or wheelchair etc. though.
I don't know which company you are using for the van, I contacted one and I was dubious so decided to make other arrangements.

Originally posted by pampam
Could you request a hoyer lift at the resort you will be staying at? I know many hotels do have them, but you must request it.

Some of the offsite companies that rent out ECVs, rent out medical equipment also.

Andrew

Sorry to hear of your unwelcome sorprise fees.
Between the taxes and all the different fees, our regular van ended up costing a lot more than we had been quoted too. (No wonder they can keep taxes low in Florida, they get all the money they can from people who visit).
Anyway, I know that these places are full service medical equipment dealers:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

The price is probably pretty similar where ever you would rent from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter