Getting around Fort Wilderness

ao824

Earning My Ears
Hi. New here. We've stayed at GF, YC, and PO a few times but thought we'd switch it up for something a bit quieter/slower. Fort Wilderness it seems may be a good fit. We will have our car with us.

I was told by a travel agent to expect long transportation times to get around the resort and to parks and to "adjust our expectations" as it is not similar to Deluxe resorts (not sure what this means). We're not in the room a lot and enjoy being active. We may or may not use the pools while there. Can anyone comment on getting to/from the parks, or internal points within the resort by way of golf cart?

Fort Wilderness is a large campground with numerous loops for RVs, travel travelers, and several tent site loops.

While bus service during the day can be slower when most campers are either at parks or swimming etc, I personally haven't found it to be much different than at other resorts.

A lot of people talk about renting golf carts, but we're of the mind it's not worth paying upwards of $60 per day.

As far as I know, you can't take golf carts to theme parks (if that's what you meant)

We're an older couple with time to wait, but if you have youngsters or a full schedule, taking a gc can save probably 20 +/- minutes per trip to Outpost or Settlement.

Last edited:
Hi. New here. We've stayed at GF, YC, and PO a few times but thought we'd switch it up for something a bit quieter/slower. Fort Wilderness it seems may be a good fit. We will have our car with us.

I was told by a travel agent to expect long transportation times to get around the resort and to parks and to "adjust our expectations" as it is not similar to Deluxe resorts (not sure what this means). We're not in the room a lot and enjoy being active. We may or may not use the pools while there. Can anyone comment on getting to/from the parks, or internal points within the resort by way of golf cart?
Your TA is correct.
You can not use your car to go anywhere.
It is a very large property.
They operate on an internal bus system.
You will switch to a boat to MK or to another bus to all other parks.
You can rent a golf cart to get around to save time IN campground.
Unlike Deluxe you usually can't just walk to the pool, food court, gift shop, front desk.
You will need to build travel time in to everything you do.

We opted to drive to all the parks except MK.

Like others have said, the Fort is huge. It is about 1 mile from the front (Outpost) to the Settlement, where Trails End (restaurant), Hoop-D-Doo (dinner show), horse barn (pony rides), one of the trading posts, Crockett's Tavern (bar) and the boat dock with boats to MK are located. The internal bus system gets you around with stops at the Outpost (buses to AK, HS, EPCOT and DS) and the Settlement. There are a few camping loops within a short walk to the Settlement bus depot. None of the cabin loops and most of the camping loops are not close to either the Outpost or the Settlement. Like any Disney transportation, patience is best. The internal buses are pretty reliable. There are 3 bus loops to cover all the camping loops and locations. When I was at the Fort in January, typical internal bus wait was around 5 minutes or less. The external buses to the parks are typical for any other resort bus. It could be a few minutes. It could be 20 or more.

Golf carts are a nice convenience, but definitely are not necessary. If the expense isn't a big deal (Fort carts are about $60/day), they are nice to have.

j

Last edited:

To add to what @Teamubr said there is a bus that shuttles back and forth to Wilderness Lodge (Yellow bus) that picks up and drops off at the Settlement bus stop.
I personally want the golf cart. It speeds up trips to and from bus stops and marina. Also we enjoy "looping". Running through the campsite loops on the golf cart to sightsee. We have rented and brought our own cart. There are quite a few on here that don't bother with carts and are completely happy doing without. Totally your call.
We love the pool, especially the one in the cabin loop. Lots of things to do in the Fort alone without even going to the parks (for us).
It's really the best kept secret on property!

we always get a cart, Like @Stratman50th and @Teamubr said, we like sight seeing and hitting the stores/marina/magic margarita window etc. we also enjoy the park buses, after a long career of driving, nice to let Disney shuttle me. But we usually stay 14 to 21 days so we are not in as big of a rush, I understand if you are only staying a week, waiting for a bus would be frustrating

Like others have said, the Fort is huge. It is about 1 mile from the front (Outpost) to the Settlement, where Trails End (restaurant), Hoop-D-Doo (dinner show), horse barn (pony rides), one of the trading posts, Crockett's Tavern (bar) and the boat dock with boats to MK are located. The internal bus system gets you around with stops at the Outpost (buses to AK, HS, EPCOT and DS) and the Settlement. There are a few camping loops within a short walk to the Settlement bus depot. None of the cabin loops and most of the camping loops are not close to either the Outpost or the Settlement. Like any Disney transportation, patience is best. The internal buses are pretty reliable. There are 3 bus loops to cover all the camping loops and locations. When I was at the Fort in January, typical internal bus wait was around 5 minutes or less. The external buses to the parks are typical for any other resort bus. It could be a few minutes. It could be 20 or more.

Golf carts are a nice convenience, but definitely are not necessary. If the expense isn't a big deal (Fort carts are about $60/day), they are nice to have.

j
If you are renting a trailer from an approved Disney vendor such as Meacham's RV then you can rent a cart from them A LOT cheaper than Disney charges and they will deliver it to your site when they deliver your trailer. However you cannot rent from them without renting one of their trailers.

Thank you for all of the replies! This is helpful!

It sounds like it's not as big of a deal as I'm hearing in terms of getting to the parks then -

Also, for those who have rented carts - does this be done ahead of time? We have a teen and a 7 year old; I think they'd really enjoy this. Can this be parked at the boat launch if we were to take this to MK (I assume this is running?) Thank you!

Also, for those who have rented carts - does this be done ahead of time? We have a teen and a 7 year old; I think they'd really enjoy this. Can this be parked at the boat launch if we were to take this to MK (I assume this is running?) Thank you!
I'm assuming you would be staying in a cabin? If you want a Disney cart you need to reserve as far out as possible, they go fast. There are companies off site that rent carts but you have to go pick them up. Not as difficult as you might think. They will meet you at a location offsite but close and even loan you their truck to take the cart over. Sometimes if timing works out there may be a cart being rented by someone else that you can pick up there when they are through with it.
Lots of cart parking at the marina area. Also, cart parking at Trail's End, the main outpost where you pick up park buses and the Meadows area where the main pool is and the other activities. Places to park carts where you can't take a car.

We've never stayed in the cabins, but we've camped in many of the loops, from the ones near the Settlement area to the ones near the campfire area to the ones closer to the Outpost area. We always had a car, never had a golf cart, and never found getting around to be problematic. We would usually drive to the parks (sometimes took a boat to the MK, which is actually easier than driving to TTC, or if our party chose to split up, a bus to another park). Within the Fort, we would ride bikes, walk to anything reasonably close and take the internal buses to anything far away. We never found it to be a problem.

Since you have a car, OP, getting to the parks is not that big an issue. Like mentioned above, we opt to drive to all but MK (and take the boat for it).

Within the Fort we walk or bike or bus.

The biggest issue I hear sometimes re: Fort & transportation is when people don't use a car and want to get to a rope drop/early spot in entrance line. Internal buses run less frequently early in the morning or late in the evening (and they don't run 24/7). But we forego a cart also.

Bama Ed

Also you are permitted to drive and park at the Meadows Trading Post to buy supplies, and you can drive and park at the front lot to take busses to the parks (other than MK).

The bus is really quick to MK even though it shares with Wilderness Lodge. Like 10 minutes.

The internal.bus is no different than the large resorts like Saratoga Springs, Riverside etc.

That said, we love a golf cart.

Also you are permitted to drive and park at the Meadows Trading Post to buy supplies, and you can drive and park at the front lot to take busses to the parks (other than MK).

The bus is really quick to MK even though it shares with Wilderness Lodge. Like 10 minutes.

The internal.bus is no different than the large resorts like Saratoga Springs, Riverside etc.

That said, we love a golf cart.
No parking cars at the Meadows Trading Post but there is a larg(ish) lot for golf carts to park in there. Internal transportation and golf carts are Disney's preferred method that you use to travel around The Fort.

No parking cars at the Meadows Trading Post but there is a larg(ish) lot for golf carts to park in there. Internal transportation and golf carts are Disney's preferred method that you use to travel around The Fort.
Oh interesting, I thought there was a 15 minute car parking to pick up your supplies. Sorry.

There are a couple of spaces there and one right across the street but it is very discouraged to use your car to get around so both of you are right :)

Oh interesting, I thought there was a 15 minute car parking to pick up your supplies. Sorry.

There are a couple of spaces there and one right across the street but it is very discouraged to use your car to get around so both of you are right :)

Yes WAY out on Fort Wilderness Trail (the road that runs down in front of the Meadow TP) across from the entrance to the 600 loop. It maybe has/had 3/4 spots. The pull-in spots near the TP itself are now nearly all given over to golf cart parking (might be 2/3 car spots IIRC).

So @amcc is correct. Car spots have been converted to golf cart spots and a golf cart lot expansion was added a few years ago (gravel back in the woods toward 1300 loop).

Bama Ed

Will ride share pick up and drop off directly at the cabins?

Will ride share pick up and drop off directly at the cabins?

No. Ride shares, taxis, etc. cannot go directly to cabins or campsites. They are to be met at the Outpost (check-in building area).

Direct-to-your-front-door is a privilege reserved for Disney's own Minnie Van service (to make it worth the extra cost I guess).

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter