"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" - A Running Journal

Joining in. I like to set out my plans too. Right now I am planned out through my June races. I like to know all that is in front of me. Impressed with the detail of your plan. Excited to follow along on your journey to Boston.

I'm intrigued by everyone who has their runs, mileage, etc., planned out many months in advance. It's been so long since I used a plan like the ones from Higdon or Hansons, I guess I forgot what it's like to do so. I get my workouts in one week or two week intervals which was a very good thing during my IM training. I would've been filled with fear had I looked out three months in advance and seen what my hours and miles were going to be.

I'm intrigued by everyone who has their runs, mileage, etc., planned out many months in advance. It's been so long since I used a plan like the ones from Higdon or Hansons, I guess I forgot what it's like to do so. I get my workouts in one week or two week intervals which was a very good thing during my IM training. I would've been filled with fear had I looked out three months in advance and seen what my hours and miles were going to be.

Same here...I have a coach that lays out the plan for me so I just really look at what the week ahead holds so I can try to figure out how I'm going to fit it all in. I haven't really had a plan stretching out months in advance since I did Hansons a few years ago.

Yesterday I mentioned how sometimes life happens. Well, I was not expecting it to happen so soon. After my treadmill run yesterday afternoon I get in my truck and start it. As I am moving some stuff around the lights flicker and the radio turns on/off. I was like....ummm whats going on here? I sit there a while and nothing else happens, so I take off. First bump I hit it does it again. Once that happened I had a clue of what was going on. I pulled over and opened the hood to confirm that the battery cables are full of corrosion. Made the trip home just fine, but knew it was a issue that I needed to fix ASAP. I get a few tools out and start getting the corrosion of the terminal and realize its more than just a simple cleaning job. The terminal is so thin that as I try to take it off the battery it snaps. HOUSTON we have a problem! Lucky for me the auto store is less than a mile from my home and is open till 10 PM. I would also like to include I own very few "tools" and not exactly a mechanical type of person. Went to the auto store told them my problem and they suggested the parts I needed. Well of course its the wrong part as I become more familiar with with I am doing. Return to the store around 9:30 PM get the correct part, or so I was hoping. Since it closed in 30 minutes it was either now or never type of deal. Lucky for me, the part was the correct one and had everything on by 10 PM. Of course I had to clean up the mess I made, shower, eat, ect. Didn't fall asleep to nearly midnight and with a 4:30 AM wake up and 7 miles to do, I decided 4 hours was just not going to be enough to get a run in worth while and mess up the rest of the week. So, I decided to run the 7 much later tonight when DW gets home from bible study.
So this morning thinking things are going well i pack up all my stuff and walk out the door. As I'm locking the door I feel something cold and wet... the milk is leaking! Get to go back inside, clean my lunch bag and change clothes. Of course now I am late and get to fight the awesome traffic. Made it to the office 15 minutes late... Hoping the day improves and that 7 miler get done because I really do not want a 0 on the first planned run of the month.

Did drop 0.4 lbs from yesterdays weigh in, which was nice to see after having a late meal and a cold beer before bed. lol

Yesterday I mentioned how sometimes life happens. Well, I was not expecting it to happen so soon. After my treadmill run yesterday afternoon I get in my truck and start it. As I am moving some stuff around the lights flicker and the radio turns on/off. I was like....ummm whats going on here? I sit there a while and nothing else happens, so I take off. First bump I hit it does it again. Once that happened I had a clue of what was going on. I pulled over and opened the hood to confirm that the battery cables are full of corrosion. Made the trip home just fine, but knew it was a issue that I needed to fix ASAP. I get a few tools out and start getting the corrosion of the terminal and realize its more than just a simple cleaning job. The terminal is so thin that as I try to take it off the battery it snaps. HOUSTON we have a problem! Lucky for me the auto store is less than a mile from my home and is open till 10 PM. I would also like to include I own very few "tools" and not exactly a mechanical type of person. Went to the auto store told them my problem and they suggested the parts I needed. Well of course its the wrong part as I become more familiar with with I am doing. Return to the store around 9:30 PM get the correct part, or so I was hoping. Since it closed in 30 minutes it was either now or never type of deal. Lucky for me, the part was the correct one and had everything on by 10 PM. Of course I had to clean up the mess I made, shower, eat, ect. Didn't fall asleep to nearly midnight and with a 4:30 AM wake up and 7 miles to do, I decided 4 hours was just not going to be enough to get a run in worth while and mess up the rest of the week. So, I decided to run the 7 much later tonight when DW gets home from bible study.
So this morning thinking things are going well i pack up all my stuff and walk out the door. As I'm locking the door I feel something cold and wet... the milk is leaking! Get to go back inside, clean my lunch bag and change clothes. Of course now I am late and get to fight the awesome traffic. Made it to the office 15 minutes late... Hoping the day improves and that 7 miler get done because I really do not want a 0 on the first planned run of the month.

Did drop 0.4 lbs from yesterdays weigh in, which was nice to see after having a late meal and a cold beer before bed. lol

Welcome to life hahaha...just keep rolling with the punches Jerry, and don't forget to laugh along the way. Also if you are looking for a good weight-loss program you should try mine out...I lost over 6lbs in just one day! All it took was the flu :sick:

Welcome to life hahaha...just keep rolling with the punches Jerry, and don't forget to laugh along the way. Also if you are looking for a good weight-loss program you should try mine out...I lost over 6lbs in just one day! All it took was the flu :sick:
I would like to avoid your diet method as it does not follow the "maintainable lifestyle change" requirement. lol Joking aside, the weight, just like my running times will come back over time. Then the challenge will be to get those times in places they have never been.
Also wanted to mention to you thanks for the info you provided about the marathon in Canada. Ultimately it turned out to be a no go, but I do appreciate the information. Still on my list to do one day, just now isn't the best of times.

I would like to avoid your diet method as it does not follow the "maintainable lifestyle change" requirement. lol Joking aside, the weight, just like my running times will come back over time. Then the challenge will be to get those times in places they have never been.
Also wanted to mention to you thanks for the info you provided about the marathon in Canada. Ultimately it turned out to be a no go, but I do appreciate the information. Still on my list to do one day, just now isn't the best of times.
No problem...I'll likely have more info to pass along after this year's race as my wife and Mum are planning to run it. Also see that @croach is doing that race as well, the half I believe.

Same here...I have a coach that lays out the plan for me so I just really look at what the week ahead holds so I can try to figure out how I'm going to fit it all in. I haven't really had a plan stretching out months in advance since I did Hansons a few years ago.

I can vouch for Jerry's running plans - I helped look over some Disney plans for his most recent trip and he even had his runs AT WDW accounted for. Hardcore, but completely understandable. For running, I think it's great to see everything laid out before you ... so you know what you have to work towards and it makes it a little easier to plan around. I actually greatly prefer the running plan - I can see that six weeks from now, I have to run 18 miles so I can plan appropriately and not go out the night before or do anything the day of.

For this triathlon BS I'm doing ... yeah, I don't need to see ANYTHING more than a week ahead of time. It would be just too overwhelming and I would bail. No lie.

I can vouch for Jerry's running plans - I helped look over some Disney plans for his most recent trip and he even had his runs AT WDW accounted for. Hardcore, but completely understandable. For running, I think it's great to see everything laid out before you ... so you know what you have to work towards and it makes it a little easier to plan around. I actually greatly prefer the running plan - I can see that six weeks from now, I have to run 18 miles so I can plan appropriately and not go out the night before or do anything the day of.

For this triathlon BS I'm doing ... yeah, I don't need to see ANYTHING more than a week ahead of time. It would be just too overwhelming and I would bail. No lie.

Sometime the best laid out plans dont work out. I only did one run during that WDW trip... Hangs head in shame. It was a awesome trip and unfortunately it may be a while before we make the trip again. But next time it will be a family of 4!

Sometime the best laid out plans dont work out. I only did one run during that WDW trip... Hangs head in shame. It was a awesome trip and unfortunately it may be a while before we make the trip again. But next time it will be a family of 4!
I never like to have anything in the "official" plan when I'm away on vacation...I do like to try and get a run or two in, but I won't feel bad if I don't. Something tells me you really don't regret missing runs while at WDW...I know I wouldn't!

Something tells me you really don't regret missing runs while at WDW

I cant say I really beat myself up over it. I would have felt better about eating a entire Gastons' cinnamon rolls every morning we went to Magic Kingdom though. Those things are just amazing! I should mention on our last night at MK, I bought 3 of them in to go boxs to bring home... and I wonder why I gained weight. lol Even better was the reaction on the cast members face when I asked for 3. She was like you know they are kinda big. I replied, They are delicious and I want to pretend I am still at WDW when I get back home with these in the morning before heading back to work.

Late night 7 miler on the TM last night. Finished just under a hour and got to watch Goodfellas for a hour. Skipped dinner because it was so late by the time I got home so that is reflected with this morning weigh-in of 222.1, down 1.5 lbs from yesterday. Skipping a meal and being a little dehydrated after a hour run will do that I guess.

I cant say I really beat myself up over it. I would have felt better about eating a entire Gastons' cinnamon rolls every morning we went to Magic Kingdom though. Those things are just amazing! I should mention on our last night at MK, I bought 3 of them in to go boxs to bring home... and I wonder why I gained weight. lol Even better was the reaction on the cast members face when I asked for 3. She was like you know they are kinda big. I replied, They are delicious and I want to pretend I am still at WDW when I get back home with these in the morning before heading back to work.

Late night 7 miler on the TM last night. Finished just under a hour and got to watch Goodfellas for a hour. Skipped dinner because it was so late by the time I got home so that is reflected with this morning weigh-in of 222.1, down 1.5 lbs from yesterday. Skipping a meal and being a little dehydrated after a hour run will do that I guess.

Late night treadmill is my lifestyle during the winter months. I've got 6 tonight and I'm not looking forward to it. Because of the treadmill part. But if you could do it last night, I can do it tonight.
Maybe I will watch something on my phone this time instead of just listening to music. Maybe that will help.

Running Weekend Report:

Since DW was working on the weekend and I had Friday off, I decided to run my "long run" Friday and then DD and I went for a few recovery miles Saturday.

Friday I set out for 11 miles and after having a good nights rest and the weather at a nice 50 ish degrees with cloud cover I decided to slow down a little after the first mile or two and see If i could go a little bit more. Ended the day with 13.1 miles at a 8:59 pace. Felt good at the end and could have done 1-3 more miles but since I haven't run more than 10 since December 5 I did not want to push my luck.

Saturday I got a lot start since it was just DD and I. She enjoys going for a ride in her stroller around the lakes at LSU. Normally we would also run into campus to go see Mike the Tiger, but he passed away a few months ago and they do not have a new Tiger yet. I don't have it in me to tell DD the ole tiger died, so we just avoid the area and topic for now. Set out for 5 miles, but the loop is a little bit longer and finished up with 5.15 miles at a 8:46 pace. Not to bad with the amount of stops we took to "feed the ducks" and look at flowers. My legs were feeling the 13 from the day before as well.

Overall it was nice to get a good week of training in. The negatives... My weekend diet is shameful, Monday till Saturday at noon are all good, then the cookie monster in me comes out after that. That is something big I need to work on!

Did someone say cookies???

Nice weekend of running though. My weekend diet was the stuff of diet nightmares - in other words, oh so delicious!!

I'm on the cookie train too...there's no such thing as just one cookie.

Been seeing some really solid runs posted on Strava Jerry, keep up the good work!

So I missed a run on Monday, but did get in 8 miles on the TM yesterday afternoon just below a 9 minute/mile pace. My weight was way up on Monday (~227 ish) and I'm back down to 222.4 this morning. On the books I have 4 planned, but if things work out as planned today I may try to catch up a little. I am still struggling with the early morning wake ups. I simply don't wake up to my alarm clock at 4:45 AM. I'm about to have to get very creative with that. I also had a unhealthy Saturday night and a little on Sunday with beer. It was better than previous weekends, but still have some work cut out. I decided to not restock the beer fridge so hopefully that will help with that this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter