• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

George Floyd case - Officer arrested for Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have explained noting cultural differences is not racism. Maybe you all are right and continuing this same discussion for decades more will solve the problems. I am willing to wager it won’t but I could be wrong so good luck to all of you. Remember an election coming up so good to cast your vote for those that will right all the wrongs. No idea why they didn’t do it last time but as you have pointed out I am just a know nothing racist.

On what basis do you reach this conclusion about "alleged" cultural differences (specifically that blacks are more likely to respond agressively). I find this assertion utterly fascinating. Because this is something I've never seen, heard or read before. Are there actual studies that support this (and not interested in those from white supremacists or their apologists)?

Once again the goal post has been moved. It started out peacefully. This is no longer about George Floyd. It's been hijacked by extremists. They are doing nothing to honor him. IMO

No, the goal hasn't been moved. Others have come in to exploit the situation. And it breaks my heart that the message of the protesters has been drowned out by the these people. But that is exactly what so many of has been having trying to say for the last day or so. They are two different groups and should not be lumped together. There are people - white supremacist groups, The Proud Boys and yes, people who just want to destroy - who are doing the destruction. The majority are NOT the protesters. The goal of the protesters never changed.

No, the goal hasn't been moved. Others have come in to exploit the situation. And it breaks my heart that the message of the protesters has been drowned out by the these people. But that is exactly what so many of has been having trying to say for the last day or so. They are two different groups and should not be lumped together. There are people - white supremacist groups, The Proud Boys and yes, people who just want to destroy - who are doing the destruction. The majority are NOT the protesters. The goal of the protesters never changed.
Be fair and name the other groups...it's not just the ones you named.

If you want to know what someone from Africa really thinks about this incident, then you might take a look at this video. It is from Omekongo Dibinga -he grew up in Roxbury, MA, went to Harvard, and is now teaching at American University. He is a poet. You will agree with some of what he says and some will be surprising. After that, I add a video of him with his most famous piece of poetry, Reality Show, which 'secretly' contains the names of 72 TV reality shows. Just try to count them all! It is an amazing invention.

The goal of the protesters never changed.
At least here some of the protesters themselves have thrown rocks and water bottles at the police and screaming in their faces including slurs (outside of other violence that occurred), as they were marching some broke windows of businesses (though that night they didn't go in, that was not the same as last night unfortunately) so I wouldn't lump all the protesters together in terms of their goal. I have seen the responses the protesters who have quite admiral goals. Those are the people who are there today cleaning up the mess from last night, those are the people calling for no violence at all, those are the people who were calling for a prayer vigil last night all night in hopes of a more positive message being sent, with one saying "Our officers are children of some mothers. I’m a mother and I don’t want for these officers and their moms to feel the pain that they feel watching how people are being abusive {verbal and physical} to them.”

In truth we are all very complex people but just because you say you were protesting does not mean you share the goal of other protesters.

Meanwhile...
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protests-05-30-20/h_dd6ca223cfd976874b8611571f5fd0b6
"St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter said everyone who was arrested in his city last night was from outside the state. "
Mayor Carter has had to rescind that statement as it was patently false. In publicly available data from Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, with Minneapolis being the seat of Hennepin County, 86% of those arrested Thursday and Friday have permanent addresses in the seven county metro area. There certainly have been people from outside the area that have come in to agitate and for the sole purpose of rioting with little danger of repercussions. What the mindset of those people are, I don't know. I do think that it's irresponsible of political leaders to assign blame to certain groups without any evidence, and to flat out lie about where those people you've arrested come from.
You thought another silent protest or peaceful march was going to happen? No. That time came and went. You didn't respect what the oppressed were doing. They are hurting. They are tired of being murder will jogging or sleeping in there homes. They are sick of being treated unfairly while white people get the privilege of being treated different for equal or more egregious crimes. And the "justice system" never works in their (the oppressed) favor. I'm not even sure these "cops" will see any jail time. Again, history has shown you can't trust the justice system. So, am I happy there has been an arrest? Yes. But we've seen this movie before.
A peaceful protest did happen. And has continued to happen every day during the day at the spot where George Floyd was killed. There has been no damage to any building on that block, no fires in a one mile radius of that intersection.

Two stories that I think are good things happening in Minneapolis this week. My mom works for the school district with the highest risk four and five year olds to get them ready for kindergarten. The riots Wednesday knocked out power at one of the high schools that had been giving out food to those in need since schools have been closed due to COVID. There were some students at her school that didn't get anything to eat Wednesday because of this closure. Staff from her school drove around Friday, picked up students and neighborhood kids in need, then got them to another area high school where they could get food.

The available National Guard troops spent Thursday night defending a Public Housing complex three blocks west of the 5th precinct where due to age, disability and/or mental illness, there would have been hundreds of deaths if it had been set on fire.

Be fair and name the other groups...it's not just the ones you named.

Three Pertcenters
Bagaloo Bois

I clearly said there were people there who just wanted to destroy. But at least acknowledge that there have been groups who have come in for the sole purpose of violence and destruction. And most of what I'm seeing is white people throwing bricks. White people looting. I'm not saying they are the only ones. But stop pretending they're not at all.

At least here some of the protesters themselves have thrown rocks and water bottles at the police and screaming in their faces including slurs (outside of other violence that occurred), as they were marching some broke windows of businesses (though that night they didn't go in, that was not the same as last night unfortunately) so I wouldn't lump all the protesters together in terms of their goal. I have seen the responses the protesters who have quite admiral goals. Those are the people who are there today cleaning up the mess from last night, those are the people calling for no violence at all, those are the people who were calling for a prayer vigil last night all night in hopes of a more positive message being sent, with one saying "Our officers are children of some mothers. I’m a mother and I don’t want for these officers and their moms to feel the pain that they feel watching how people are being abusive {verbal and physical} to them.”

In truth we are all very complex people but just because you say you were protesting does not mean you share the goal of other protesters.
If you had bothered to quote my entire statement, you'd see I said the majority of the protesters. Not all of them. On that note, I've also watched the news and seen an uptick in the use of force with police. Do I necessarily blame them for protecting themselves, no. But things have changed on both sides. And in many places it's hard to say what came first (between police and protesters).

Minneapolis is not a big department (+/-800 officers), but it going to be a difficult task to turn it around. My department went through this in the early 1980's, and it's hard. Most departments that start down this path fail; we succeeded, but it was a long, painful grind.

It's going to require determined, strong leadership both internally and outside the department -- and they are going to have to fight hard for several years to effect real change. People will have to be fired. People will have to be harshly disciplined. Supervisors and managers will have to hold officers and each other accountable.

I don't see anybody in Minneapolis who has demonstrated the courage or discipline to do that. The governor probably doesn't have the legal authority to reach into the city government to change things. It's up to the people of Minneapolis.
Sorry for my absence from the thread yesterday. I was called to deal with "peaceful" protesters that were kicking in windshields of police cars, throwing rocks, and tackling cops. Every media outlet in the area described it as "peaceful" with "beautiful" chants.

It's hard to turn around a department due to the fact these conditions manifest over years and years. One key problem is the relaxing of hire standards to get different demographics hired. It's all about percentages on a spreadsheet when it comes to hiring. My department through the late 90s and 2000s resisted this. Eventually political pressure leads to promoting people who don't need to be in command. This is the start of the downward slope that you mentioned above with supervisor and managers holding officers accountable. The relaxing of the hiring standards or making exceptions for one or a few demographics hurt agencies more than you think. But it's the leadership that has been put into place due to these political requirements that actually hurts police agencies more.

If you had bothered to quote my entire statement, you'd see I said the majority of the protesters. Not all of them. On that note, I've also watched the news and seen an uptick in the use of force with police. Do I necessarily blame them for protecting themselves, no. But things have changed on both sides. And in many places it's hard to say what came first (between police and protesters).
There is no reason why I cannot quote part of your comment :confused3 And there is no reason to take a comment and be snarky about it when no snark occurred in mine..I bothered to quote only part of your comment that I was commenting about.

You qualified your last statement by saying "The goal of the protesters never changed." Not everyone who protested, regardless of violence occurring or not, was there for the same goal. So yes I commented on your broad statement of using "the" when before you qualified it as "majority" . If you had said "the goal of the majority of the protesters never changed" I wouldn't have commented.

There is supposed to be a protest this afternoon in my city today and I’m so scared for the safety of my husband. He is a firefighter and stationed downtown where the protest will be. I hope it stays peaceful.

I was a cop for 10 years. I'm not going to speak on race. But, until you've walked in those boots, you will never understand the range of emotions. I was fearful at times, I was grateful when a little kid came up with hs mother and said "thank you for your service," I was horrified at the attrocities I saw, I cried when I had to put an animal down. I suffer from PTSD from the job.

Until you have done it, don't judge harshly. I am not saying right or wrong. Most likely wrong... but don't jump.

And, yes. I think "wrong." I'm a white middle-aged male retired police officer.
Until you have had the experience of being a black man or woman fearing that a bad cop may kill you, your black son, father, husband....you (general you) shouldn't judge us harshly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter