Genie+ Strategy for large group and one park

dischris11

Mouseketeer
When we went in 2021, we used the stacking strategy in Genie + where we got a LL right around 11:00 (two hours after park opening), did rope drop and short lines, then got another LL just before scanning into the first LL due to the 120 minute rule and then played with two LL’s off and on for the rest of the day. I’m wondering if this is still a good strategy or if I should just book LL’s as soon as I can and just go from one to the other without stacking. I’m especially interested because we will be a group of 10 this time (we were 5 before). We are not park hopping. I’m mainly concerned with how to do this in MK. Thoughts?

If any of you are at a WDW resort you can book 1st LL at 7 am, rope drop, go to park, do some early rides then add LL at 9 am, etc

I would grab a LL for either JC or PP at around 7:30am. The return time should be at some point in the afternoon by then. You can then get another LL 2 hours after park opening and start using them or stacking for the afternoon at that point.

When we went in 2021, we used the stacking strategy in Genie + where we got a LL right around 11:00 (two hours after park opening), did rope drop and short lines, then got another LL just before scanning into the first LL due to the 120 minute rule and then played with two LL’s off and on for the rest of the day. I’m wondering if this is still a good strategy or if I should just book LL’s as soon as I can and just go from one to the other without stacking. I’m especially interested because we will be a group of 10 this time (we were 5 before). We are not park hopping. I’m mainly concerned with how to do this in MK. Thoughts?
I believe what you described is a double stack, where you would have two G+ LLs reserved and could then add another any time you tapped into either one of them. That was a strategy in the early days of Genie+, but was something Disney never intended. Disney IT closed that loophole; I believe it was in November 2021. Now, tapping in allows you to book another G+ LL only if you are tapping in to your most-recently-booked LL reservation. You can still stack reservations, i.e. have more than one at a time, but you don't get to make a new one when you tap into the earlier-booked ones. The four main times you can book another G+ LL are when:

1. You tap into your most recent G+ LL reservation
2. You cancel your most-recent G+ LL reservation
3. Your most-recent G+ LL reservation expires
4. Two park hours (i.e. hours the park is open) pass since making your most-recent G+ LL reservation

There are some exceptions too, such as when a ride that you have a LL for breaks down and you get a multi-experience pass.

If any of you are at a WDW resort you can book 1st LL at 7 am, rope drop, go to park, do some early rides then add LL at 9 am, etc
If following the 2-hour rule, you can book your second G+ LL two hours after the park opens, not two hours after booking the first one at 7:00. If MK opens at 9:00, you can book your second LL at 11:00. The time between 7:00 and park open doesn't count. It's two hours that the park is open. You can of course book your second one earlier by tapping in before then (or canceling or having it expire).

It doesn't matter if you are at a WDW resort. Everyone can book their first G+ LL at 7:00. Those staying at WDW resorts have the perk of being able to book ILLs before those staying offsite, but Genie+ is different.

And to add, your party size has no bearing on how G+ works and ride availability. What may throw a complicated wrench in your plans is your G+ party selections. If you, or someone in your group, is the MDE G+ scheduler and some people want to split up, that may be a hassle to remember who's on which G+ return time and when are they next eligible to select their next G+ LL. I would not want to be booking G+ for 10 people unless everyone was doing everything exactly the same.

The strategy we use in MK is stack for later in the day and we book our first G+ starting mid to late AM. We like to arrive mid to late AM and have a few rides ready to roll since we'll have a G+ or two or an iLL$ booked. And then we book subsequent G+, 2 hours post park opening. Depending on crowds and your goal G+ you want to book, you can get pretty good utilization out of G+ at MK. With lowerish crowds, we usually manage about 6-7 G+ selections. I will add we don't usually book JC which is one of the more popular G+ so that saves us a hard to get one.

When we've rope dropped MK with G+, your best strategy is to prioritize your G+ attractions and get the earliest return times possible, esp for the first selection so as soon as you tap in, you can then pick your next G+ LL and keep that up throughout the day. And stick with knocking out the headliners are RD as you've done before.

I believe what you described is a double stack, where you would have two G+ LLs reserved and could then add another any time you tapped into either one of them. That was a strategy in the early days of Genie+, but was something Disney never intended. Disney IT closed that loophole; I believe it was in November 2021. Now, tapping in allows you to book another G+ LL only if you are tapping in to your most-recently-booked LL reservation. You can still stack reservations, i.e. have more than one at a time, but you don't get to make a new one when you tap into the earlier-booked ones. The four main times you can book another G+ LL are when:

1. You tap into your most recent G+ LL reservation
2. You cancel your most-recent G+ LL reservation
3. Your most-recent G+ LL reservation expires
4. Two park hours (i.e. hours the park is open) pass since making your most-recent G+ LL reservation

There are some exceptions too, such as when a ride that you have a LL for breaks down and you get a multi-experience pass.
Thank you! I was wondering why I haven’t seen people use this strategy. I didn’t realize they shut it down. Now I understand why people get a later LL instead. Does that mean you can stack for the afternoon but cannot book another LL after that, only after the one that is most recent?

And to add, your party size has no bearing on how G+ works and ride availability. What may throw a complicated wrench in your plans is your G+ party selections. If you, or someone in your group, is the MDE G+ scheduler and some people want to split up, that may be a hassle to remember who's on which G+ return time and when are they next eligible to select their next G+ LL. I would not want to be booking G+ for 10 people unless everyone was doing everything exactly the same.

The strategy we use in MK is stack for later in the day and we book our first G+ starting mid to late AM. We like to arrive mid to late AM and have a few rides ready to roll since we'll have a G+ or two or an iLL$ booked. And then we book subsequent G+, 2 hours post park opening. Depending on crowds and your goal G+ you want to book, you can get pretty good utilization out of G+ at MK. With lowerish crowds, we usually manage about 6-7 G+ selections. I will add we don't usually book JC which is one of the more popular G+ so that saves us a hard to get one.

When we've rope dropped MK with G+, your best strategy is to prioritize your G+ attractions and get the earliest return times possible, esp for the first selection so as soon as you tap in, you can then pick your next G+ LL and keep that up throughout the day. And stick with knocking out the headliners are RD as you've done before.
Thanks! I’ve actually heard the party size does change the way Genie+ works. One of the bloggers tested it and learned that anything above four people doesn’t get the same return times, even though Disney has said it wouldn’t make a difference. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you! I was wondering why I haven’t seen people use this strategy. I didn’t realize they shut it down. Now I understand why people get a later LL instead. Does that mean you can stack for the afternoon but cannot book another LL after that, only after the one that is most recent?
When you can book another G+ LL is always dependent on your most-recently-booked LL. Once a LL is not your most-recently-booked one, tapping into it, or canceling it, or having it expire, doesn't make any difference. For example, before park open you book Jungle Cruise for a 1:30 return time, then at 11:00 you book Space Mountain for a 2:00 return time, then at 1:00, you book Dumbo for a 1:45 return time. Tapping in to Jungle Cruise at 1:30 does not let you book another G+ LL right away, because it is not your most-recently-booked LL. But tapping into Dumbo at 1:45 does let you book another because it is your most-recently-booked LL. The fact that you still have a LL for Space Mountain makes no difference. (Those return times are for example purposes and probably not realistic.)

Thanks! I’ve actually heard the party size does change the way Genie+ works. One of the bloggers tested it and learned that anything above four people doesn’t get the same return times, even though Disney has said it wouldn’t make a difference. 🤷‍♀️
I watched the EarScouts vlog where he tested this with a group of 8 or 9. He had one phone booking for the full group and a second phone testing what showed up for a group of 4. He said more or earlier times showed up for four or fewer. That said, it’s good information, but one data point. The family got everything done they wanted anyway. For me, I would balance the added complexity of having two people booking and trying to get overlapping times. You could potentially end up with the same result if return times were more spread out because you needed to wait to book next Genie+ until group with later time had tapped in. We’re traveling with 6 in October; we may test this if we see poor return times.

I watched the EarScouts vlog where he tested this with a group of 8 or 9. He had one phone booking for the full group and a second phone testing what showed up for a group of 4. He said more or earlier times showed up for four or fewer. That said, it’s good information, but one data point. The family got everything done they wanted anyway. For me, I would balance the added complexity of having two people booking and trying to get overlapping times. You could potentially end up with the same result if return times were more spread out because you needed to wait to book next Genie+ until group with later time had tapped in. We’re traveling with 6 in October; we may test this if we see poor return times.
Yeah, I’m just going to book us all on one and hope for the best!

My group has 15 people. What’s the best way to use Genie plus for such a large group?​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter