• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie+ questions

Can you still get a paper ticket and use a lanyard and scan that for genie +? We only have one smart phone and won't always be together...
Paper tickets are very hit and miss, it is all dependent on the cast member at the gate. There have been reports of no issues to people being told they no longer issue them.

Perhaps you can look for a discounted Magic band+ online to aid your son in tapping in. My boys love the interactive features of the band and it saves me considerable battery time.

Thanks for all these tips - we are WDW vets and are trying to learn the basics. We do not have Magic Band +. We're trying to figure out how we scan in for Genie +. In WDW, I was able to add my ticket to Apple Wallet. I bought our ticket from undercover tourist and I have all 5 in the DL app under my husband's account....but I don't see a way to transfer them to individual people? My youngest doesn't have a phone....what is the "tapping in" like if we don't have magic bands?
It is possible to have the same tickets showing in multiple Disneyland app accounts. I suggest you have everyone who has a smartphone create an app account and have them add at least their own ticket and your youngest's ticket to their account. If you prefer, have them add all the tickets to each account. As long as your youngest will be with someone who has a phone, they can handle his/her tap-in for Genie+.

This webpage describes how to add UT tickets to a Disneyland app account: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disneyland-app/

FWIW, I'm one of the people who was told, back in January, that I could not get a paper ticket and had to use my phone or a magicband+ to tap into a Genie+ reservation. I was able to use a printout of my UT e-ticket to enter the park. I did not try to use that to tap into a Genie+ reservation. I used my phone. I paid attention when others were tapping in to Genie+. I never saw anyone use a paper ticket to do so.

It may be that you won't all need separate Disneyland app accounts if you can all tap into your husband's account. However, you should all have the Disneyland app loaded onto your separate phones.

(Edited to add last four sentences.)

Last edited:
It is possible to have the same tickets showing in multiple Disneyland app accounts. I suggest you have everyone who has a smartphone create an app account and have them add at least their own ticket and your youngest's ticket to their account. If you prefer, have them add all the tickets to each account. As long as your youngest will be with someone who has a phone, they can handle his/her tap-in for Genie+.

This webpage describes how to add UT tickets to a Disneyland app account: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disneyland-app/

FWIW, I'm one of the people who was told, back in January, that I could not get a paper ticket and had to use my phone or a magicband+ to tap into a Genie+ reservation. I was able to use a printout of my UT e-ticket to enter the park. I did not try to use that to tap into a Genie+ reservation. I used my phone. I paid attention when others were tapping in to Genie+. I never saw anyone use a paper ticket to do so.

It may be that you won't all need separate Disneyland app accounts if you can all tap into your husband's account. However, you should all have the Disneyland app loaded onto your separate phones.

(Edited to add last four sentences.)
I really appreciate this forum...all of these tips are incredibly helpful. I was planning to have my older teens have their own ticket on their phones but had not thought about everyone having the youngest's ticket. Great idea!

This is new strategy to me, so I want to make sure I understand this. Hypothetical example, let me know if this is accurate:

I get in the turnstile at 7:25. I instantly book Space Mountain. Return time is 8-9 AM. At 8:30 AM, I modify the space mountain LL for later return time, but still for Space Mountain.

At 9:30, I can book another pass for a different ride, but my Space Mountain pass is still available to me for the later time I modified for.

At 11:30, I can book a pass for a third ride, but my other 2 passes are still available, provided I've modified them for later arrivals.

Question: At this point, If I use my space mountain pass, can I book a new one? Does that "reset my clock"? Or am I stuck waiting for 2-hour intervals until I burn through my whole stack of passes? With how I've done it before once you start stacking passes you're stuck waiting 2 hours until you've used every pass you have. If you can stack passes, and then have 3 or 4 "LL slots" as you go through the afternoon, this would be a MASSIVE game changer. Otherwise it lets you just move LLs into the afternoon, but wouldn't really net more rides.

This is new strategy to me, so I want to make sure I understand this. Hypothetical example, let me know if this is accurate:

I get in the turnstile at 7:25. I instantly book Space Mountain. Return time is 8-9 AM. At 8:30 AM, I modify the space mountain LL for later return time, but still for Space Mountain.

At 9:30, I can book another pass for a different ride, but my Space Mountain pass is still available to me for the later time I modified for.

At 11:30, I can book a pass for a third ride, but my other 2 passes are still available, provided I've modified them for later arrivals.

Question: At this point, If I use my space mountain pass, can I book a new one? Does that "reset my clock"? Or am I stuck waiting for 2-hour intervals until I burn through my whole stack of passes? With how I've done it before once you start stacking passes you're stuck waiting 2 hours until you've used every pass you have. If you can stack passes, and then have 3 or 4 "LL slots" as you go through the afternoon, this would be a MASSIVE game changer. Otherwise it lets you just move LLs into the afternoon, but wouldn't really net more rides.
The trick would be to make your most recently booked pass the one you can use first- so modify space mountain out until later and later, but once you get to say 11:30, book that pass for something you will use before the other passes, then you can book a new ride once you go on that one... so more intermixing the earlier booked rides with newly booked rides will shorten the window instead of having to wait the 2hours every time.

The 2 hour limit is based on whatever you booked most recently and it's 2 hours or you go on the ride.

(at least that is my understanding of it and experience at WDW)

So for the first 2 (or even 3) things I book, snag the rides that will have return times a long way out - Space Mountain, Toy Story, Guardians. And then after that, for my third or 4th booking, start going through the rides I can get in within 30-40 minutes of booking. Use that booking, then book a new one, and modifying and pushing back my other reservations until the time when I want to get on them.

THAT'S the piece of this system I've been missing my last few days there. When did modify become a thing with G+? If it's been a thing for a few months boy I've been inefficient lol

Also I'd like to know, if accelerating LL using MEP, what do you present for scanning, presumably the LL even though your window hasn't opened? I haven't had to use my phone for all this before. Or, if I have a paper pass, can I just scan that and it'll select the LL?

So in your example you can book another pass at 1:30 or when you use the LL for the ride you had booked at 11:30. And yes, you can stack passes for the afternoon but still have ”slots” that you can then instantly redeem and book another. It truly is a game changer.

The flip side is also true - say at 11:30 you book an afternoon LL for Big Thunder. You then check to see if you can modify it, and a return time of 11:45-12:45 opens up. You proceed to Big Thunder, and as soon as you tap in you can book your next ride.

Accelerating is a glitch where if you hold a LL for a ride and a MEP, the MEP accelerates your return time of your LL. So for example you have a 3:00 Big Thunder LL and a MEP… You go to Big Thunder at 1:00 instead and the app removes the LL, but keeps the MEP. I have had this happen by chance, as I wanted to ride that ride twice so thought I was using up the MEP and not the LL. I have never intentionally tried to do this but there are others on the board that have. No idea how long this glitch will remain.

Last edited:
Also I'd like to know, if accelerating LL using MEP, what do you present for scanning, presumably the LL even though your window hasn't opened? I haven't had to use my phone for all this before. Or, if I have a paper pass, can I just scan that and it'll select the LL?
I have used my Mband so can‘t answer this. If you have a paper pass I would use that as from my understanding it is tied to the ticket. Hope someone else who doesn’t use a Mband can answer for you.

THAT'S the piece of this system I've been missing my last few days there. When did modify become a thing with G+? If it's been a thing for a few months boy I've been inefficient lol
Dare I say this: it changed in December….

oof. Well, we still did everything we wanted both parks + rerides on our day in Feb, and parks closed at 9 lol.

So let me just understand accelerating - if you scan the barcode of your TICKET, the LL gets removed but you keep the MEP? Or if you scan the barcode of the actual LL pass for the wrong timeslot? Want to try this...

Honestly sometimes the trips where you aren‘t trying to modify and maximize are often the best. I still treat G+ as a 3-ride guarantee and everything else is gravy. Keeps the FOMO at bay!

I haven’t ever scanned a ticket or specific LL as we used our Mbands so can’t precisely answer. There may be a sticky or if you search MEP or accelerating there is a post by a “super-user” that walks you through it.

I have scanned the MEP on my phone when using a non-LL ride (like Alice or Nemo) and the MEP actually didn’t disappear! That was a super nice suprise.

oof. Well, we still did everything we wanted both parks + rerides on our day in Feb, and parks closed at 9 lol.

So let me just understand accelerating - if you scan the barcode of your TICKET, the LL gets removed but you keep the MEP? Or if you scan the barcode of the actual LL pass for the wrong timeslot? Want to try this...
I just realized this accidentally happened to us on Webslingers and I didn’t realize what happened until right now. I had 4 mep’s and 5 LL for webslingers. Our 5 LL’s weren’t until later in the day. I scanned our 4 mep’s at webslingers, no problem. Later in the day we went back for our LL and there was only one available. I was in a panic but noticed the 4 mep’s were still there so quickly scanned those again and they went through. I was confused and figured I screwed something up at some point but now reading sounds like they pulled from my later time LL’s and not my mep’s even though they are what I scanned. Interesting!

I really appreciate this forum...all of these tips are incredibly helpful. I was planning to have my older teens have their own ticket on their phones but had not thought about everyone having the youngest's ticket. Great idea!
Another option: you can have everyone sign into the Disney app as "you" on the app on their phone. That way you don't have to create a new Disney account for each person. Then all the tickets are in the app on everyone's phone. The only trick here is that then any one person can add, change, etc the LLs booked for the others in the party. So you want to make sure your kids understand not to change anything, but just to use it to scan in. IIRC, you can also take a screen shot of the ticket's bar code and then text those to your kids. They can use that to scan in to the LLs. But they will only be able to see the LL reservation times if you have them logged into the actual app (either through your account or their own).

I just realized this accidentally happened to us on Webslingers and I didn’t realize what happened until right now. I had 4 mep’s and 5 LL for webslingers. Our 5 LL’s weren’t until later in the day. I scanned our 4 mep’s at webslingers, no problem. Later in the day we went back for our LL and there was only one available. I was in a panic but noticed the 4 mep’s were still there so quickly scanned those again and they went through. I was confused and figured I screwed something up at some point but now reading sounds like they pulled from my later time LL’s and not my mep’s even though they are what I scanned. Interesting!
The real question is: after you scanned in the first time for WS, did all 5 MEPs stay on your account? It should have if they actually burned your future LLs in lieu of the MEPs. And if so, this is great because it lets you keep the MEP to use on something else! I think this should have been what happened, based on other reports (ie that when you scanned the first time, you were left with 5 MEPs and 1LL (they "used" 4 LLs and left 5 MEPs and 1unused LL))?

The real question is: after you scanned in the first time for WS, did all 5 MEPs stay on your account? It should have if they actually burned your future LLs in lieu of the MEPs. And if so, this is great because it lets you keep the MEP to use on something else! I think this should have been what happened, based on other reports (ie that when you scanned the first time, you were left with 5 MEPs and 1LL (they "used" 4 LLs and left 5 MEPs and 1unused LL))?
The math here is wonky just because she had 4 MEPs and 5LL, so their first ride used 4 of their LL and left 1, plus the 4 MEPs. That is what is meant by accelerating, and why it can be advantageous to “fish” for a golden tier MEP early in the day. It essentially will accelerate any LL you have, making it a true golden ticket until you use it for a ride you don’t have a LL for, then it goes away. (Hopefully all this talk about it doesn’t have someone notice and remove this glitch, if that is what it is...)

Do you need to modify before the LL window opens, or can you still modify after it opens?

Do you need to modify before the LL window opens, or can you still modify after it opens?
You can modify after it opens until you reach the end of your return window. I’ve modified with 5 minutes to spare… don’t necessarily recommend that cause it would be easy to forget!

Any experiences with accelerating with MEPs in Disneyworld? I've used in DL and it worked beautifully, but I can't seem to find anybody talking about it for WDW. I know this is a DL forum, but I'm hoping someone has knowledge of both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter