Genie+ park based priced!

That's exactly what this is - a fairly sizable price increase especially considering how fast the cost of this has risen in the past year already. We're already looking at a 100% increase since this was unveiled. They'll spin this as good for consumers but in reality it lowers the price for a product that not many people bought thus affecting a small group and raising the price yet again for a much much larger group.

The prices are getting insane and outpace inflation by orders of magnitude. Family of 4 for 5 days in the park easily has a $1000 price increase just to use Genie+ and a few rides on top of general ticket price increases already.
I’m interested to see how this plays out for overseas guests who typically travel for 10-14 days. For me this crosses Disney off the list for next year unless they have some kind of UK specific ticket that rolls in G+ like it did when we came over last year.

I’m interested to see how this plays out for overseas guests who typically travel for 10-14 days. For me this crosses Disney off the list for next year unless they have some kind of UK specific ticket that rolls in G+ like it did when we came over last year.
We’re going in December from the UK - I’m whinging about the price hike but probably will still pay it as we found G+ really useful last May. We park hop nearly every day so will be buying the most expensive version…seems like I always find the priciest option!

It's becoming less worth the effort more than cost. I'm not a fan of having to stay on an ap to herd a large party when I could be enjoying the view instead.
Even when it's just DW and I it's royal pain.
I was just at MK on Friday. We bought G+ that day and rode nearly every ride in that place. I averaged about 30 seconds of app time per LL. Each time we tapped into one LL I was able to get the next LL for a nearby attraction with almost immediate return times. We did almost zero crisscrossing of the park either except maybe back and forth between the edge of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland a couple of times.

So far with two trips using Genie+ I spend way less time on my phone than I did with FP+

I was just at MK on Friday. We bought G+ that day and rode nearly every ride in that place. I averaged about 30 seconds of app time per LL. Each time we tapped into one LL I was able to get the next LL for a nearby attraction with almost immediate return times. We did almost zero crisscrossing of the park either except maybe back and forth between the edge of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland a couple of times.

So far with two trips using Genie+ I spend way less time on my phone than I did with FP+

This was our experience this past September, as well. It didn't feel too different from FP+ in terms of "tap and book" from ride to ride.
My only lamentation is that in September we were able to add G+ to our ticket ahead of time. I'm not a fan of waking up and having to add it each day.

I mean hell yeah it works when you need it and actually put some time and effort into it. Difference is I didn't need to wake up 7:00am each day and didn't spend $400 extra dollars on it for a family for four for 4 days, along with the ILL for another $256. Big chunk of change for ease

I did all this for free with FP+

What’s going to happen in Genie when you are managing guests in family sharing and half your guests have PH genie + and the other half as a single park option?
More will be learned today as this new system will go live but I would anticipate those who purchase for only one park will only be given the option to book at that one park. Those who purchase the hopper option will have the ability to book in multiple parts.

That’s the way I would hope it would work but we’ll learn more over the next few days.

I will update pg 1 of this post soon.

On my home page it says 23.00 for G+ but when you click purchase it brings up the Tier prices. All 4 and MK 27, HS 24, Ep18, AK 16.

On my home page it says 23.00 for G+ but when you click purchase it brings up the Tier prices. All 4 and MK 27, HS 24, Ep18, AK 16.

Wasn't even 27 dollars on Memorial Day Weekend but a Random Tuesday, why not? Not into the holiday weekend yet ( I consider that starting Thursday ), get ready for $30 early next week. Easter week was $35 correct correct? Let's see how high it goes.

I mean hell yeah it works when you need it and actually put some time and effort into it. Difference is I didn't need to wake up 7:00am each day and didn't spend $400 extra dollars on it for a family for four for 4 days, along with the ILL for another $256. Big chunk of change for ease

I did all this for free with FP+
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

This was our experience this past September, as well. It didn't feel too different from FP+ in terms of "tap and book" from ride to ride.
My only lamentation is that in September we were able to add G+ to our ticket ahead of time. I'm not a fan of waking up and having to add it each day.
I would strongly prefer to pay ahead of time as well although I didn't mind waking up at 6:50, adding Genie plus and then doing my VQ or booking my first LL at 7 AM. I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Does Disney want to deter people from park hopping?

Only after 2 pm. Now G+ is more if you hop.

We hop almost everyday so this would mean we would pay the top tier each time. Makes me wonder if I should try a non park hopping trip one day. It would save me a good amount of money.

I actually liked G+ when we went in November. It worked better than FP+ for us. I wasn’t crazy about paying for it but what can ya do. For the price it worked well for us (I had them added to our tickets before that stopped so $15 a day).

This has also been our experience as well, and we have used it at peak crowds (Presidents’ Day, New Years). I would mess around for less than 5 minutes to get better return times sometimes. And I wasn’t planning times to ride 60 days in advance and thereby locking myself in to a certain park (because I didn’t want to give up a 7D or SDD FP if I was lucky enough to get one). I actually like it better than FP other than the cost (and we knew how to work FP as well).

I’m older and hopefully wiser, I paid for Genie+, last December when it was included as an add on when I first booked our trip. To me, it was a waste of $15 per day per person (30). It cost is then 300 extra. I can not imagine a family planning a trip and not only paying the money (more now), picking a park, get up early to stage rides and running around all vacation. My next trip is more of a resort trip however if I do go into parks, I will walk around, if something is available so be it if not, keep walking. Unfortunately I remember the days not to long ago, where you could just hit a park, go on rides, go on the monorail hit another park, go to the pool, come back at night go somewhere else with it all this planning. Now you’re planning parks, rides, food, genie, it’s nuts. Sorry for all the families out there.

Last edited:
I wonder if this move is related to them eliminating park reservations next year. They will have 6 months of data to tell them expected park capacity based on how many people bought Genie+. Since Genie+ is bought the day of they won't have for data for future forecasting but maybe day-of is sufficient.
I honestly can't get worked up over this change. It seems like for the way we typically visit it shouldn't cost us much more and may even be a little cheaper. My biggest concern is that AK and EP start selling more Genie+ making it harder to use in those parks. Time will tell....
They're not really eliminating park reservations. They will no longer require reservations for date-based tickets, but since you have to select a date to use the ticket when you purchase it, you're kind of already making a reservation anyway.

Does Disney want to deter people from park hopping?

Only after 2 pm. Now G+ is more if you hop.

We hop almost everyday so this would mean we would pay the top tier each time. Makes me wonder if I should try a non park hopping trip one day. It would save me a good amount of money.

I actually liked G+ when we went in November. It worked better than FP+ for us. I wasn’t crazy about paying for it but what can ya do. For the price it worked well for us (I had them added to our tickets before that stopped so $15 a day).
I don’t think it’s a matter of deterring anyone.

If I am not park hopping and only going to MK I am paying as much as someone who could have G+ in two parks (and HS looks like a close second). So it could just as easily be argued that I’m being encouraged to pay more for park hopper tickets so I can get “more” out of that higher G+ price (pay the same $27 for LL at TWO parks as I’m paying anyway for ONE park).

That said I don’t really have a dog in this fight because we don’t hop (just what works for us, no way is wrong or right). For my 2 MK days on my August trip I’d be paying for G+ as if I did though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter