Genie + How good or bad is it?

RLevy29

Vacation Lover
We have been going to WDW for over 40 years. Have seen many changes and we always rolled with them. However, this new ride system seems to me to be a bit much. I would like to hear different opinions on people’s experience with this new system especially from people who are long time DW visitors like us. TIA

Just like Fastpass+, Genie+ works great if you really know how to take advantage of it. It has a steeper learning curve than Fastpass+ though. I would recommend watching videos on Youtube of how it works. The Allears videos with Molly and her new channel Mammoth Club have great videos that explain it better than Disney does.

We just got back and we were FP/FP+ commandos. We had no problems using Genie+ & ILL to our advantage to ride everything we wanted. Pair it up with rope drop, and other extended hour opportunities and we were able to hit up most rides for at least 2 rides for each day we were in the parks. I think we ended up on HM 7 times across several MK days.

I personally liked the idea of G+ fro some rides that I normally would not have wanted to "waste" a FP+ reservation for.

The only decision is how it compares to not having it. How it compares to FP/FP+ aren't as helpful as how it simply compares to not having it. That being said, I think it's "worth it" at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios but not Epcot or Animal Kingdom. In Ep and HS I would use ILLs in the place of G+ and use standby for those attractions on G+.

Genie+ is the old paper fastpass system moved into an app. You can make your first reservation at 7 am, then once you use that one you can book the next one. Repeat until all the reservation times are gone for the day. So your strategy reverts to the old fastpass system when it comes to which ride you choose first.

Similar to the old system, if your next reservation is more than 2 hours away, you can book another pass before you use the one you already have. If you try to make a second reservation too early, the app will tell you what time you can make the next one at, which is very convenient.

Unlike the old Fastpass system, each park has 1 or 2 rides not included in Genie+. These are the individual lightning lane attractions, and you buy a one time pass for them. These can be convenient because rather than getting the next available time, you can choose when your reservation is. This way it won't interfere with any dining reservations. I like to book them for the afternoon, when lines on everything else are at their longest. On-property guests get a bit of an advantage with the individual ride purchases. They can buy passes starting at 7 am, while off-site have to wait until park open.

If you loved the FP+ system and used it well (we'd easily did 8-10+ per day) then you will be disappointed with Genie+. It is not flexible and it's clunky software. Once you get used to it hopefully you can get more than the 2-3 they predict you'll get. I think it has value at MK and DHS and if you are a Hopper. Do I like it, no because I think it's an inferior product compared to FP+ even without the 3 in advance plus you pay for it.

BUT DS#2 just got back from both ...
... Disney using Genie+ with Hopping and buying ILL
and
... Universal with hopping and top Express Pass

He was disappointed with Express Pass and felt ripped off when comparing to what he was able to do with Genie+. He thinks Disney offers a better product but don't tell them because they'll raise the price up to a crazy amount. I'll just keep complaining about it to them in surveys. :rolleyes: I mean it's not as good as what they had.

If you loved the FP+ system and used it well (we'd easily did 8-10+ per day) then you will be disappointed with Genie+. It is not flexible and it's clunky software. Once you get used to it hopefully you can get more than the 2-3 they predict you'll get. I think it has value at MK and DHS and if you are a Hopper. Do I like it, no because I think it's an inferior product compared to FP+ even without the 3 in advance plus you pay for it.

BUT DS#2 just got back from both ...
... Disney using Genie+ with Hopping and buying ILL
and
... Universal with hopping and top Express Pass

He was disappointed with Express Pass and felt ripped off when comparing to what he was able to do with Genie+. He thinks Disney offers a better product but don't tell them because they'll raise the price up to a crazy amount. I'll just keep complaining about it to them in surveys. :rolleyes: I mean it's not as good as what they had.
Buying Express Pass in Universal is almost never worth it in my opinion, but it's frequently worth it to stay at one of the premier hotels that include it. One night in the hotel gets 4 people express for both days and costs less than buying it for one day.

Buying Express Pass in Universal is almost never worth it in my opinion, but it's frequently worth it to stay at one of the premier hotels that include it. One night in the hotel gets 4 people express for both days and costs less than buying it for one day.
Completely agree but he was with a large group so Cabana Bay was their budget. Only a handful got the express.

But I think for a comparison of similar products it was interesting to get his perspective doing both the same week.

Completely agree but he was with a large group so Cabana Bay was their budget. Only a handful got the express.

But I think for a comparison of similar products it was interesting to get his perspective doing both the same week.
One benefit I liked better with express pass is that you could use it on a ride as often as you like. I like express pass and genie + for different things.

I used genie + in every park and think it was well worth it. We rode everything we wanted. TT was the only ride we waited for at all with it. The rest were under 5 minutes. I learned a lot on the here now thread. We got lucky that a few converted to any time due to rain so we're able to use those on rides we already did again.
I was confused prior to my trip but with research had a good handle on it.

Yes it is a good comparison. I've done it where I stayed at a premier hotel then went to Disney and bought Genie+, but I've never paid the full price. Express gets you on way more rides and even saves you time when taking Hogwarts Express, but the price difference is insane.

We had 8 park days in August. We can compare FP+ in 2018 vs Genie+ today, both times staying offsite. Not being able to avoid early entry days is definitely a drawback as most of the big rides have a considerable wait by the time we could get in. So between early entry and longer waits, Genie+ is more necessary now than FP+ was.

On the plus side, the paid LL+ rides were all available at park open, so would could get any ones we wanted, even staying offsite. This allowed us to ride Seven Dwarfs and Flight of Passage with no wait, where in 2018 we had no chance at a FP+ and had to do the rope drop stampede to ride them.

Like others have said, Genie+ works great at MK and DHS. It just takes a bit of research to get an idea of when a ride typically "sells out" of Genie+. It even worked well for us at AK. At all 3 parks, we pretty much were able to get Genie+ for anything we wanted.

Genie+ at Epcot sucks. It is pretty much impossible to get Genie+ for the big 3 rides in 1 day. Remy has to be first. Frozen or TT will typically still be there for choice 2, but they will both be gone before a third choice can be made. Nothing else really needs it, even on a moderately busy day. On one day, due to TT downtime, we rope dropped Frozen. By 10:30, TT was gone. So we paid $75 for 5 of us to get a Remy Genie+ that day.

The big downside is cost, and it's a sneaky cost. Before you could prepay for most things and budget for them. With LL+ and Genie+, you're paying for it every day while on vacation, so it's harder to keep track of the spending until you get home.

We had 8 park days in August. We can compare FP+ in 2018 vs Genie+ today, both times staying offsite. Not being able to avoid early entry days is definitely a drawback as most of the big rides have a considerable wait by the time we could get in. So between early entry and longer waits, Genie+ is more necessary now than FP+ was.

On the plus side, the paid LL+ rides were all available at park open, so would could get any ones we wanted, even staying offsite. This allowed us to ride Seven Dwarfs and Flight of Passage with no wait, where in 2018 we had no chance at a FP+ and had to do the rope drop stampede to ride them.

Like others have said, Genie+ works great at MK and DHS. It just takes a bit of research to get an idea of when a ride typically "sells out" of Genie+. It even worked well for us at AK. At all 3 parks, we pretty much were able to get Genie+ for anything we wanted.

Genie+ at Epcot sucks. It is pretty much impossible to get Genie+ for the big 3 rides in 1 day. Remy has to be first. Frozen or TT will typically still be there for choice 2, but they will both be gone before a third choice can be made. Nothing else really needs it, even on a moderately busy day. On one day, due to TT downtime, we rope dropped Frozen. By 10:30, TT was gone. So we paid $75 for 5 of us to get a Remy Genie+ that day.

The big downside is cost, and it's a sneaky cost. Before you could prepay for most things and budget for them. With LL+ and Genie+, you're paying for it every day while on vacation, so it's harder to keep track of the spending until you get home.
This is good perspective, thanks. I hadn't thought about which parks made the most sense to use Genie+. I wonder if that is why Disney will now only allow buying by the day? We booked our upcoming December trip six or 7 months ago, so we were able to add Genie+ to the entire package, doesn't save money, but at least I don't have to go thru the hassle of buying it day by day. EPCOT, assuming GoG stays VQ, Remy and Frozen will be the only two we "have" to do, as we've never done them before. TT and Soaring, want to do, but won't be as disappointed if they don't happen or I have to do some standby late in the day.

This is good perspective, thanks. I hadn't thought about which parks made the most sense to use Genie+. I wonder if that is why Disney will now only allow buying by the day? We booked our upcoming December trip six or 7 months ago, so we were able to add Genie+ to the entire package, doesn't save money, but at least I don't have to go thru the hassle of buying it day by day. EPCOT, assuming GoG stays VQ, Remy and Frozen will be the only two we "have" to do, as we've never done them before. TT and Soaring, want to do, but won't be as disappointed if they don't happen or I have to do some standby late in the day.
I would actually add Soarin to the list of things you can get that is worth getting Genie+ for. The last time I went was before GOTG opened and Remy was still ILL, so I was able to get Frozen at 7 am but Test Track was gone by the time I could book a second, so I got Soarin and saved 40 minutes. If I could get Remy, Frozen, and one or two smaller rides then I would say Genie+ is worth it.

We love Soarin, but it kind of depends whether it needs Genie+ or not. It's pretty easy to find times early or late when there is little wait. But you can save time, if you get a mid-day Genie+

We got it included with our 14 day tickets - that has now ended but I think I took it a bit for granted. $60 a day for my family might have made me view it differently. Also, it depends when you go and if you are prepared to get to the parks for rope drop and whether you will use a touring plan from unofficial guide. And of course your tolerance for lines.

I think it has the least value at Epcot and Animal Kingdom. The World Showcase is, for me, the highlight and unless you have a desperate desire to get on Frozen or Remy it isn't any help there (and even then you can avoid lines if you time it right). Cosmic Rewind you have to pay for. Test Track you can get on quite quickly if you get there at park opening. And otherwise the lines - even in mid late summer - appeared pretty manageable.

For AK - again, the best ride - Flights of Passage - you have to pay more. We got there at park opening and by 12.30 we did most of what we wanted using Genie Plus only once for Kilamanjaro Safaris. But I just don't think there are enough rides to justify it. There is so much to see without going on all the rides.

Hollywood Studios has really elite rides, but not enough of them and lines gets very long so I think it is worthwhile there.

Magic Kingdom has so many attractions I think it is worth it.

Last edited:
We love Soarin, but it kind of depends whether it needs Genie+ or not. It's pretty easy to find times early or late when there is little wait. But you can save time, if you get a mid-day Genie+

Yes we used Genie Plus and saved about 15 minutes on Soarin. This was mid August. I had it included in my ticket and I have kids so even these 15-20 minute or even 5-10 minute savings really helped us and added up. We couldn't sustain more than a half day at the parks. But for most people I don't think it really would have helped on Soarin.

We have been going to WDW for over 40 years. Have seen many changes and we always rolled with them. However, this new ride system seems to me to be a bit much. I would like to hear different opinions on people’s experience with this new system especially from people who are long time DW visitors like us. TIA
I've been going for a very long time as well, don't want to say how long but long enough that I've been going since there was no line skipping, old paper FP and then FP+. We have used G+ a bunch and it's not hard to get the hang of but it's got some issues, as expected with anything Disney IT touches. We only use G+ in MK and DHS, I feel like it's not much of a value in Epcot and AK given fewer rides and really even on the busiest of days, you can mitigate the headliner waits with arriving early or riding at park close. Just not much bang for the buck when you have to pay for a whole family to skip the line. We also will purchase iLL$ for some headliners at some of the parks when we feel like sleeping in or doing other things. That is a nice option but you pay a premium for that and it kind if stinks. I like the system, it's pretty easy to navigate but it's glitchy for sure. I know when it was first released late last year, you had to have it for all days of your tix, it was all or nothing but when we went, you could add it a la carte to each day, each morning and that is the preferred method. I would have felt robbed if I had to pay for G+ for AK and Epcot. And in all honesty, you really could tour DHS without it so long as you plan to RD or stay late to get on some of the headliners.

One of our most recent trips was the tail end of spring break in April so pretty high crowds, and we were able to ride all we wanted to without rope dropping and arriving sometimes at lunch time so it did what it was supposed to. I think if Disney could hone in on some of the glitches like 7am glitching issues, it would be much better. Even the change of not being able to book rides when park hopping still has issues.

Do not bother using the Genie (free part of MDE) since it will tell you to do the most random, dumb things when you aren't even in that part of the park. I knew not to listen to it when it told me to ride Winnie the Pooh upon arrival at MK in the morning lol. But seriously, I think this part of the system is an attempt by Disney IT to move people to other parts of the park, but I doubt anyone really heeds the Genie's advice.

G+ works just fine but as many have mentioned, it's irritating now having to pay for what you used to be included in the price of admission. You definitely don't have to use it, but there are definitive advantages.

For all its warts and drawbacks compared to FP+, Genie+ can still be super useful if you're familiar with which rides sell out soonest and how likely you are to get particular return times for a given ride at each booking window. Stacking is great if your plans usually include a mid-day break. I wasn't sure at first how much I'd hate it, but after using it for our trip in April, my takeaway is that paying for it is a no-brainer for us. With two young kids in tow, waiting in any line for longer than 20 min is something to avoid if possible and seeing as how G+ saved us on average about 2 hours of waiting in standby each day, it was well worth it for us at $15 per person. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the price point doesnt stay at $15 for much longer.

Genie+ is the old paper fastpass system moved into an app. You can make your first reservation at 7 am, then once you use that one you can book the next one. Repeat until all the reservation times are gone for the day. So your strategy reverts to the old fastpass system when it comes to which ride you choose first.

Similar to the old system, if your next reservation is more than 2 hours away, you can book another pass before you use the one you already have. If you try to make a second reservation too early, the app will tell you what time you can make the next one at, which is very convenient.

Unlike the old Fastpass system, each park has 1 or 2 rides not included in Genie+. These are the individual lightning lane attractions, and you buy a one time pass for them. These can be convenient because rather than getting the next available time, you can choose when your reservation is. This way it won't interfere with any dining reservations. I like to book them for the afternoon, when lines on everything else are at their longest. On-property guests get a bit of an advantage with the individual ride purchases. They can buy passes starting at 7 am, while off-site have to wait until park open.
This is exactly how I view it and explained it myself.

What was interesting to me was a lot of other people didn't remember the old paper fastpass system having only started going and using any system during the time of FP+.

And that made me feel oldddddd. LOL

This is exactly how I view it and explained it myself.

What was interesting to me was a lot of other people didn't remember the old paper fastpass system having only started going and using any system during the time of FP+.

And that made me feel oldddddd. LOL

All of us FP vets who used to stand there with all of our group's ticket cards going 1-by-1 to get the paper FPs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter