Generally Anxious About Upcoming Galveston to San Juan

kmix78

Mouseketeer
Several reasons:

1) this is the first time we have ever taken our kids out of school to go on vacation. For my two youngest, it’s not really a huge issue… They are in fourth grade and eighth grade. My oldest is a freshman in high school, and she plays on a sports team. When I booked this cruise, I didn’t realize that soccer season went clear through January. In middle school it ended in December. Our school district allows five days For vacations, but the high school only allows a total of nine absences per semester. We will be starting her Second semester with six absences.

2) this cruise is a Christmas gift for our kids, we are going to tell them sometime in mid December… That way the older kids have time to coordinate with their teachers get some work ahead of time that they can do over Christmas break and all that. I will allow my oldest to make the decision about whether not she wants to go on this vacation, given the sports issue and the absence issue. I’m worried that she’ll decide not to go, and that I will spend my whole vacation sad that she’s not with us.

3) Puerto Rico! We have a hotel booked for a couple of days after our cruise, with the original intentionOf enjoying a gorgeous Caribbean island Before heading back home to the desert of Arizona. I’m not sure what the condition of the island will be, if there will be anything for us to enjoy, etc.

For the first time ever, I’m not feeling super excited about our Disney cruise. I am hoping that once we tell the kids, their excitement will help. Anybody ever been in this type of situation?

Several reasons:

1) this is the first time we have ever taken our kids out of school to go on vacation. For my two youngest, it’s not really a huge issue… They are in fourth grade and eighth grade. My oldest is a freshman in high school, and she plays on a sports team. When I booked this cruise, I didn’t realize that soccer season went clear through January. In middle school it ended in December. Our school district allows five days For vacations, but the high school only allows a total of nine absences per semester. We will be starting her Second semester with six absences.

2) this cruise is a Christmas gift for our kids, we are going to tell them sometime in mid December… That way the older kids have time to coordinate with their teachers get some work ahead of time that they can do over Christmas break and all that. I will allow my oldest to make the decision about whether not she wants to go on this vacation, given the sports issue and the absence issue. I’m worried that she’ll decide not to go, and that I will spend my whole vacation sad that she’s not with us.

3) Puerto Rico! We have a hotel booked for a couple of days after our cruise, with the original intentionOf enjoying a gorgeous Caribbean island Before heading back home to the desert of Arizona. I’m not sure what the condition of the island will be, if there will be anything for us to enjoy, etc.

For the first time ever, I’m not feeling super excited about our Disney cruise. I am hoping that once we tell the kids, their excitement will help. Anybody ever been in this type of situation?
It isn't fair to put a high school freshman in the position of having to choose between being a good student/team member, and going on the family vacation.

I recommend rescheduling the trip for a time that really works for your whole family, which this trip does not. High school is so hard to miss due to the class content, assignments, tests, GPA to be maintained for college, etc. Add having to miss sports team practice, and a real burden has been created for that child.

No trip is worth that.

Well, rescheduling isn’t an option because we are way past PIF and insurance doesn’t cover this. Already checked.

It may not be the vacation you envisioned, because your high schooler may not be with you, but you booked a great cruise with the best of intentions! Repositioning cruises are special, and it will be fun.

There have been posts similar in the past, and I hope some will join this thread telling of happy resolutions.

Our children are 40 and 43 and we did a FL vacation to the Everglades without our oldest because of high school issues one November when I had time off because it was Jersey Week and Matt was in private HS. It worked for us, and could for you!

thanks Bobbiwoz!
I would love to hear some happy stories from others who have faced this predicament. We will support our daughter no matter what decision she makes, but this is a toughie!

I have a college daughter and looking back there are things we should have done that would not have affected anything. Taking her out of school for vacations would be one of them. You only get so many vacations while they are growing up and there are many, many, many days of school. If it fits in their rules of how many to miss I say go and have fun! Missing a few days will not affect her GPA in the long run. If your daughter feels comfortable and is willing to work before and after to make it up then it can be done. I hope she is excited for the trip and your worries will be at ease. We too will be on the Galveston to San Juan cruise!

Shellymo-
Are you spending time in PR after the cruise? I’ve been watching cruise critic like a hawk, checking for updates about San Juan. So far, reports are just “ok”. Good news is that the forts are open again, which is one of the things I was really looking forward to doing. I want the kids to get some educational value out of this trip.

It isn't fair to put a high school freshman in the position of having to choose between being a good student/team member, and going on the family vacation.

I recommend rescheduling the trip for a time that really works for your whole family, which this trip does not. High school is so hard to miss due to the class content, assignments, tests, GPA to be maintained for college, etc. Add having to miss sports team practice, and a real burden has been created for that child.

No trip is worth that.
I got the impression from her post that she was worried about the condition of San Juan not looking for parenting advice. Her cruise is in January anyway so well past the point of making changes.

That will be a difficult decision, would there be a nice place where she can stay while you are away, a good friend maybe so she will have fun as well?

On the other hand, if the school gives you a few days for a holiday, you can use it. To start the semester with 6 days of leave doesn't seem too bad, there are still three left. Assuming sick leave is not included in the absence leave, it means you just can not go on another long holiday. And for the soccer, how many matches will she miss, maybe just one?

If you have teachers who are willing to help her with the missed lessons and a coach who is a bit flexible then it should all be possible without too many negative consequences. Maybe you can already check a bit with the teachers how they think about it, if you explain what you explained here that you booked it with a lot of enthusiasm but now you are worried and that you were not aware of the soccer season being longer, would they not be willing to help? Then, when you bring the news you already know how the teachers think and hopefully making it easier for your daughter to decide.

Hi! Yep, she will stay with her grandmother (a few blocks from Home), and she should be in heaven sinc Grammy spoils her like nobody’s business! Lol

I am going to contact all the kids teachers in the next week or so. I’d like them to actually be able to have their work caught up BEFORE leaving. Since this trip is at the tail end of winter break, and starting a new grading period, it might not be possible to work ahead. We shall see.

Hi! Yep, she will stay with her grandmother (a few blocks from Home), and she should be in heaven sinc Grammy spoils her like nobody’s business! Lol

I am going to contact all the kids teachers in the next week or so. I’d like them to actually be able to have their work caught up BEFORE leaving. Since this trip is at the tail end of winter break, and starting a new grading period, it might not be possible to work ahead. We shall see.
Have fun. Report back on San Juan if you can.

You mentioned traveling with another family. Do they have any kids in high school?

Yes, it is. We are traveling with friends, and we have both confirmed with the hotel directly that they are up and running. Our reservations are still valid as well.

Many people have checked with the hotels directly and the next day had their reservations cancelled.

Go over to the message boards on cruisecritic, find ports of call, find Caribbean, and go to the San Juan page. They are keeping one or two active threads about the hotels that are truly actually open and you can also find the ones that keep cancelling.

Yes they do, and one of their is also a high school student (but they are in TX, not AZ)

They know that much of TX is pretty scary about missing school for vacations, yes?

Yes, I’ve been on CC non stop keeping tabs on everything.

As far as TX attendance stuff- I believe they’ve done their due diligence on what is or isn’t acceptable within their district.

Shellymo-
Are you spending time in PR after the cruise? I’ve been watching cruise critic like a hawk, checking for updates about San Juan. So far, reports are just “ok”. Good news is that the forts are open again, which is one of the things I was really looking forward to doing. I want the kids to get some educational value out of this trip.
Due to my daughters college starting back up 1/16 we will have a flight out that afternoon at 4:30ish. She has to drive back to school the next day after we arrive home. Was hoping to see Old San Juan during the day then head to the airport. It looks like a good part of that area will be open. There are quite a few cruises, Disney and others between now and then. I too am watching the updates on cruise critic and here. It is great to hear everyone's experiences with the country, port and airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter