• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

General Dopey Questions

wlmfoster

Earning My Ears
What is the weather normally like? Doing Dopey I have to pack for 4 races (I don't like being stinky so I won't re-tread). For the 5k and 10k I am not so worried on being hot/cold. They are short enough not to worry about. I like to run cold but I have not idea what "normal" is. I now about the early start but.....

I don't plan on commando'ing the parks like normal during my WDW trips. I plan on going for a limited time on Wednesday, Thursday, very briefly on Friday then probably not on Saturday unless it is to eat. What do you do?

Assume you can pick up all your bibs etc in one stop (Wednesday for me). Correct?

When/where do you grab the extra two medals?

How hard is it to get a late check out on Sunday (on-property)?

Would love to hear any "this is one thing I learned" tips.

Bill

I haven't done Dopey yet but have gone to WDW weekend the past two years.

Weather can vary from 30s to 70s or higher. Some years its cold, some its hot. Pack for both.

I am probably different than most but I go to the parks every day and try to make the most of my vacation.

You will get both of your bibs at once.

You get the goofy and dopey medals after you complete the marathon. You go to a tent for dopey participants and they verify you finished all four races.

I haven't done any late check outs so can't help you there.

What is the weather normally like? Doing Dopey I have to pack for 4 races (I don't like being stinky so I won't re-tread). For the 5k and 10k I am not so worried on being hot/cold. They are short enough not to worry about. I like to run cold but I have not idea what "normal" is. I now about the early start but.....

Like @rteetz said it's a toss-up. I've run Dopey three times. We've had runs at 30, runs at 80, full sun, no sun, windy, no wind, rain, etc. Your best bet is to pack every possible option. I bring enough running clothes to run 4 races in all types of weather conditions. It means a lot of the clothes go unused and just use space in baggage, but I'd like to stay comfortable. And don't pay attention too much in the days ahead to the weather predictions. Based on the last 3 years, day of is so variable it's hard to predict before leaving. I want to say the one consistent trend over the last three years has been the 5K is typically the coldest and marathon the warmest (opposite of what I would hope).

To aid in the possible variable temps I bring the following with me in addition to running clothes:

-8 trash bags. One for torso and one for feet. So when you reach a place to stand in the corral just slip the 2nd bag over your shoes to keep them dry. But please please please throw the garbage bag in the trash when finished. Do not throw it on the ground as it is a tripping hazard and can be dangerous for your fellow runner.
-4 towels. Dry and comfortable thing to sit on pre-race. I get them for $3 per on Black Friday
-8 fleece throws. I get them at $2 per on Black Friday. Can keep my torso warm.
-4 pairs of fleece pants (oversized). I get them at $4 per on Black Friday

All of the clothes can be thrown in a donation bin prior to the start while in the corral. And the beauty of it is I can bring these things on the trip, but if I don't use them, then I save them for the next year.

I don't plan on commando'ing the parks like normal during my WDW trips. I plan on going for a limited time on Wednesday, Thursday, very briefly on Friday then probably not on Saturday unless it is to eat. What do you do?

At the end of the day, this is a family vacation for us. So the agreement with my wife is that I participate in 95% of all vacation activities. And my level of fatigue from racing can never be used as an excuse for me to not participate. The one item I have is early dinner reservations that everyone in the party has agreed to, and the allowance to be in bed at 6:00-6:30pm when need be. To alleviate being in the parks so much, I do the following:

-Compression calf sleeves after every race. Under normal circumstances, I would only need it post-marathon. But after the first and second year, I found wearing them everyday was best.
-Drink lots and lots of water. Stay hydrated!
-Take sitting breaks or leaning breaks whenever possible.
-Keep moving. By continuously moving it keeps me from stiffening up throughout the days leading into the next races.

Practice timing your bathroom breaks during training. Personally I have found that my bladder is clear after 2 hours of drinking something. I intend on getting to the front of the corral. So that means I'm in the corral around 4:30 am for the 5:30am race. Which means I need to hit up the bathroom around 4:00-4:15. Which means I drink my last liquid at around 2:00am. As long as I drink around 16-32 oz of water roughly 2 hours prior to the last bathroom break I won't get dehydrated. In the 12 Disney races I've done, this has worked 11/12 times.

"Normal" would be mid 50s at start of the races and climbing to the 70s during the marathon. Depending on how much before the races you are traveling the weather websites are not too bad at estimating in the days leading up (2+ weeks before the event is a crap shoot but that does not keep everyone from overreacting to the forecast). Certainly the weather websites will let you know if it is going to be 30 vs. 70 degrees.

The extra medals (goofy and dopey I assume) are in clearly marked areas after finishing the marathon. Otherwise you could pick up some extra ones on Ebay later.

I have never been able to get late checkout in the past years, asked a couple times but was told they were booked and could not so have stopped asking. But have come back to hotel after the marathon around 10ish and have showered, laid in the bed, packed, and left late anyways. Usually leaving the room between 11:30 and 12:00 without any housekeeping knocking down the door.

Assume you can pick up all your bibs etc in one stop (Wednesday for me). Correct?

Bill

To echo the previous statements, there hasn't been a "normal" for my 5 Marathon Weekends. I guess the majority of my races (listed in signature box) have been moderate to warm, a couple (2013 Full and 2016 Full) have been on the hot side, and the 5K and 10K in 2015 were cold and windy (there were people 5-10 deep huddled around generators and lighting). Depending on whether you are using Disney transportation and following the guidelines for arriving at the races early it can be a considerably longer wait at the corrals/staging area than most races so it is best to be prepared. Having throw-away clothes and a few extra options is probably best for having all your bases covered. Also, looking at the 5-10 day forecast before packing/leaving can provide a little help in deciding if planning for extreme heat or extreme cold is necessary.

I don't have any insight on late check-out and I think your expo and medal questions have been answered.

The one thing I continue to learn is that this is a lot of people. It is going to be crowded in certain places and there are things that don't run as smoothly as they should (transportation). I like to focus on the great things and not let the (relatively) few annoyances get to me.

Basically pack for all weather. Florida likes to change. Last January I packed pants, jackets, hoodies, gloves, head bands to cover my ears. For waiting in the corrals pack throwaway clothes &/or mylars. For the actually races I did tanks and skorts.

I do parks all day and did during Dopey, but did head back to the room before 8. Making myself try to sleep earlier just doesn't work for me. We always carry bottled waters, poweardes, etc with us so we are constantly staying hydrated leading to up and on race days. It's a great time to take advantage of sit breaks at shows or even just a bench to people watch.

My brother got late checkout on Sunday after the marathon at Sports without any problem.

My biggest thing I learned the hard way - - -Don't eat at any buffets or condiment bars leading up. I ate at Pecos Bills after the half and got a food illness from it, most likely the condiment bar. Up all night sick and my marathon was a disaster. Keep to safe foods and avoid anything that other people could contaminate. We brought protein bars (& other 'healthier' snacks) this past Wine & Dine trip which were great to have as snacks as sometimes Disney food while tasty may not be the best before racing.

I did a quick review of weather underground's history for Orlando, Fl during WDW Marathon Weekend.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 11.55.55 AM.png

I use Temperature + Dew point as my calculation for what it feels like outside. So the values seen here reflect that. This value does not take into account wind chill (which is relevant for T+D of 80 and below) or the effect of full sun.

How it effects one is relative to what they are used to and what they were experiencing right before the race, but here is a handy chart with typical responses.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 11.57.50 AM.png

I come from Wisconsin where the temperature/wind chill has been as low as -50 on the day we leave (in fact it was 2 out of 3 times we've gone for Marathon weekend). So a T+D of 138 may feel nice in the summer, but when coming from -50 a T+D of 138 can feel downright sweltering. I practice heat acclimatization training for the two weeks prior to Marathon weekend to help make the adjustment less severe.

Lots of good feedback here! I would only add that it is worth it to get up on the early side so you can arrive before the crowds back up at bag check. Last year I got a late start on Saturday and coming off the bus ran into a bag check line that was insane! By the time I was through I had to run to my corrall to make it before it started! If you dress warm with throw aways or don't mind the cold (I live in Michigan) waiting in the corral is not bad. Especially compared to racing the huge crowds just to get to the start! Keep in mind it is a distance from check-in to the corrals. Have a great race.

So you've already gotten answers to some of these but what the heck...
Be prepared for any type of conditions. In 2010, it sleeted. In 2013, there was a heat advisory. In 2015, there was a wind chill warning. Pack layers! And bring throwaway clothes to wear before the start of the races, since you will be waiting around for awhile in the corrals.
I take it easy. I'm lucky to get to go to the parks other times during the year, so when I go for Dopey (I say that like I've done it many times, but this wil only be Dopey #2 for me), that's the main focus. It's less park time, which was hard for me to accept at first, but it's what I signed up for.
Yes, at the expo. Keep in mind that you only get one set of safety pins for the two bibs you get (5k/10k, half marathon/marathon). You'll have your picture taken with your bib for verification later (see below).
There''s a clearly marked tent at the finish area that'll say Goofy/Dopey/Challenge or something like that. You wait in line to get your picture pulled up to confirm that you ran all 4 races and didn't do Dopey as part of a team effort, so to speak. That's where the picture from the expo comes into play.
I have no idea, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I would assume it would depend on how many people are booked to check in on the day that you are checking out.

Bill
The training is the hardest part, but if you put in the time and work, it's worth it. :)

What is the weather normally like?
I haven't done Dopey yet, but I'm a WDW lcoal and have done various races over marathon weekend for years... there is no "normal" for our weather in January! Really, as has been said, it's been in the 20s with wind chill in the teens and SNOW, and it's been in the 70s with a midday high in the 80s. Be prepared for anything! As a Floridian I chill easily, so I buy a big pack of Mylar blankets form Amazon - nothing works better at trapping heat and cutting wind, in my experience, and it doubles as a waterproof blanket to sit on. I also save some old sweaters/sweatshirts/race shirts that would normally go to Goodwill and use them as throwaway layers that I can wear until I no longer need them, then toss; Disney donates them to local homeless shelters.

I spend very little time in the parks on race weekends - my focus is on the racing. I have no plans for Thurs but may pop into MK for a ride or two, and plan to meet some friends for 1 ride Friday, no parks at all Sat, dinner at a park Sunday.

Yep!

After the marathon there will be a tent to go through where they check on laptops to make sure you completed all required races, then you receive the challenge medals on the other side of the tent.

That I don't know, but I wouldn't count on it.

One thing I learned recently - there are a LOT of people trying to use WiFi/cellular in the finish area and it can crawl to a halt. If you NEED to meet someone after the race, plan a spot and time for that to happen; don't rely on being able to text/PM or call, just in case.

Mark me in the "little-to-no" park time camp. Having now done Dopey (and quite a few other challenges on both Coasts), I can definitely say that when running Disney, one experience is going to suffer - either your park experience OR your race experience.

At Disneyland, I tend to let my race experience suffer because I don't get to go to Disneyland as often - and that means LOTS of park time and incredibly tired legs/feet come half marathon day.

At WDW, it's all about race experience. I'm lucky enough that when I'm in Orlando, I'm there for 3-5 weeks at a time so I get plenty of park time.

This time around, I've been pretty clear to my besties that I plan to do nothing but hang out at Stormalong Bay on Saturday and rest. I've got some park time scattered in there Wednesday/Thursday/Friday ... but definitely nothing more than 2-3 FP+s stacked up on each other and a meal over the course of a couple of hours. I'm definitely not waiting in line for anything.

one experience is going to suffer - either your park experience OR your race experience.
This would depend on the person though. We just got back from Wine & dine with a full week of park touring all day and all 3 races and didn't feel like our park time was cut at all and we had great race times & photo ops at the races. So just depends on the person themselves if anything suffers, which only that individual can/will know and find out.

This would depend on the person though. We just got back from Wine & dine with a full week of park touring all day and all 3 races and didn't feel like our park time was cut at all and we had great race times & photo ops at the races. So just depends on the person themselves if anything suffers, which only that individual can/will know and find out.
I see what you're saying, but for someone doing Dopey/a challenge for the first time (which I guess I assume the OP is doing Dopey for the first time) I'd err on the side of caution and make the races the priority. :confused3

As far as weather, some people bring extra clothes they bought at flea markets, maybe to wear at the start corrals-especially if it's raining, that they can throw away. Or what DH did was bring the space blanket that they'd given him at the finish line the day before, wore it in the corral (kept him nice and warm and dry while people around him shivered and got wet). As far as the extra medals, be aware that after the half marathon, they'll probably steer you into a tent afterwards to have your picture taken, that's what they did last year.

Sure. But don't you think you'd have had a better marathon experience this year if you didn't eat at Pecos Bill's the day before the Marathon?

This is about Dopey, not W&D or any other non-Marathon weekend.

As far as weather, some people bring extra clothes they bought at flea markets, maybe to wear at the start corrals-especially if it's raining, that they can throw away. Or what DH did was bring the space blanket that they'd given him at the finish line the day before, wore it in the corral (kept him nice and warm and dry while people around him shivered and got wet). As far as the extra medals, be aware that after the half marathon, they'll probably steer you into a tent afterwards to have your picture taken, that's what they did last year.
I feel like they have been stingy with the Mylar blankets lately - not impressed by that! I wouldn't count on always getting those after a race. :sad2:

I feel like they have been stingy with the Mylar blankets lately - not impressed by that! I wouldn't count on always getting those after a race. :sad2:

I agree. The best bet is to bring some old sweats which Disney will collect, wash, and donate to people who need them.

Sure. But don't you think you'd have had a better marathon experience this year if you didn't eat at Pecos Bill's the day before the Marathon?
This is about Dopey, not W&D or any other non-Marathon weekend.
Yes, true on that (although getting sick can happen anywhere at anytime, I had to eat somewhere whether in park, resort or brought food). I don't think mentioning another race weekend is terrible as you can compare many aspects of them, it's not a crime, plus I see you mentioning Disneyland so kind of funny there. The thing is, your statement sounded like everyone will have the same problem of something suffering as you do, which may or may not be true. It depends on the person and what they want to get out of parks & races, but saying something will suffer is still a personal choice/feeling on that person's expectations going in, in the first place.

Last edited:
Someone on The Running Thread mentioned can buy packs on Amazon for 50 cents per blanket or so. Of course they don't say runDisney but they keep you warm.

As for doing the parks with races I will say that my plan for racing and experience in the park both differ. I never plan to perform at my best during a Disney race. There are more people than most races I do which leads to occasional bottlenecks, more on course entertainment, running with friends which changes my pace, bathroom breaks (something I generally don't do during a half), and of course, pictures at mile markers. Therefore if I walk ten miles through the park eat ice cream, huge meals, and perform poorly, I'm not too upset. Although I should say doing those miles through the park have varying effects on my performance since I felt the walking through the parks much more after Tink 10k morning than the half although I did about the same amount of park time.

For me at least, that's not the plan for Dopey. A marathon is a lot different from a half and running a half followed by a marathon the next day is even more taxing. I plan to spend less time in the park every day leading up to the marathon until Saturday I'm sitting by the pool all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter