Gender Reveal parties

Dang, you all would positively hate me in real life. There were 5 showers thrown for my first ds (the only people invited to more than 1 was my mom and sister.) Then someone threw a very small sprinkle for my second ds.

Knock on wood, I've never been invited to one because I do think they are kind of ridiculous. The only gender reveal that I really cared a huge amount about was my sister's twins 3 years ago. Her "gender reveal" was a 3-way call with our mom and me to tell us they were both girls.

My rules - 1 bridal shower, 1 baby shower no matter how many sprogs you choose to produce. I was an older bride and we both had our own homes so there was NO bridal shower. I also preferred no baby shower but we had lost our first pregnancy at 20wks, so my two best friends said I had to have one. I did however restrict it to my mum, my sisters, MIL, SIL, my two besties and their Mum’s (I had known these women since I was 5). One of my bestie’s also had 2 little daughters so they were there as well as my niece.

Last edited:
I like to get together with friends/family and celebrate happy things! I don’t care if it’s a gender reveal party or sprinkle shower or whatever. When I was pregnant, I was invited to a big family reunion and I offered to bring a dessert. I told everyone I had made cupcakes to celebrate a healthy baby at the 20 week scan. I had filled the cupcakes with pink/blue icing so everyone cut into their cupcake at the same time to find out the sex. I will never forget my entire extended family fighting for cupcakes and cheering wildly when they cut into them. So yeah, I would absolutely go to a gender reveal party. If gifts are expected, bring a pack of diapers. It costs 10 bucks and is appreciated by parents of both XX and XY babies.

When given the opportunity to be generous with my loved ones, giving money, time, or energy, I do what I can and rarely regret it.

Prior to Covid at my former company when we were working in the office there was a baby shower for every baby no matter if it was someone’s 1st, 5th, etc and they started having gender reveal parties. I hated going to either of those things as I was never fortunate enough to have kids and it always made me feel awful but knew if it was for anyone on my team and I did not attend I would hear about it so it was easier to just do it to avoid any issues. I mostly did not go if it was someone in another department but sometimes needed to depending on who it was.

OP ~ you are not a party pooper because that really is someone who goes to a party and then behaves in a way that brings down or ruins the party. You just don't enjoy those types of parties and that is okay.

Dang, you all would positively hate me in real life. There were 5 showers thrown for my first ds (the only people invited to more than 1 was my mom and sister.) Then someone threw a very small sprinkle for my second ds.
People saying they don’t like showers, sprinkles are dumb, and I said I don’t mind gender reveal parties.
No I don't think anyone would hate you for things you enjoy BUT are you okay if folks RSVP no because they don't enjoy or want to attend for whatever their views? I think this thread shows that lots of folks don't enjoy or for lack of better term "believe" in these events - and that is okay, just like it's okay you like them. :thumbsup2

Prior to Covid at my former company when we were working in the office there was a baby shower for every baby no matter if it was someone’s 1st, 5th, etc and they started having gender reveal parties. I hated going to either of those things as I was never fortunate enough to have kids and it always made me feel awful but knew if it was for anyone on my team and I did not attend I would hear about it so it was easier to just do it to avoid any issues. I mostly did not go if it was someone in another department but sometimes needed to depending on who it was.
This makes me sad and honestly it makes me dislike these things more. I always hated the office "celebrations" where everyone was expected to attend and pitch in for gifts (particularly the forced financial cost) .... but I didn't think about the emotional toll it took on some. Even the "at home" parties, there are some invited that it must be painful for whether it's baby or wedding events. :sad2:

I just thought of something funny. My step daughter, on her 3rd baby, texted “girl” after they had their ultrasound. 😂

My kind of gender reveal. 😁

I did see a cute one on Facebook recently. A video of the couple biting into cupcakes that had blue filling. No one else was in the video. Simple and cute.

It's obnoxious and the disparity as to what was thrown was very clear. I was on the crappy side of what was thrown together after planning two gorgeous wedding showers and two gorgeous baby showers (at the the advice of my boss) and my boss' 50th birthday. Never again. I don't need work to throw me a shower. I need the damn day off before my wedding or baby's birth. Covid is not the reason I don't work there anymore.

I've been invited to 2 gender reveal parties over the past 10 years.
One was for a nephew, they did a reveal at a family gathering, no one brought gifts.

The other was for a 40 year old woman expecting her 8th child.
We passed on that one.

I will soon have 6 grandkids, not one had a gender reveal party.
I expect to get a text to be told the gender of baby number 6 next weekend!

TF are you even talking about? It was in reference to a specific post - but no, when I was born, there were no cakes, confetti, etc.

Well the original post you responded to was about gender disappointment and you offered up that your mom experienced no doubts that you were “XX”.

The reply piggybacking on your post was referring to the apparent new trend of using of XX and XY instead of saying girl or boy; and musing if pink and blue would still be used for reveals.

I’m sorry no one celebrated your birth with cake or confetti.

Just got invited to another gender reveal. (For my niece, the dad is my husband’s brother, who he is medium-close to.)

Did this not stand out to anyone else? Her niece is married to her brother-in-law? Also, medium-close… :scratchin

Did this not stand out to anyone else? Her niece is married to her brother-in-law? Also, medium-close
I read as ... the mother-to-be is their niece ... the daughter of her husband's brother. Husband and his brother are medium-close .............. not sure what that means for closeness with the niece.

I read as ... the mother-to-be is their niece ... the daughter of her husband's brother. Husband and his brother are medium-close .............. not sure what that means for closeness with the niece.
I read it as the unborn baby is the niece and the child’s father is OP’s husband’s brother. In other words, her brother-in-law’s baby.

I like to get together with friends/family and celebrate happy things! I don’t care if it’s a gender reveal party or sprinkle shower or whatever.

When given the opportunity to be generous with my loved ones, giving money, time, or energy, I do what I can and rarely regret it.
I absolutely love your attitude about this—you must be amazing in real life. It is exactly how I would like to be, but I will admit that I dread larger social events like weddings and showers. I am kind of introverted, but always make an effort and then spend days reviewing everything I said in my head worried I said or did something stupid or rude. I start feeling anxious as soon as the invitation arrives.

I feel like "gender" reveal parties are trendy and will go away at some point, especially with the upcoming generation of mothers.

This thread reminded me that I didn't have a shower for either of my children. We adopted our girls from foster care (we were their foster parents for about a year or so before adoption was finalized). I had forgotten about that until I read this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter