Gender Reveal parties

clh2

<font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my
Just got invited to another gender reveal. (For my niece, the dad is my husband’s brother, who he is medium-close to.)

I do not understand the point of these parties. Yes, I am excited that my niece and her husband are expecting. My daughter and I cannot wait until her registries are online, so we can start shopping! But I also feel like for any gender reveal, the people who care the most are the new parents. I really do not care if it is a boy or girl.

So-do others feel this way? Or am I just a party-pooper?

To be honest, there is only a 50% chance we will be there, my husband starts a 6 week pretty intense medical treatment tomorrow, so we will only attend if he is feeling ok.

Never been interested in them and think they are dumb. My sister in law just did a quick zoom call with us which was very cute to let us know the gender. My brother and his wife didn't want to know the gender beforehand. So baby reveal was gender reveal LOL. Outside of that I really couldn't possibly care less. I mean I'm excited for the new baby on the way and of course want a happy and healthy pregnancy. And I'll even go to a baby shower no matter how boring they are, but for the love of God please don't add in a gender reveal party.

I think very low-key things (like cake or balloons in a surprise color) just for the older siblings, can be a cute way to get them excited about having a baby brother or sister, but huge events with fireworks and the like are over-the-top and sometimes even dangerous.

Last edited:
Not a fan. It will be a boy. Or it will be a girl. Beyond the parents, most people don't care.

Back in the day (meaning before gender reveals were a thing) a family member found out themselves, and told everyone they wouldn't reveal it until the baby arrived. I've got news. They people who really cared already knew.

Not a fan. It will be a boy. Or it will be a girl. Beyond the parents, most people don't care.

Back in the day (meaning before gender reveals were a thing) a family member found out themselves, and told everyone they wouldn't reveal it until the baby arrived. I've got news. They people who really cared already knew.
I know, right?

:rolleyes: OK. Regardless of the the current noise, I think most of the people living out in Regularland still pretty much expect to be having either a boy or a girl.
Right but gender is not the same as sex (biological) and these parties only tend to reveal what sex a child will be (gender, by definition - even out in "regularland" :rolleyes: - reflects social and cultural differences/identities, which a newborn baby won't be demonstrating). One could make an argument that even a sex reveal party is unclear (given things like genetics, physical sex characteristics) - but the PP was accurate when stating that these are "sex reveals" not "gender reveals".

https://tenor.com/bWAuG.gif

Just got invited to another gender reveal. (For my niece, the dad is my husband’s brother, who he is medium-close to.)

I do not understand the point of these parties. Yes, I am excited that my niece and her husband are expecting. My daughter and I cannot wait until her registries are online, so we can start shopping! But I also feel like for any gender reveal, the people who care the most are the new parents. I really do not care if it is a boy or girl.

So-do others feel this way? Or am I just a party-pooper?

To be honest, there is only a 50% chance we will be there, my husband starts a 6 week pretty intense medical treatment tomorrow, so we will only attend if he is feeling ok.
I'm of an age where this was never a thing. Honestly, I've always wondered: WHY? Even making a video of it seems too much to me.

AS a side note, someone in my husband's family (no reveal, no party, no video) had an ultrasound for #2, posted on FB what the sex was ( this would had made 1x and 1 y) and then delivered another X. She was so devasted, never really got over it and there was a divorce. No one will ever know if that was the cause, but the whole thing was sad !!

Right but gender is not the same as sex (biological) and these parties only tend to reveal what sex a child will be (gender, by definition - even out in "regularland" :rolleyes: - reflects social and cultural differences/identities, which a newborn baby won't be demonstrating). One could make an argument that even a sex reveal party is unclear (given things like genetics, physical sex characteristics) - but the PP was accurate when stating that these are "sex reveals" not "gender reveals".

...and I'll double-down by saying that most people still expect to be raising a boy or a girl.

I have been to a few for really close friends. It was a fun afternoon of other close friends, food, and drinks. The “reveal” was simple. Just cutting a cake or balloons.

Gender reveal parties became a “thing” right after I had my boys.

There’s always gonna be one RIP thread

:rolleyes: OK. Regardless of the the current noise, I think most of the people living out in Regularland still pretty much expect to be having either a boy or a girl.
That's why I predict the next pointless thing similar to gender reveal parties will be gender declaration parties or whatever they decide to call it.

Regardless if I was invited to a gender reveal party - I'd just skip it - Id rather dig a ditch on a Sunday afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter