Gators at resorts...facts and wise tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I know I'm not the only one thinking OMGosh gators!! I would rather have facts and not hype...and hopefully my question will help someone else visiting.

Gators....what word of caution and wisdom would you give to those of us who are clueless?

What word of comfort would you give to those who have the tendency of freaking out when the word 'gator' is mentioned?

Thank you
Honestly, I would be more concerned about poisonous snakes in Florida than gators. Snakes are everywhere!

Honestly, I would be more concerned about poisonous snakes in Florida than gators. Snakes are everywhere!

Now THOSE we look out for! After seeing the story on here years ago about the little boy who dropped his car off the path into the mulch at his resort, then was bitten by a venomous snake when he put his hand in the brush. I tell my kids ONLY stay on the paths!

I live in Florida and previous to living here worked with gators.

While I am sure Disney will continue to monitor and remove larger gators, the land area of Disney and the lenths that gators can travel mean that there should never be a time when you assume that waters will be gator free. They travel in water, on land, and over distances. They can climb fences to a degree. They will be here.

The advice to stay out of the water's edge and even stay several from the water is safest. Disney has many areas along the water that are nicely planted. These areas can also provide a haven for alligators.

Though the very large gators are the most intimidating and very dangerous in the water, its the mid-sized animals that I believe are most concerning. They have size and strength, but not so much that their speed or movement is impeded. They can jump further than most people expect and are very manueverable. Still, staying away from the waters edge will keep you safer.

As pointed out above, feeding wildlife removes their fear of humans and increasing the chance of a negative encounter. If you pause to look into the canals of central florida a gator will often pop up, sometimes swimming toward your position. They grow accustomed to fishermen tossing their fish back, and other ways that we feed them. It is very unfortunate.

While this is tragic and we all should be aware of the possible dangers, I personally continue to allow my kids into (non Disney) monitored waters where there is a possibility of gators. Ensuring that it is daylight and that you can clearly see the bottom of the water and avoid reedy areas is a part of that process.

Many people thought the "no swimming sign" means there is bacteria in the water . Isn't bacteria as equally scary as a man-eating alligator??? I would not let my kids to touch a drop of that dirty lake water with the chances of getting sick during a vacation.

This is exactly my thought! While the primary route of entry for Naegleria Fowleri is through the nose, it can also enter the body through scrapes, cuts, or opened blisters. Why are so many people mad there's no signs specifically warning of alligators, but willing to risk primary amebic meningoencephalitis (which often leads to death)!?!?!

So true. Stop feeding them, and stop harassing them. When we were there over Easter, my mother and I encountered a young (9-10 year old) boy and his father several times around CSR. The boy had a little net and the father was carrying the ice bucket (no ice) from their room. The boy was chasing and catching lizards (there was no short supply), and they were dumping them into the ice bucket. It bothered us, but we didn't say anything. :(
I cringe to think of the family who got their room next. Do you really think the maid sanitized that ice bucket enough that the next family could use ice from it??? Ugh!

Being a transplant from the northeast to the Low Country of South Carolina....I have alligators in the lagoon behind my home. I do go out to watch them or whatever, but every other second I look behind me and around me.

But the point I want to make here is, if not only alligators, I think poisonous snakes (and especially water moccasins that are poisonous snakes in the water) are more of a threat in Florida than the alligators. Always, always be on guard.

My rules for alligators/snakes at WDW (my DD thought I was a bit paranoid until this am...)

1) the only water I'm in is the shower or pool-after I check the pool....snakes are sometimes in pools, too
2) don't go near reeds, bushes, etc near water (or landscaping on property)
3) stick to paths but KEEP AN EYE OUT-snakes like to sun on warm concrete
4) if I'm on a path adjacent to water (say the path from YC/BWI to HS) I keep an eye out, stay in the middle and move with purpose...I've been known to turn around if I see a suspicious shadow at night (better safe than sorry)
5) I don't feed or any other way interact with the wildlife (except to kill bugs)

Prior to moving to FL 15 years ago, I did a lot of reading on snakes and alligators. I stay alert to my surroundings. I've lived in TX, SC, Guantanamo Bay and FL and basically try to remember to be aware and not take the environment for granted. Even on a college campus, there can be snakes (College Station). Even on a military base there can be alligators (Charleston housing) or snakes (Corpus Christi NAS/Guantanamo Bay). The owner of the property does not dictate to Mother Nature.

I have seen an alligator in the water in Magic Kingdom. Fact is, they're everywhere & as long as you follow the direction of posted signs & CMs you should be totally fine. Not blaming the family at all when I say this, but for the life of me I can't understand people not listening & obeying posted rules. No swimming means no swimming. I don't need to be told the reason & decide for myself whether or not I feel it's necessary to follow the rules. Just obey the rules.

When my mom worked in a hospital in Port St Lucie, FL they had a big fountain outside of the hospital & it housed a "resident gater"- a big one!! Animal Control would come & get him and he'd come right back. No matter what they did, he came back. He never harmed anyone. There's only so much you can do to try & keep them away.

I'm heartbroken for this family. I cannot imagine what that moment was like for them and all the other people & children there watching!! Let alone the loss of a child. Heartbreaking.

Many people thought the "no swimming sign" means there is bacteria in the water . Isn't bacteria as equally scary as a man-eating alligator??? I would not let my kids to touch a drop of that dirty lake water with the chances of getting sick during a vacation.

I am so glad someone said it!!! I have been pouring over these threads reading the responses and it seems so many people have different interpretations of what "no swimming" means...some indicate because of wildlife, some because of bacteria, some because of steep drop offs, poisonous snakes, etc...REGARDLESS of what your interpretation is...it is because of something NEGATIVE or HARMFUL, so in that respect, "No swimming" is just as good as KEEP OUT. That's how I've always interpreted it.

That being said, this family is going through something unimaginable and I'm sure they blame themselves already. I'm not going to pile on to that because they have been punished enough. That poor little baby.

The incident with the gator is truly heartbreaking and terrifying. I'm sure there will be new security measures put in place around every body of water on the property as a result of this tragedy. But I also think a good rule of thumb when letting a 2 year old toddler go play in the edge of ANY body of water ANYWHERE is to keep that child between ME and the shore. If he's going to be in the water, I'm going to be between him and the open expanse of water. Especially a body of water with "No Swimming" signs and no lifeguard on duty, at night, in Florida. Ugh...I hate even typing that, because I'm sure that child's poor father is absolutely distraught at all of the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" thoughts going through his head right now. Bless his heart. We make mistakes, we all do. Our judgment lapses and we do careless things. He's not the first, and won't be the last. It's just soo sad. :(

This is one of the kindest responses I have read this morning, could have written it myself. In hindsight, we can all agree letting a toddler paddle in an unknown body of water is not a good idea. But I, myself, have made parenting mistakes that could have been disastrous, but luckily they were not. We were vacationing in CA when my youngest was 6, and took the kids to the beach. Being used to the bathtub that is the Gulf, we were unprepared for the big waves of the Pacific, and allowed her to build sand castles in the damp sand. A huge wave crashed onto the land, grabbed her and pulled her down the beach - it was terrifying, and changed the way we behaved on every beach vacation thereafter.

It has been reported this father attacked the gator, trying in vain to free his son and getting cuts/scrapes in the process; the mother ran into the water, searching for her baby. If these mental images don't tug at your heart, I'm not sure what would. My heart is with them.

I am so glad someone said it!!! I have been pouring over these threads reading the responses and it seems so many people have different interpretations of what "no swimming" means...some indicate because of wildlife, some because of bacteria, some because of steep drop offs, poisonous snakes, etc...REGARDLESS of what your interpretation is...it is because of something NEGATIVE or HARMFUL, so in that respect, "No swimming" is just as good as KEEP OUT. That's how I've always interpreted it.
YES!! When I see a "No Swimming" sign by a body of water, I assume that means I'm to STAY OUT of that water for whatever reason. I mean, just because someone isn't technically "swimming" doesn't mean they aren't exposed to whatever dangers that water might pose.

We need to ramp up our efforts to teach critical thinking skills in the schools. People are just floating through life expecting someone else to think for them and protect them from everything.

Here is my 2 cents.

If you go to Florida you go knowing they have alligators and poisonous snakes.

You should do everything in your power to protect yourself. Swimming or wading in water that is a perfect habitat for alligators is stupid.

Swimming or wading in water that is the perfect habitat for alligators AND where there are warning signs is Asinine.

I feel bad for the family, but this situation could have easily been avoided. You now have a family with a dead 2 year old and parents who ignored all the warnings having to live with their choices.

Last edited:

I was also thinking the same thing. Why is that baby even in that water? That's what I really don't understand even without adding the possibility of a gator.

To me no swimming literally means no swimming- not no wading, not no walking along the water's edge, not no sitting beside the water, etc...

It sounds like the child's feet were in fact in the water so I know many will argue that... But do you think the alligator would have done what he did if the child was just walking close along side the water? How about if the child was sitting close to the water? The current no swimming sign would not mean anything then. There are no other signs on the GF shore other than the "no swimming" signs.

To me no swimming literally means no swimming- not no wading, not no walking along the water's edge, not no sitting beside the water, etc...

It sounds like the child's feet were in fact in the water so I know many will argue that... But do you think the alligator would have done what he did if the child was just walking close along side the water? How about if the child was sitting close to the water? The current no swimming sign would not mean anything then. There are no other signs on the GF shore other than the "no swimming" signs.

To me swimming and wading mean the same because I'm aware of the bacteria. That alone would keep me away from those lakes. I would never wade in that water because of the bacteria and I don't understand why a child is allowed to. I know there is also the possibility of gators and the fact that you don't have to even be in deep water for them to be a threat. I guess some people think Disney is a bubble and there is no way this could happen. I've been to WDW at least 30 times and I would never get close to any of those lakes, not even Bay Lake for both of those reasons. The fact that this has only happened once is part luck and that most people know to keep away. Not all, but most.

Last edited:
To me swimming and wading mean the same because I'm aware of the bacteria. That alone would keep me away from those lakes. I would never wade in that water because of the bacteria and I don't understand why a child is allowed to. I know there is also the possibility of gators and the fact that you don't have to even be in deep water for them to be a threat. I guess some people think Disney is a bubble and there is no way this could happen. I've been to WDW at least 30 times and I would never get close to any of those lakes, not even Bay Lake for both of those reasons. The fact that this has only happened once may be luck and that most people know to keep away. Not all, but most.

Most people are not aware of the bacteria... the bacteria everyone speaks of can be in any warm body of water- specifically lakes in the summer. Are you saying you would never swim or wade in any lake in the summer b/c they all have the potential for the bacteria- whether you are in Florida, Alabama, or up here in IL. There is no increased chance of getting infected in Bay Lake versus any other area.

You know you can rent boats and jet skis in the lake too, right??? There is a good chance you are touching the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter