Gator grabs 2 year old at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is heartbreaking. My condolences to the parents. :(

I always stayed far away from the water, and kept my family away from it, but it was because of the brain eating amoebas (Naegleria fowleri). That was the first reason they banned folks from getting in those waters. I'll be adding gators to the list.

I see that angle...but I'm not sure it really matters. I get it...and i don't at the same time.
If they find evidence of the child on/in one of the gators, they can stop the search and the family can begin dealing with the reality of it.

It's awful, and generally I agree with your position, but in this case I think this is probably for the best.

I don't know about this. They should know the population growth of the gators at Bay Lake. They anticipate guest safety all the time. this can't be the first instance of someone wading in the water and thinking it's not swimming.

I saw that gator near splash mountain about a year ago. It was dark. First time I ever saw one at Disney and I was surprised it was so close to everyone on the dock. I have to find those photos.

They've always been there. Just like there are snakes in the backyard at all times. Maybe not the perfect analogy...but at its core still fundamentally correct.

People do overestimate what Disney can and is willing to do...

So they had this and the nightclub shooting link hatch at the same time...

Does that mean gator patrols 24/7 and undercover ex marines walking Disney springs (paramilitary types) from now on?

Think they are gonna pay for that? No...no way...not for the talent, the benefits, or the training. It's a business...one where they are only interested in sucking profit out these days. It's not gonna happen. The dust will settle and they'll resume price increase and staff reductions.

I don't Invent the rules...but I know them.

If they find evidence of the child on/in one of the gators, they can stop the search and the family can begin dealing with the reality of it.

It's awful, and generally I agree with your position, but in this case I think this is probably for the best.

Very reasonable stance. I can see calling it a tragic accident and random violence of nature as well.

Not really advocating one or the other strongly. There's validity in both.

No question that a ton of gator grabs are going on now and will continue.

That may be impossible if the child was actually eaten? Not trying to be callous, but realistic.

Well...there is the possibility to find evidence...but that seems to be a dark and ugly path as well.

I hope they find him in short order and end the activity ASAP. It's best for everyone.

And then think about how to seal people off from the lagoons...at least at night.

It's time...have to find the lowest common denominator.

When the sheriff said "maybe a foot
Into the water...wading"...

That ended the discussion before it began.

T
That may be impossible if the child was actually eaten? Not trying to be callous, but realistic.
They may still be able to find remains depending if They explore the killed Alligators. I know it sounds terrible but the parents do need closure.

I just looked up the statistics on alligator fatalities in FL. From 1948 to April 2016 there have been 23 fatalities. As much as we humans like to assign blame, in reality this is just a terrible, terrible event, and my heart aches for this family. Their little child was doing something that I'm sure hundreds of other toddlers have done on countless nights at that resort. I choose to believe Disney goes to great lengths to keep their guests safe, but nature is unpredictable and sadly, out of our control. The parents were right there with her. It's hard to imagine anything else could have been done.

Source: http://myfwc.com/media/310203/Alligator-GatorBites.pdf

It may matter more to you if it was your child. I just pray for that family! Such a horrible thing to happen!!

That's a textbook answer...but it is incorrect.

I would want them to keep
Searching until the efforts are exhausted...I wouldn't want a "clean sweep" of the animals in the area.

Perhaps I would want them to find the animal to study it...maybe implement radio tracking as part of their control program...but not for the purposes of the funeral home.

It's awful and the psychological scars aren't going away for those people. What really does it matter at this point.

I just looked up the statistics on alligator fatalities in FL. From 1948 to April 2016 there have been 23 fatalities. As much as we humans like to assign blame, in reality this is just a terrible, terrible event, and my heart aches for this family. Their little child was doing something that I'm sure hundreds of other toddlers have done on countless nights at that resort. I choose to believe Disney goes to great lengths to keep their guests safe, but nature is unpredictable and sadly, out of our control. The parents were right there with her. It's hard to imagine anything else could have been done.

Thank you...you eloquently made my point.

I'm not really trying to take a side here...or be the heavy...I just think when the shock wears off that reasonable expectations of nature and Disney will prevail.

Not fake, I assure you. My daughter and I along with several others spotted it near the bridge in front of Splash Mountain. The boardwalk along the water opposite Tom Sawyer Island is in part of one pic. Gator looks bigger in photo than it was. About 3 ft long.

There was one trapped in MK just last year. He wandered up out of the water, by a food cart, IIRC?

That's a textbook answer...but it is incorrect.

I would want them to keep
Searching until the efforts are exhausted...I wouldn't want a "clean sweep" of the animals in the area.

Perhaps I would want them to find the animal to study it...maybe implement radio tracking as part of their control program...but not for the purposes of the funeral home.

It's awful and the psychological scars aren't going away for those people. What really does it matter at this point.

I would 100% want a clean sweep. A deadly animal like that has no place in WDW. I fully understand they can't control it 100%, but in a case like this - yes, kill them all. It'll at least reduce the risk a bit for another family.

IMO, as much as I love Disney, yes, they could have done more: proper signage warning about gators. Signs warning to stay out of the water completely. Information on how to take proper precautions against alligators (such as "Alligator attacks are most like to occur at water's edge at night", "Please don't feed the alligators"). Disney is fully aware that gators are on their property. And they've done a great job of quietly trying to manage them. Because, after all, the more obvious approach isn't as pretty, and might even be a bit scary, and who wants that?

When we vacationed in NH, we stayed at a great resort - and there were pamphlets in can't-miss 'em area in every room, about bear safety. Not to mention signs on the property. Disney certainly could do the same.

They've always been there. Just like there are snakes in the backyard at all times. Maybe not the perfect analogy...but at its core still fundamentally correct.

People do overestimate what Disney can and is willing to do...

So they had this and the nightclub shooting link hatch at the same time...

Does that mean gator patrols 24/7 and undercover ex marines walking Disney springs (paramilitary types) from now on?

Think they are gonna pay for that? No...no way...not for the talent, the benefits, or the training. It's a business...one where they are only interested in sucking profit out these days. It's not gonna happen. The dust will settle and they'll resume price increase and staff reductions.

I don't Invent the rules...but I know them.

It's not an overestimation to extend a restriction on a sign. "No swimming" doesn't cut it. I don't wade in the water, but that family at the very least should have been better warned.

I
I would 100% want a clean sweep. A deadly animal like that has no place in WDW. I fully understand they can't control it 100%, but in a case like this - yes, kill them all. It'll at least reduce the risk a bit for another family.
Incorrect to you but not to all. Have you lost a child in this manner..... I really do not think anyone can truly say what they would do or want they would want done unless they are in that situation. Sorry quoted the wrong person. I was sneering the same person as you

There was one trapped in MK just last year. He wandered up out of the water, by a food cart, IIRC?

they show up everywhere here in FL.
Here's a big one on a golf course

There are two restaurants here in Jax/Middleburg (Clark's Fish Camp/Whitey's Fish Camp) where you can walk up to the docks and there are always gators swimming around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter