DIS Veteran
Disney has created a Gateway Collection for their Adventures by Disney

Gateway to London and Paris - Aug. 7-13, 2009,

It will include expanded free time
Guests will travel with a slightly larger group no more than 50 Guests

Hotels being offered
Park Plaza County Hall in London
Marriott Rive Gauche in Paris.

Available to book starting Friday, May 1, 2009.

The pilot program is for London / Paris and depending on how popular it will be they will add other locations.

Will not include
Transfers, guide will be at airport to greet guest
No High Tea at Harrods
No west end show
Second class on the Eurostar instead of first class
No biking in Versailles

$2799 -12 and older / $2499 – 11 and younger
No early booking discount - these Gateways will have one price point

Current London Paris prices are $3999 / $ 3599
At regular non early booking discounts
-----------

Looks like Disney is trying to offer more affordable options probably because of all the cancellations they had to do this year.

That sounds like a great trip but it is takes place when most public schools start back for the fall session. Maybe Disney will have similar trips during other times if this initial one proves to be successful. Thank you for the interesting information.

That sounds like a great trip but it is takes place when most public schools start back for the fall session. Maybe Disney will have similar trips during other times if this initial one proves to be successful. Thank you for the interesting information.

Well not really. Most of the Northeast and I am sure other parts of the country go back at the end of August or after Labor day. I do think it is interesting though

In NC, they go back in late August. If it weren't for summer camp, that would actually be a pretty good time for the trip.

But I don't know about "ABD Lite." What makes these trips so great is not having to figure stuff out on your own. IMHO.

In NC, they go back in late August. If it weren't for summer camp, that would actually be a pretty good time for the trip.

But I don't know about "ABD Lite." What makes these trips so great is not having to figure stuff out on your own. IMHO.

When I saw this post I called ABD and asked them about that but they said that from a lot of feedback people are asking for more time on their own. I asked about the show in London and they said since so many people have seen the Lion King or Mary poppins shows already they wanted other options so they are not offering a show on this tour.

Personally I think that ABD is feeling the recession crunch and offering another option for people that cannot afford or aren't willing to pay the premium price. I don't think their regular tours will change but maybe offer something else for others to be able to afford.

I know people love ABD but really how many go back and do over the same one. Maybe a second time but not more than that. When I go back to a place I have been already I would like to do different things.

If it were a tour in the USA I would consider it but NO Transfers in a foreign country is not for me. The thing about ABD for me is the details and not having to arrange things. While some people might like it I don't

I'm all for additions to the ABD program that will help keep it financially afloat, and introduce people to ABD (a pretty good taste of it, really). I do agree that having more, not fewer, details taken care of is the trip for me--one of the many (but significant) aspects of traveling with Disney that keeps us coming back! (So, we'll probably not do the "gateway" trips). The timing is interesting--usually they announce their new trips in August, so perhaps based on bookings for this one (and possible feedback), the late August release for 2010 will include more gateway trips. Still plugging for Japan and Moscow/St. Petersburg trips (and England/Scotland/Wales)!!

I was told that while transfers are not included the guide that will meet each person arriving will help them into a cab or other transportation to get them to their hotel.

It is scary being in a foreign country and getting from point A to B but I have done this many times and normally we arrange for transfers before we arrive and have a car service waiting to take us to the hotel. Some hotels will also arrange for a driver to pick you up, for a free of course. With the internet it is so easy to plan this.

I do think they are doing this for a couple of reasons - to attact more people that cannot afford the higher priced tours - two to have people rebook the same ABD they may have been on but with more time on your rown they can do what they want and not feel that they are repeating everything they already did. The hotels are also not in the center of the cities like the regular ABD's are so they are less expensive. Still 4* hotels

Having done this London/Paris tour 6 months ago, I think this new tour is a great idea. Our London transfer wasn't there when we arrived and we took a cab anyway (and got reimbursed later by AbD) and since we stayed after on our own, we had a private driver arranged to take us to Charles de Gaule when we were done in Paris.

The Harrods High Tea was not near as tasty as the high tea my husband and I did during our free time and this was probably our least favorite outing anyway. In fact, I think they could do away with a few more of the group meals as the food was not good. Anyone wanted to go to the theater district could do this on their own. The biking at Versailles was awesome but honestly, out of our group of 42, less than 20 did it anyway.

The hotel change would be fine as both cities are easy to navigate anyway and transportation was easy.

That only leaves the Eurostar transfer--I really enjoyed those first class seats. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter