Gastroparesis & Autism related restrictive diets: Do better Disney!

Mia22

Earning My Ears
I’ve heard such wonderful things about how Disney handles special diets for those with allergies, special diets due to religious beliefs and those with lifestyle choices such as vegan diets. We love WDW and feel supported by the DAS system in the parks and are grateful that my daughter has reasonable accommodations so that she can enjoy herself.

I’m surprised and disappointed in the response to disability-related dietary needs.

Selective or restrictive eating is the most common eating challenge faced by autistic people and disability-related digestion issues such as gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying), that requires eating smaller portions could be easily accommodated. They could accommodate by allowing a small to-go box at an all you care to enjoy or buffet meal, allow a guest to select a kids item or if feeling generous, could allow for a 1/2 portion and price accordingly.

Instead, families like mine are left to make reservations months in advance without knowing if the manager will take mercy on us and make reasonable accommodations to adult meals.

I can’t sit and eat a meal in front of my hungry daughter while she eats bread and water.

When I reached out to the special diets team about my daughter’s diagnosed gastroparesis & restrictive palate due to autism, they responded by informing me that kid’s meals are designed for a child 3-9. Ouch!

I have a young adult and I know a kid’s meal wasn’t designed with her in mind. She can’t ingest an adult sized meal and has to eat small meals frequently. It sounds like Disney’s view is that we would somehow be cheating the system to order a kid’s meal or take her fare share in a to-go box at a restaurant like O’hana.

I would love to see Disney allow guests with such disabilities to make dietary requests (and have reasonable requests granted) in advance, so we don’t need to haggle with busy restaurant managers who may confuse us with simply having an overgrown “picky eater” or someone who is trying to cheat the system and save money by requesting a kid’s meal.

I sincerely wish Disney will do more to support autistic people with eating difficulties and those with severe digestive conditions in the future. After all, inclusion is one of the five keys, is it not?

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out. I really hope that a reasonable positive change will be made in this regard.

AYCTE restaurants’ pricing model is based on what the business projects is on-premise consumption. Allowing to go boxes alters that fundamental model. Not to mention that if you opened the door, you’d have people wanting adjustments because they are allergic to an item and demand a reduction in price because it’s on the menu. Either one is a fundamental alteration of the business model. Restaurants like the Whispering Canyon provide a hybrid, but, again, that’s the business model they use.

Disney is not denying you access to the restaurant. You just don’t like the charges.

I just don’t choose to go to buffet, or all-you-care-to-eat, or even price fix meals with my now adult kids with such issues. I have never expected Disney to cater to every possible food restriction or preference. I have two kids with complete different food needs, so it is sometimes difficult to find a place that works for them both.

We only go to table service restaurants that allow the choices we need. We have never had s sit down restaurant refuse to allow my child with autism to order a child menu item. Although sometimes she is given and charged for an “adult” portion. She usually just takes any leftovers with her to snack on later. We also share entrees and/or order just appetizers to share. In the last few years, we have found that counter service restaurants better fit out needs, and we have no problem ordering form more than one location for one meal and purchasing kids meals for adults.

I guess I have always expected us to be more flexible that any particular restaurant.

Last edited:
One of my issues with Disney is that I cannot enjoy most/all of the new attractions. I cannot easily transfer from my wheelchair, and I can’t sit down on a chair most of the time.

As such, should I (and others in similar circumstance) get a 95% discount on tickets, since I am limited to the Jungle Cruise, Buzz, Dumbo,,Carousel of Progress, and the carpets as the only moving attractions that can accommodate my chair?

I can attend shows, but the Mountains, the haunted house, and most other things are useless to me, save for their magnet effect on other park guests.

Last edited:
Are you having a bad day SteveMouse? Why respond so rudely? By the way, we wouldn’t request a to-go box in WDW, although I thought it would be a reasonable accommodation for a guest like my daughter. Why would your impulse be to respond to me as if I’m some sort of grifter? I’m not some cheapskate looking for a freebie. I don’t want a handout. I just hoped Disney would include autism related restrictive diets or medically restrictive diets to the mix as they seem to do such a good job with allergies and such.
I can’t imagine what I said to deserve such a rude response.

No rudeness intended. I am simply presenting information about why what you suggest isn’t reasonable from the operator’s perspective. I did not suggest that you had any malicious intent, just the complexities that limit your suggestion‘s resonableness.

I might add that while I would like Disney to discount my ticket, or go back to the A,B,C,D, and key ticketing from the 1970s as that would better suit my current needs, I don’t really expect Disney to make that adjustment. It’s not reasonable, given the current admissions model in use.

I never said they should serve a full adult sized meal at half price.

Last edited:

I never said they should serve a full adult sized meal at half price. My kid has mobility & sensory issues and I’m not demanding they lower the lights or push her chair around. Why are you so rude?
And I didn’t imply you did. You did state “allow a guest to select a kids item or if feeling generous, could allow for a 1/2 portion and price accordingly.”

Altering the menu and pricing affects the business operations. You are more than welcome to not finish the food on your plate. Aside from the 50’s cafe, Disney staff would not admonish you for not cleaning your plate. You do want a discount for eating less, and that’s not within the business plan for table service restaurants.

Building an economically and practically efficient restaurant menu is actually pretty complex, especially in high-volume restaurants.

I never said they should serve a full adult sized meal at half price. My kid has mobility & sensory issues and I’m not demanding they lower the lights or push her chair around. Why are you so rude?
Just because you don't like what @SteveMouse is saying doesn't mean he's being rude.

I'm sorry you're frustrated. My DD23 doesn't have medical related menu needs, but she is a vegetarian. When she was younger she also ate like a freaking bird. Back then, I didn't take her to AYCE restaurants and I made sure that there was always something she was able to eat at other restaurants even if it was on the kids menu. Most of the time she was able to order from the kids menu but every once in a while they would insist on serving her an adult portion which would, of course, go mostly uneaten. I feel you.

Unfortunately, AYCE restaurants are not flexible when it comes to pricing or doggie bags. The good news is that most non-AYCE restaurants allow anyone to order off the kids menu. Some don't (back then, I found the ones that were not owned by Disney were more likely to say "no") but all you can do is shrug and make note not to return to that restaurant. I know that speaking to a manager is a PITB, but it's really your only option. Perhaps you can have a note put on your reservation so the hostess has a head's up?

Meals at WDW are not just able the food but the theming, entertainment and 'fun'.
The guest has to weigh the cost vs the experience/enjoyment for their family.
You know the price before you book.
My mother eats very little due to her age. We have to pay the same price as others but it worth it for her to be with family.

And I didn’t imply you did. You did state “allow a guest to select a kids item or if feeling generous, could allow for a 1/2 portion and price accordingly.”

Altering the menu and pricing affects the business operations. You are more than welcome to not finish the food on your plate. Aside from the 50’s cafe, Disney staff would not admonish you for not cleaning your plate. You do want a discount for eating less, and that’s not within the business plan for table service restaurants.

Building an economically and practically efficient restaurant menu is actually pretty complex, especially in high-volume restaurants.
I do NOT want a discount for simply eating less. We are lucky she’s not on a feeding tube. She is medically complex and eats TODDLER sized meals. She vomits 24/7 and is on home tutoring due to her illness. She is puking as I write this! If they won’t allow us to order a kids meal, I have every right to express my disappointment and should be able to without dealing with negativity.

Last edited:
I do NOT want a discount for simply eating less. We are lucky she’s not on a feeding tube. She is medically complex and eats TODDLER sized meals. She vomits 24/7 and is on home tutoring due to her illness. She is puking as I write this! If they won’t allow us to order a kids meal, I have every right to express my disappointment and should be able to without dealing with your snarky ***.
Now that is a little rude. If you are not interested in hearing what others have to say, you shouldn't post.

I do NOT want a discount for simply eating less. We are lucky she’s not on a feeding tube. She is medically complex and eats TODDLER sized meals. She vomits 24/7 and is on home tutoring due to her illness. She is puking as I write this! If they won’t allow us to order a kids meal, I have every right to express my disappointment and should be able to without dealing with negativity.
Also it is okay to disagree with my opinion. The comments about wanting discounts and his sarcasm about his accessibility issues doesn’t compel him to seek refunds. Just mean

You have every right to post on a forum. You do not then get to dictate how people respond. Literally not up to you.

It seems this is a sensitive issue for you. Makes sense. But you’re not obligated to eat in these restaurants. Or any restaurant really. Disney makes it pretty easy to bring in your own food. If it doesn’t meet the needs of your family, an AYCTE restaurant seems like a waste of money, at least to me. As someone with dietary considerations due to a chronic condition, I understand the concern behind your post but not the implication that this is Disney’s problem to solve. If a restaurant doesn’t work for my dietary needs, I don’t eat there.

Nice to see you edited this post, good decision.

I’m sitting here in tears. I posted in a disability form hoping to get some support from a community who can understand where I’m coming from. It is okay to disagree with my feelings about feeding issues and TS dining, but when I felt that someone was insinuating I was trying to unfairly take advantage, it hurts. When the poster said that it is like them Disney for 95% off a park ticket due to their mobility issues. I felt attacked, not supported. Feeling supported doesn’t mean I expect people to just agree. It means. I hear you. It must be hard, but it isn’t going to change because it isn’t plausible.

I’ve heard such wonderful things about how Disney handles special diets for those with allergies, special diets due to religious beliefs and those with lifestyle choices such as vegan diets. We love WDW and feel supported by the DAS system in the parks and are grateful that my daughter has reasonable accommodations so that she can enjoy herself.

I’m surprised and disappointed in the response to disability-related dietary needs.

Selective or restrictive eating is the most common eating challenge faced by autistic people and disability-related digestion issues such as gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying), that requires eating smaller portions could be easily accommodated. They could accommodate by allowing a small to-go box at an all you care to enjoy or buffet meal, allow a guest to select a kids item or if feeling generous, could allow for a 1/2 portion and price accordingly.

Instead, families like mine are left to make reservations months in advance without knowing if the manager will take mercy on us and make reasonable accommodations to adult meals.

I can’t sit and eat a meal in front of my hungry daughter while she eats bread and water.

When I reached out to the special diets team about my daughter’s diagnosed gastroparesis & restrictive palate due to autism, they responded by informing me that kid’s meals are designed for a child 3-9. Ouch!

I have a young adult and I know a kid’s meal wasn’t designed with her in mind. She can’t ingest an adult sized meal and has to eat small meals frequently. It sounds like Disney’s view is that we would somehow be cheating the system to order a kid’s meal or take her fare share in a to-go box at a restaurant like O’hana.

I would love to see Disney allow guests with such disabilities to make dietary requests (and have reasonable requests granted) in advance, so we don’t need to haggle with busy restaurant managers who may confuse us with simply having an overgrown “picky eater” or someone who is trying to cheat the system and save money by requesting a kid’s meal.

I sincerely wish Disney will do more to support autistic people with eating difficulties and those with severe digestive conditions in the future. After all, inclusion is one of the five keys, is it not?

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out. I really hope that a reasonable positive change will be made in this regard.
I agree with you!! I think this accommodation should be provided to your family and any other autistic family that needs it. I also think families that are not autistic or not officially autistic should be given the accommodation. It would not only benefit disabled and neurodivergent people but also prevent food waste.

I could see it only being a challenge at all-you-can-eat-situations. Then I wouldn't blame Disney for being suspicious/skeptical. It would be easy for someone to pretend they want to eat small amounts and then pile up their plate. It would be hard to police this. At the same time, I would feel bad for autistic families having to miss out on character meals and those kind of dining experiences. Maybe a solution could be having autistic-dining times for character meals. Low lighting, less commotion, plated meals (for everyone) instead of all-you-can-eat. Maybe a couple of times a week?

The small to-go box at the buffet also sounds like a reasonable request. Maybe the size of the little cupcake containers? It might actually reduce vomiting in ALL people if this was allowed. My only concern (and maybe Disney's) is people taking perishable food around the park in warm weather, eating it three hours later and getting food poisoning. So...maybe limit it to non-perishable stuff only. I'm not sure how to regulate. Maybe there can be a special section of the buffet with crackers, cookies, dried fruit, etc. And each person is offered one container before they check out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter