Gastric Bypass Surgery, anybody with experience?

Thanks Winnie!

So I was thinking of getting a weight loss ticker (and for the first time it won't languish at 7 lbs lost!)

I am done and on the mend...not quite into feeling like I want to do research for our next trip yet, lol, but not opposed either. Uneventful surgery and a hopefully uneventful recovery...thanks for all of your good wishes!:goodvibes

Hi Winnie, I lost track of this thread for a while so I didn't realize you already had this surgery. Best of luck with your recovery.
:grouphug:

2 weeks ago today I was hitting the morphine pump, lol. As of today, I am down 20 pounds since surgery!:banana: Went back to work PT today and am tired tonight. Not sure if I will go in tomorrow or not. I think I will see what tomorrow brings. Next week I am doing 4 a little over half days...I so want a piece of chicken, lol!!

I believe anonymousegirl was done yesterday...sending lots of pixie dust out to you for a speedy recovery!:goodvibes

2 weeks ago today I was hitting the morphine pump, lol. As of today, I am down 20 pounds since surgery!:banana: Went back to work PT today and am tired tonight. Not sure if I will go in tomorrow or not. I think I will see what tomorrow brings. Next week I am doing 4 a little over half days...I so want a piece of chicken, lol!!

I believe anonymousegirl was done yesterday...sending lots of pixie dust out to you for a speedy recovery!:goodvibes

Congrats on your weight loss. Just keep doing the right things and you will be fine. I'm cheering for you :cheer2:

Just home from hospital. Surgery went fine. I have some incision pain and lots of bloating from the gas used to infalte abdomen. Otherwise okay. Going to take a percocet and hit the recliner (bed's not working for me as it stretches the incisons.
Thanks for all the well wishes.

Congrats Winnie and Anonymouse on your surgeries. It is a long road and alot of mental stuggles Im glad to hear both surgeries were basically uneventful. Stay positive, do what the doctor tells you and save a few percosets and or vicodins for me. I can use some still but my doc has cut me off..

Congrats Winnie and Anonymouse on your surgeries. It is a long road and alot of mental stuggles Im glad to hear both surgeries were basically uneventful. Stay positive, do what the doctor tells you and save a few percosets and or vicodins for me. I can use some still but my doc has cut me off..

Hi Jeff, thanks for the chuckle. So how are you doing. If I recall right, you are going to Disney right around the time I am (19 through the 29). I'm having a hard time with switching over my diet from can eats to healthy to eat and I am in a transition now to the healthy eating phase. When I say can eat I don't mean chocolate and donuts, just that it's now time to switch from Mac & Cheese to salads and quinoa. Its quite a process. I hope you are doing well and let me know when you will be in the World.

a week out from surgery and 18 lbs down for a total of 40 lbs lost. Having some trouble still with getting all my water and protein. Afraid to put a bra or panties on (sorry TMI) b/c of the incison locations.
Lookign forward to my support group meeting tomorrow night.

a week out from surgery and 18 lbs down for a total of 40 lbs lost. Having some trouble still with getting all my water and protein. Afraid to put a bra or panties on (sorry TMI) b/c of the incison locations.
Lookign forward to my support group meeting tomorrow night.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I haven't been to a meeting, but September might be just the right time to attend one.

I love my meetings! I have been attending since January and haven't missed one yet. They have been very helpful and super supportive. We have varying attendence and summers are usually light, but still good. We often have guest speakers (doctors, nutritionalists) but sometimes we just get together to moan about whatever is bugging us.
Tonight will be my first time out since surgery. Have no idea if my clothes still fit (been wearing very loose sundresses at home)

New girl here, just had rny surgery July 14th and have a trip planned for October. Kinda worried about what i can eat while there. we decided to stay off site so we will have a kitchen and can pack lunches

Welcome to all the newbies. I haven't been posting for a few months, it seems like. Today marks my 1 year surgery birthday. Since surgery, I am 123 lbs down and 153 lbs down total. I still cannot belive it.
2 weeks ago, I woke up in some pain. I gave it a day and called my doc the next day, a Friday. He thinks I have an ulcer and I need to have an EGD next week. I'm nervous as the last time I was scoped was 130ish lbs ago and I had a rough time, getting sick that night.

Hello fellow GBS Mickey lovers! I have a question, I will be heading to the world 12 weeks post-op and I was hoping for any tips. We are doing some meals with the kids and I know to keep hydrated...but anything else that would be great info.?

Welcome to all the newbies. Today marks my 1 year surgery birthday. Since surgery, I am 123 lbs down and 153 lbs down total. I still cannot belive it. 2 weeks ago, I woke up in some pain. I gave it a day and called my doc the next day, a Friday. He thinks I have an ulcer and I need to have an EGD next week. I'm nervous as the last time I was scoped was 130ish lbs ago and I had a rough time, getting sick that night.

Heather Congratulations on the weight loss. Good luck with the test, I hope things work out well for you.

New girl here, just had rny surgery July 14th and have a trip planned for October. Kinda worried about what i can eat while there. we decided to stay off site so we will have a kitchen and can pack lunches

Hello fellow GBS Mickey lovers! I have a question, I will be heading to the world 12 weeks post-op and I was hoping for any tips. We are doing some meals with the kids and I know to keep hydrated...but anything else that would be great info.?

Geniegirl, since everyone's body is different, I'm not sure what I will tell you will help. Generally staying hydrated and taking my supplements was the most critical for me initially, then came trying to eat enough protein. I tried not to eat new foods in a public place, and I still have to be careful to eat slowly. I had my surgery Feb 3, 2011. I am down 59 lbs with more to go.

Reasha - as I posted above, what I learned is that everyone's body and digestive system processes food differently, so the one tip I would share with you is to eat slowly, and only try new foods in private. Good luck with your surgery!

Geniegirl, since everyone's body is different, I'm not sure what I will tell you will help. Generally staying hydrated and taking my supplements was the most critical for me initially, then came trying to eat enough protein. I tried not to eat new foods in a public place, and I still have to be careful to eat slowly. I had my surgery Feb 3, 2011. I am down 59 lbs with more to go.

Reasha - as I posted above, what I learned is that everyone's body and digestive system processes food differently, so the one tip I would share with you is to eat slowly, and only try new foods in private. Good luck with your surgery!

Thank you! I had my surgery on July 11, and I am taking it slow, but feeling great. I have definitely learned about the differences with everyone's systems.

I just got back from Disney on Sunday. Let me tell you, I was worried about everything b/c of being a little over a year out and not sure how I would be able to tollerate foods. I was worried for nothing. We ate dinner at Mama Melrose one night. They gave me grilled chicken with veggies. I did say I had a food allergy and then I explained about the bypass to the chef.
I even lost weight (and I will admit...I snacked on popcorn. NOT a good choice).
Good luck to everyone that's going.

I just got back from Disney on Sunday. Let me tell you, I was worried about everything b/c of being a little over a year out and not sure how I would be able to tollerate foods. I was worried for nothing. We ate dinner at Mama Melrose one night. They gave me grilled chicken with veggies. I did say I had a food allergy and then I explained about the bypass to the chef.
I even lost weight (and I will admit...I snacked on popcorn. NOT a good choice).
Good luck to everyone that's going.

Great to hear! I am heading to the World next Saturday (solo) and had the vertical sleeve done 2 months ago. I am having no trouble with food whatsoever. I do know I have to stay away from the popcorn! It will be weird watching Wishes without a box of it!
Just placed a Garden Grocer order, and thought I might not get to the minimum $40 order, but got some fat free lunch meat, bottled water, and protein bars, plus one or two laundry items and hit $44 no problem.
I am so glad I did the surgery. 50 lbs down and feeling great!

Hi I had my gastric bypass May 2006. I have had 3 trips to Disney since then. I try to make the same choices I would it I was home. If I think I need a treat I just take a taste form Dh or the kids. Bottom line I worked hard to lose the 200 Lb I lost. I enjoy Disney so much better smaller so I don't want to blow it. Take crystal light packets with you. Lots of water and Ice and make good food choices. You don't want to throw up at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter