Gastric Bypass Surgery, anybody with experience?

Hi all!!

This thread has stayed alive for quite some time since I started it. Sorry that I have been disconnected for a while. But my trip is coming up (Oct 11th- Oct 23rd) and I wanted to reconnect with all of you. I know a few of you will be there in Oct. Please if you read this Post a reply with you travel dates. I would love to pick a day, time and location where we can meet and just say Hi and maybe choke down a few donuts together!! Just kidding maybe funnle cakes! Thats a good idea we canmeet in Epcot at the American Pavilion. (Funnle cakes minutes away!!) HaHa! But if some of you dont feel comfortable meeting strangers that is fine too. But it would be great to meet and just say hi. Im sure all of us will be with our friends and family. I will be with my wife of 22yrs and actually we will be celebrating our 22nd Anniversary while there on the 21st. Also withus will be my 2 kids 16 & 19 and my wifes parents.

As far as an update goes I am now 6 month out Sept 28th. I am at 350lbs exactly. I started in December of 2010 at 495lbs. It was then when I made the decision to do something and started seeing a nutritionist. So before the operation I had lost about 18lbs and since it has been coming off very nice. 145lbs total sofar. Hpefully by the time I go to Florida I will be past the 150lb loss mark.
My Cholestral and A1C(for diabeticss) has greatly improved as well. Before the surgery my cholesteral as 222 and my doc wanted to put me on a pill. In July we checked it and it was already down to 177 and last week I had all my blood work done again and it was a remarkable 157. My doc was so happy as I was too.

My A1C as at about 7.8 before surgery. For anybody who doesnt know that is a 3 month average of your blood sugar count. in June I finally broke the 7 mark and was 6.8. In July I wnt down a bit more to 6.7 and in August all the way down to 6.3. Then last week with my blood work my A1C was at 6.1. Again my doc was giving me High 5's. I feel great and cannot wait to get the florida.
Please reply with your own updates and please post your travel dates so maybe a few of us may be there at the same time and can get together for a handshake and hello!
Good Luck to all!!
Jeff

Hi all!!

This thread has stayed alive for quite some time since I started it. Sorry that I have been disconnected for a while. But my trip is coming up (Oct 11Th- Oct 23rd) and I wanted to reconnect with all of you. I know a few of you will be there in Oct. Please if you read this Post a reply with you travel dates. I would love to pick a day, time and location where we can meet and just say Hi and maybe choke down a few donuts together!! Just kidding maybe funnel cakes! That's a good idea we can meet in Epcot at the American Pavilion. (Funnel cakes minutes away!!) Ha Ha! But if some of you don't feel comfortable meeting strangers that is fine too. But it would be great to meet and just say hi. I'm sure all of us will be with our friends and family. I will be with my wife of 22yrs and actually we will be celebrating our 22ND Anniversary while there on the 21st. Also with us will be my 2 kids 16 & 19 and my wife's parents.

As far as an update goes I am now 6 month out Sept 28Th. I am at 350lbs exactly. I started in December of 2010 at 495lbs. It was then when I made the decision to do something and started seeing a nutritionist. So before the operation I had lost about 18lbs and since it has been coming off very nice. 145lbs total so far. Hopefully by the time I go to Florida I will be past the 150lb loss mark.
My Cholesterol and A1C(for diabetics) has greatly improved as well. Before the surgery my cholesterol as 222 and my doc wanted to put me on a pill. In July we checked it and it was already down to 177 and last week I had all my blood work done again and it was a remarkable 157. My doc was so happy as I was too.

My A1C as at about 7.8 before surgery. For anybody who doesn't know that is a 3 month average of your blood sugar count. in June I finally broke the 7 mark and was 6.8. In July I went down a bit more to 6.7 and in August all the way down to 6.3. Then last week with my blood work my A1C was at 6.1. Again my doc was giving me High 5's. I feel great and cannot wait to get the Florida.
Please reply with your own updates and please post your travel dates so maybe a few of us may be there at the same time and can get together for a handshake and hello!
Good Luck to all!!
Jeff

Great for you . Keep up the hard work . I am five years out . It still hard work and you have to keep on track and make good choices but feeling better and never wanting to go back helps.

Just came across this thread and LOVE IT !!!

I am right now waiting for that phone call with my surgery date, and have our next trip booked for sept 2012. And i was really scared about eatting while we are there, but from reading this i feel GREAT!!! I am sure i will be able to find something good for me to eat any where we go! ..... the only thing i think might kill me is not eating those AMAZING deserts that disney is known for :scared1:

But i really wanted to thank you guys for making me feel so much better about our up coming trip. AND I CANT WAIT TO BE ON THE LOSERS BENCH !!!!!:cool1:

I will be 10 months post op when we travel to the world in 3 weeks (yeah)!
When I was considering having surgery a few years ago I had a hard time thinking about what I couldn't eat any more and a lot on my mental list was stuff at Disney. Thankfully that was a clue to me that I wasn't mentally ready for surgery.
Now 125 lbs down I am more excited than ever to visit Disney thin, fly on a plane thin and not sweat my butt off in the heat and humidity.
Good luck to those waiting surgery and congrats to those that are post op.
I love my new life!

Sarah:cool1:

At the World now and 50lbs down. Really notice the difference! I voluntarily and happily WALKED from Hollywood Studios to EPCOT yesterday! No need for my inhaler, or frequent sit downs! Having a little problem with getting enough protein but taking my supplements and drinking plenty of water. Having a great time!

At the World now and 50lbs down. Really notice the difference! I voluntarily and happily WALKED from Hollywood Studios to EPCOT yesterday! No need for my inhaler, or frequent sit downs! Having a little problem with getting enough protein but taking my supplements and drinking plenty of water. Having a great time!

Have you tried super whey protein shots 26 g of protein they are not the best tasting but you get a 26 in one serving.

Hi Anonymouse, I found my experience to be wonderful in WDW last week, which is 7 months post surgery. Loved all the extra energy I had, walked up and down the stairs at POFQ easily as well as through the parks, even though it was extremely hot just sitting. It certainly feels great to have this new lease on life.

Hi all! Just found this thread. I had the Sleeve done on 8/23 with a repair on 8/24 and am heading to Epcot for my first post-surgery trip on 10/17 just for the day. It's Food & Wine and I've looked at some of the kiosk menus and think I'll be ok getting my proteins in. And thanks for all the reminders about staying hydrated. I was just wondering if any of you had to get a Guest Assistance Pass or even if they have one for Bariatric patients?

Hi all! Just found this thread. I had the Sleeve done on 8/23 with a repair on 8/24 and am heading to Epcot for my first post-surgery trip on 10/17 just for the day. It's Food & Wine and I've looked at some of the kiosk menus and think I'll be ok getting my proteins in. And thanks for all the reminders about staying hydrated. I was just wondering if any of you had to get a Guest Assistance Pass or even if they have one for Bariatric patients?

Congrats on the sleeve! Concerning the GAC, what accommodation do you need it to do? If it is stamina or mobility related, then no, there is no GAC. If you cannot do stairs, then there is a GAC so you can avoid stairs. Otherwise, just avoid the buffets, stay hydrated, take your supplements, and get your protein. I recommend the beef skewer at Argentina, not too big, with excellent flavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter