Galaxy's Edge, will they really serve alcohol?

I have seen it. Twice. Over at DCA. I can't tell you how much they drunk or their ability to hold their liquor. What I do know is that a gal, who was swinging pretty high with her crew of ladies, threw up on Soarin', so they had to take a train down while they cleaned it up. The other place I saw it was right outside Cove Bar where some dude was laughing in his drunken state and then bent over the edge and threw up in the water. Glad my kids got to see that.

I haven't been to DLR hundreds of times. But I've been there enough to see what happens when people drink too much. I just don't see a reason to introduce it more widely....except for Disney to cash in. I guess it'll be worth it if ticket prices can stay lower because of the profit margin Disney makes on alcohol, but we all know that's not going to happen.

I just feel like, there are SO MANY places to buy alcohol already at DLR. Adding it into Disneyland isn't going to make a difference at ALL. Those drunk people you have encountered could just as easily walk into Disneyland vs. DCA and go nuts in there. It's not like Disneyland has a magical fence to keep out all the people at the resort who have had alcohol.

I just feel like, there are SO MANY places to buy alcohol already at DLR. Adding it into Disneyland isn't going to make a difference at ALL. Those drunk people you have encountered could just as easily walk into Disneyland vs. DCA and go nuts in there. It's not like Disneyland has a magical fence to keep out all the people at the resort who have had alcohol.

Not trying to be a pest about this, cause you and I are friends. But....Disneyland doesn't sell chewing gum in the parks. Why? Because they don't want sticky gum all over the streets and sidewalks, constantly cleaning it up, making the place look run down. Now, anyone can bring in gum. My wife does all the time. But Disney is discouraging a behavior that could make the parks look less tidy by not selling it. That's all I'm saying about selling alcohol on a greater level than just Club 33. If Disney encourages the sell and purchase of it, they're allowing the parks to become less tidy. That's all I'm trying to say. And I'll stop right here.

False equivalence. Someone got drunk at a hotel bar and did something incredibly dangerous, so alcohol should be banned everywhere?
Not equating a hotel to a theme park. It would be FAR worse if it happened in a theme park and some drunk idiot decides to yell “fire” or shooter or whatever and create hysteria and panic. It happens, people do get drunk at Disney, and they do stupid crap, even if it doesn’t make the news every day. Several people commented that they’ve never seen anyone drunk at Disney. Well there ya go.

All I am saying is at Blue Bayou - wouldn't it make sense to serve wine? I am not suggesting that people line up to do belly shots on main street in front of children - this is a country where you can buy guns easier than some types of cold medication so I guess I just find it confusing what the big deal would be to have a beer or a glass of wine - so say keep it to that only - no liquor - things can be managed.

I have a hard time believing it would be a real issue. You can buy alcohol pretty much everywhere at WDW. Actually when you tell people you're going to Epcot the first thing they ask is whether you're going to (do something that amounts to having eleven cocktails in a period of a few hours) and still I never even saw someone who was obviously intoxicated let alone someone whose alcohol consumption made them a problem.

I have a hard time believing it would be a real issue. You can buy alcohol pretty much everywhere at WDW. Actually when you tell people you're going to Epcot the first thing they ask is whether you're going to (do something that amounts to having eleven cocktails in a period of a few hours) and still I never even saw someone who was obviously intoxicated let alone someone whose alcohol consumption made them a problem.
I think you know this, but for others here it is called "drinking around the world". It's purpose is of course not intoxication but to have a drink at each Country Pavilion (at least the ones that serve alcohol which is most or maybe all). I have been to Epcot on 10-12 days in total so am no expert, but I have never seen anyone drunk there or anywhere at WDW.

Back to the OP, I think DL the park (and MK at WDW) both have a tradition of no alcohol. It has probably been said earlier in this thread, but Walt Disney enjoyed alcohol and socializing with alcohol. Which is partly why he started Club 33 although I believe it was not opened until after his passing. Regardless, alcohol at amusement parks had an association back in Walt's day of a negative, non-family place. He wanted DL to be different, family oriented, and clean. MK took that same approach which I think was a good idea.

Keeping DL and MK alcohol free except for Club 33 is a tradition that I support. However, SWGE (the subject of this thread) will be at DHS park in Florida, not MK. DHS serves alcohol like all the parks do at WDW save MK. So if Disney is going to make SWGE at DLR and WDW the same or nearly so, with themed dining establishments as they have discussed, that does create a disconnect. I can see why Disney may want to have alcohol at DL's SWGE. I am not sure where I land on this one and frankly would be fine either way. I would lean towards having alcohol at DL SWGE to keep it in sync with Florida, but limit it to SWGE and nowhere else at DL.

As @slpeters says, it really is not any huge issue at WDW and I doubt it would be at DL either.

:wizard:

Not equating a hotel to a theme park. It would be FAR worse if it happened in a theme park and some drunk idiot decides to yell “fire” or shooter or whatever and create hysteria and panic. It happens, people do get drunk at Disney, and they do stupid crap, even if it doesn’t make the news every day. Several people commented that they’ve never seen anyone drunk at Disney. Well there ya go.

OK, but how long have the other parks served alcohol? Decades. How many times has a situation like the one you've described happened?

If we're going down this path, might as well ban alcohol everywhere since something could maybe happen.

I’ve encountered 3 sloppily drunk people before in DCA. All 3 times it in line for GotG. It was the kind of behavior one encounters in a women’s restroom on a night out (You are SO pretty! WOW I like your HAIR omg I’m so drunk I’m sorry. Sorry, sorry hehe)—aka not really bothersome, a little endearing, but very obvious that they were completely sloshed. 2 times it included the women physically touching me (going in for hugs, repeatedly grabbing my arm to tell me something, grabbing at my bag while talking about it, etc.). Now, I don’t drink very often and when I do it’s one or two drinks and I’m done—so I’m used to “playing mom” to my friends. So I wasn’t overly annoyed by the sloppy chattiness but the drunk touching was a little much. Just sharing to say drunk people in the parks definitely happens lol.

I think the atmosphere of DCA is a bit more accepting of this type of social drinking, especially with quick service alcohol. Yes, people bring in their own alcohol all the time and will continue to do so. Yes, people can just get drunk in DCA and walk on over to Disneyland… but the overall atmosphere of DL is different than DCA. I want to say classy vs casual. Maybe classy isn’t the right word but my point is, I would be receptive to a few of the sit down restaurants getting limited alcoholic beverage options that make sense with the dining theme but I wouldn’t want to see quick service alcohol in DL.

I think you know this, but for others here it is called "drinking around the world". It's purpose is of course not intoxication but to have a drink at each Country Pavilion (at least the ones that serve alcohol which is most or maybe all). I have been to Epcot on 10-12 days in total so am no expert, but I have never seen anyone drunk there or anywhere at WDW.

Back to the OP, I think DL the park (and MK at WDW) both have a tradition of no alcohol. It has probably been said earlier in this thread, but Walt Disney enjoyed alcohol and socializing with alcohol. Which is partly why he started Club 33 although I believe it was not opened until after his passing. Regardless, alcohol at amusement parks had an association back in Walt's day of a negative, non-family place. He wanted DL to be different, family oriented, and clean. MK took that same approach which I think was a good idea.

Keeping DL and MK alcohol free except for Club 33 is a tradition that I support. However, SWGE (the subject of this thread) will be at DHS park in Florida, not MK. DHS serves alcohol like all the parks do at WDW save MK. So if Disney is going to make SWGE at DLR and WDW the same or nearly so, with themed dining establishments as they have discussed, that does create a disconnect. I can see why Disney may want to have alcohol at DL's SWGE. I am not sure where I land on this one and frankly would be fine either way. I would lean towards having alcohol at DL SWGE to keep it in sync with Florida, but limit it to SWGE and nowhere else at DL.

As @slpeters says, it really is not any huge issue at WDW and I doubt it would be at DL either.

:wizard:

Thanks for your well thought out input. The article I posted says that alcohol is now served at select sit down restaurants in the MK at WDW and that it started with the Be Our Guest restaurant. I didn't know that before reading the article. The thought from the author was that the alcohol had spread (though only in sit down locals) after starting in one place. He was hoping, but some of us may be dreading, that if it came to Galaxy's Edge it could spread around the park to other sit down locations.

Thanks for your well thought out input. The article I posted says that alcohol is now served at select sit down restaurants in the MK at WDW and that it started with the Be Our Guest restaurant. I didn't know that before reading the article. The thought from the author was that the alcohol had spread (though only in sit down locals) after starting in one place. He was hoping, but some of us may be dreading, that if it came to Galaxy's Edge it could spread around the park to other sit down locations.
Thanks for the reminder. I saw your post but it was a week or two ago and I had forgotten. And yes, that makes sense at MK. BOG is a French restaurant. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter