Galaxy's Edge Performance and Evolution Discussion

Discussion topics as of 20th October: Post 2 - current:
- Overall thoughts on performance of the land: What is working, what isn't?
- Who is the audience for this land? How might reality differ from what Disney was expecting?
- Immersion: Is it something guests want? Is there too much/too little? Thoughts on the removal of the Star Wars names for the food?

Thanks! And may the Force be with us all

-Phil
I *think* they thought the target audience would be diehard Star Wars fans....the folks that go to SW conventions, CC, and dress the part when they do.
I love the land. As a matter of fact, I've gotten way more into SW since experiencing SWGE. My computer desk is now home to several Funko Pops and about a dozen 6" black series figures :darth::chewy::cool1:

got ours for opening night. Thursday at 6:30. Not the Dolby theater we wanted but it's not like we won't go see it several times
As much as I would love opening night, I think we'll go for Christmas evening. It's a tradition in our family to see a movie together with our kids on Christmas evening (even though son and daughter in law won't be able to make it now that they have a 13 month old).....Now I'm not sure I can wait 6 whole days after it opens to see it :(

got ours for opening night. Thursday at 6:30. Not the Dolby theater we wanted but it's not like we won't go see it several times

Nice! I got for Friday - Thurs was just tough with the kids schedules - but only one day to avoid spoilers!

Nice! I got for Friday - Thurs was just tough with the kids schedules - but only one day to avoid spoilers!
I broke down and got tickets for early friday evening....and the trailer.....lots of stuff there. I should have recorded it so I can look at it slowly. Got a little choked up too.

I know this only speaks to a few posters so far, but it seems really strange to have gone from: "Star Wars land is going to be insane and absolutely packed" to "I blame the hardcore fans for Star Wars land not being an immediate success because clearly you can't please them."

Maybe that's not what is meant by these posts, but it kind of reads that way.

I know this only speaks to a few posters so far, but it seems really strange to have gone from: "Star Wars land is going to be insane and absolutely packed" to "I blame the hardcore fans for Star Wars land not being an immediate success because clearly you can't please them."

Maybe that's not what is meant by these posts, but it kind of reads that way.

Actually, that's kinda accurate to some extent anyway, though I really think it is mostly outside factore contributing to the low attendance.

Actually, that's kinda accurate to some extent anyway, though I really think it is mostly outside factore contributing to the low attendance.

I agree that it's probably a lot of factors working in concert.

But if you're building a land targeted toward a certain group, it's still the company's fault for missing the mark. The company either didn't get the land right for that group, or if the group truly can't be pleased, the company misread that it was even possible in the first place. Either way, I don't see how you can "blame" the group.

That said, I don't see this as any kind of nail in a coffin. Once the whole thing opens, there will be a better indication of it's success.

As for me, I think I would have preferred an original trilogy spot, but that opinion wouldn't keep me from potentially enjoying the land if/when I get to see it. I do think it would be more universally exciting if it had been OT. JMO.

Was hoping Thurs myself, but didn't realize tickets went on sale before the preview dropped. But was able to get a ticket fri night in the AMC Disney Springs Dolby. This will be the first time ever I'm seeing a major blockbuster franchise on opening night by myself, should be interesting

Was hoping Thurs myself, but didn't realize tickets went on sale before the preview dropped. But was able to get a ticket fri night in the AMC Disney Springs Dolby. This will be the first time ever I'm seeing a major blockbuster franchise on opening night by myself, should be interesting
So much fun. They roll out a red carpet, banners of the movie as you enter, photo backdrops, the music playing all around the west side

But if you're building a land targeted toward a certain group, it's still the company's fault for missing the mark. The company either didn't get the land right for that group, or if the group truly can't be pleased, the company misread that it was even possible in the first place. Either way, I don't see how you can "blame" the group.

That said, I don't see this as any kind of nail in a coffin. Once the whole thing opens, there will be a better indication of it's success.

As for me, I think I would have preferred an original trilogy spot, but that opinion wouldn't keep me from potentially enjoying the land if/when I get to see it. I do think it would be more universally exciting if it had been OT. JMO.
Imagineers have said and SWGE CM know that the land wasn't built with a specific group in mind. It was built for all sorts of visitors which is why it's a new place, no need to know sw universe to enjoy it, people just need to visit and allow themselves to get into the story

Im disappointed they changed the listing of the foods...I was trained in improv bu the famed Del Close who always said "dont dumb it down for audiences, bring them up a level"...how hard was it to see shaak roast was beef or find a friggin bathroom??? Im a strong SW fan since 1977 and am psyched to go to SWGE in November. Hubby, son and I all have acting experiences (not our daughter) & we are going "in character" and are planning on fully immersing ourselves. But we "let go" on every trip & have a blast with castmembers! We've been picked as grand marshals for the 3pm parade, son "opened" HS on his 8th birthday,my hubby has played harmonica with various WDW musicians, etc...Im gonna just have fun! Also, got our movie tix for the 1st showing on Thursday night of ROS.

Now, I don't know that anybody'd prefer a meet and greet with Hondo over Darth Vader, but you get my point.

Honestly? I probably WOULD do a M&G with Hondo! (And I don’t have much interest in meeting VaderHe is one of my favorite characters! But, I also might have enjoyed Rebels more than some of the movies.

I don’t think there is any conflict in anticipating huge crowds at opening and then—when those crowds don’t materialize—question why the fans didn’t show up. We’re there any red flags that they wouldn’t show up? I don’t know. From these discussion boards, I don’t think anyone guessed there wouldn’t be a huge mass of people. Of course, that was also before the early opening, without RotT, was announced. I think that definitely put a damper on the initial crowds. But, to me, it seems that the less-than-expected crowds may have been due to deeper issues.

Even though I said “I blame the die-hard fans,” I also believe Disney made some missteps, including the arrogance of Iger believing he did not need to market SW:GE.

Maybe they didn’t set out to build this land geared toward a certain group, but rather focused on how they could bring in the casual fan or those that are unfamiliar? But if you do that, it is a mistake to believe “if we build it, [the avid SW fans] will come.”

I agree with PPs who suggested there needs to be a better opening and introduction to the story as you enter the world of Batuu. Maybe they should have some kind of “entry procedure” for first time visitors (maybe from The First Order?) where you are instructed on the customs of the land and using the data pad (for basic tasks like translating), are updated on the recent occupation by the First Order and warned about The Resistance...then maybe The Resistance hacks into the communication and makes their plea for help and how the datapad can be used to help them. However it is accomplished, I think it is needed.

Star Wars IX - Got my tickets for Thursday night 6:00 PM at our local AMC Classic theatre (its an old theater that they havent really refurbished (no reserved seatings, no lounge seating, no IMAX screens) so tickets are $9 all the time. I live in a small town but has three theaters within a few miles of each other, so no super rush to reserve tickets. Still not sure why the movie has a release date of 12/20 if they have it on MANY screens all night Thursday. Plan on seeing it on IMAX when I am up in MKE for the holidays. I just wont be there for opening weekend.

SWGE Immersion - Also .. heard that Docking Bay 7 added the themed names back to the menu. Is this true?

I have not been (going in November). But I find it funny how the same Disney fans that are always complaining about Disney selling out, over saturating their go to IP characters and general money grabbing are now complaining that the new land is not filled with the familiar nostalgic characters. I applaud Disney for at least trying to do something different than just recreating Episode IV. I think if they did that, it would be so ridiculously crowded nobody would be able to go. So, they didn't "sell out". They tried to create something more unique. I am surprised more fans are not happy about it and seem to be wanting more of the "Let it Go!!" mentality that has swept the rest of the resort.

As for the cost of the Light Sabers and Droids, can you imagine if these experiences cost $29.99? They needed to price it to meet demand. If the demand declines, the prices will, too.

I am an older Star Wars fan who grew up in the 70's - original trilogy movies are my thing. But I am keeping an open mind and looking forward to visiting Batuu.

Last edited:
people just need to visit and allow themselves to get into the story

So my caveat on my reply is I haven't been there yet so please correct me if my cons are based on unfair impression.

I think one of the cons is there seems to be no "plothook" to get others into the story. You can have "experiences" if you have the money or pretend to be in the need of a job as to why you're at Hondo's Transport Solutions. But there's no prompt to help those who might not know where to get started. You're just expected to throw yourself in and have a good time. I think the roleplaying aspect is lost on a lot of attendees and for those who don't really have any experience (even when they're open to it) are going to have difficulty getting into that element.

I have experience roleplaying (D&D, Star Wars Tabletop, LARP) and my reading about the land doesn't require me to have those prompts. But me being able to create my own story comes in part from a personal experience I imagine the majority of attendees don't have. Someone on another thread mentioned creating your own character at kiosks. I think Disney Parks might be a bit too crowded to do that (might work in the DL version, not sure?). But that could be a feature of the Play Disney Parks app. Make your own Star Wars ID, make notes about your character, etc. There could even be prompts to help those develop a character (bullet points about personality, reason for visit, etc.). Just anything to help attendees make the most of their experience who really want to immerse themselves but no idea where to start.

In addition, I've mentioned I like the idea of the living shows a previous poster mentioned. Batuu should have some feelings of tension with both Resistance and First Order having a presence there. While direct audience participation would be impractical for several reasons, they should be "witness" to these "historical" events. I know I've presented the argument that I've been a proponent of the "Create your own story". I've since realized I mean to say "Open yourself to new experiences and new stories". I can have my own non-canon side story, but I also think it would be cool to get to witness a new canon story unique to that land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter