• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

Bad attempts at a fast pass replacement systems resulting in people having to be on their phones constantly instead of enjoying the parks
- etc.
I feel like the people who complain the most about Genie+ have never used the system. If someone can read basic English, owns a decent phone, and has the ability to press a rectangular tab on the phone, they too can be successful at Genie+.

I thought the elaborate backstory on TBA was to be that she was going on a journey to find some secret ingredient? In that case she could go to just about anywhere that has mountains - right?
Or she could be in a parallel universe where New Orleans has mountains, drops, and talking animals.

If we could fly over London on a pirate ship, why is it so hard to imagine that New Orleans could have mountains?

I feel like the people who complain the most about Genie+ have never used the system. If someone can read basic English, owns a decent phone, and has the ability to press a rectangular tab on the phone, they too can be successful at Genie+.

I’ve used Genie+ a lot and have gotten a lot out of it, but I much prefer old FP+ where you could book three ahead of time and not have to be on your phone starting at 7am on vacation. It was also much easier to book the three in a logical flow instead of needing to cross the park a lot to get to your next Genie+ based on what’s available in the moment or knowledge of what books up the fastest.

Disney did a really poor job of marketing Starcruiser and there were so many descriptions and assumptions about it that weren't really true. I didn't think it wasn't intense role playing at all. I'm an introvert and there's no way I could've done that 😂 . I also did Starcruiser twice and thought the Imagineers did a great job creating a story and experience where people could engage in different ways depending on their interest and personality.

Agree that they could've done more in the set-up... like someone from Starcruiser calls you two weeks before the voyage, but they could give more information besides making sure you downloaded and logged into the app.
Yes, great idea. The call would have been really helpful and some better set up in terms of expectations. We downloaded the app and all that but, you're 100% right, that marketing... oooffff! Right now, I just miss the Cloud of Bespin drink lol.

I have a real philosophical problem with it. You pay Disney, they in turn let you cut in front of other paying guests. The party that is really being put out here isn't Disney, it's the guests in standby - and the standby lines are AWFUL now, far worse than they have ever been. The day before G+ went live we would have all been up in arms about the miscreant cutting the line, but you slip Disney a $20 and it's all good? Not to me it's not.

E
Walt also said the parks will never be complete, and i think that also means rides change as well.

The new Splash Mountains is going to as popular as ever, if not more than ever. Change is needed from time to time, and to be fair, the Star Wars hotel was bad idea.......
I don’t necessarily think the SW hotel was a bad idea, it was just terribly executed. Several bad decisions were made:
- way too expensive
- terrible marketing by people that had no clue what a SWs fan was
- stupid decision to tie to only the Disney ST
- rooms to small
- box truck transport screams cheap

It all comes and back to Disney used to hire the smartest people to do these type of things. They no longer appear to do that, and you can tell.

E

I don’t necessarily think the SW hotel was a bad idea, it was just terribly executed. Several bad decisions were made:
- way too expensive
- rooms to small

It all comes and back to Disney used to hire the smartest people to do these type of things. They no longer appear to do that, and you can tell.
I think that opinions may vary here.

Too expensive, but personally I’m glad that they didn’t compromise the vision on what they had. When the closing was announced my son said the same thing, so we tried to estimate how much it cost to run the hotel vs the number of rooms that were available. Our results suggested that it was priced as it was for a reason.

The box truck transport was one of our favorite parts. We loved the cheesy music and how it was intentionally bouncy.

The rooms were small, but for 2 days they were manageable. And this is coming from a family of 4-6 that barely “fits” in a 2BD.

I’m not sure what ST refers to.

And as far as the marketing goes, what else would you have wanted to see? More influencers? (Shudders) More TV advertisements? Some kind of Disney+ tie in?

It was an extremely expensive niche product but it was an amazing experience for those who got to try it out. Most people who did it loved it.

I think that opinions may vary here.

Too expensive, but personally I’m glad that they didn’t compromise the vision on what they had. When the closing was announced my son said the same thing, so we tried to estimate how much it cost to run the hotel vs the number of rooms that were available. Our results suggested that it was priced as it was for a reason.

The box truck transport was one of our favorite parts. We loved the cheesy music and how it was intentionally bouncy.

The rooms were small, but for 2 days they were manageable. And this is coming from a family of 4-6 that barely “fits” in a 2BD.

I’m not sure what ST refers to.

And as far as the marketing goes, what else would you have wanted to see? More influencers? (Shudders) More TV advertisements? Some kind of Disney+ tie in?

It was an extremely expensive niche product but it was an amazing experience for those who got to try it out. Most people who did it loved it.
The cost was just too high, though. If you're not really into Star Wars, I just can't see how you'd justify the cost. Maybe it wasn't that bad if you had 4-5 people in your group, but I remember the cost for 2 people was something like $5k for a basic room. That's more than Disney charges for 7 nights on many of their Caribbean cruises.

ST = Sequel Trilogy, as in the ones that lots of people hate. I personally think it was a big mistake to base it off of an IP that was polarizing. OT based would have made a ton more sense imho. Or various stories based on the day. 2 days of original trilogy theme, 2 days of Prequel trilogy theme, 2 days of Sequel trilogy theme, and then one day of Mondoverse theme. You use your data from bookings to determine if those ratios needed changing.

We talked to a cast member who said that they knew of a guest that had done 10 voyages!

I think that a lot depends on how you prioritize what you spend money on. We live very frugally through the year so that we can travel lavishly. $5000 is still cheaper than VIP (1 day), and that is sold out year round. Talking to a guide once he said that they get a lot of “normal” families who just choose to stay at less expensive hotels so that they can do VIP. Or plenty of people will spend $5000 on dining out, clothing, alcohol, etc.

ST = Sequel Trilogy, as in the ones that lots of people hate. I personally think it was a big mistake to base it off of an IP that was polarizing. OT based would have made a ton more sense imho. Or various stories based on the day. 2 days of original trilogy theme, 2 days of Prequel trilogy theme, 2 days of Sequel trilogy theme, and then one day of Mondoverse theme. You use your data from bookings to determine if those ratios needed changing.
Gotcha, thanks. I have seen 1-6 and the Mandalorian. My son on the other hand has watched absolutely everything and knows a ton about Star Wars.

remember the cost for 2 people was something like $5k for a basic room. That's more than Disney charges for 7 nights on many of their Caribbean cruises.
But that's not necessarily a problem.

There were only 100 rooms, for a two-day experience. At double occupancy, that's roughly 35,000 people per year. The five current DCL ships have 5,500 staterooms. At double occupancy, with a four-night trip average, that's almost 1M people per year.

These experiences were never meant to be comparable, because the Starcruiser only had to attract 3-4% of the volume that the cruise ships do. It still didn't quite hit that, and that's a miss, but it wasn't obvious that it couldn't work given the smaller scale.

E

- way too expensive
- rooms to small

How else could they do it? (keeping you in a bubble, without making you wear a blindfold. lol)

And there's no way that Disney could possibly change anything. Obviously.
It kind of is obvious. Enlarge the size of the rooms. Dramatically increase the number of rooms. Extensive landscaping for outdoor area and pool.

Is it literally possible? Probably? Would it be significantly more cost effective to convert all or part of an existing resort? Without.a doubt. The design of the Starcruiser isn't suitable for a conventional hotel.

You want a deluxe experience? Wing building at the contemporary. Moderate? Part of POR or POFQ. Value? One of the All Stars.

Glad they tried the idea just the same - it’s easy to armchair quarterback afterwards or Pooh Pooh an idea - without vision and dreaming - none of what has been built prior would even exist today. Since rooting for something or someone to fail seems on the icky side - I’ll stay glass half full that Disney repurposes it in some fashion - I am sure whatever that might be will still drag the same responses …
It would have been better to cancel it and wait for a few years after the pandemic. That financially damaged so many people that spending the amount Disney charged was daft. They should have used original characters you know from the profitable movies.

The issue is Gen x and Boomers love the OT and many don’t like the ST. They also happen to be the age demographic with the most disposable income to spend 5K on a 2 night stay. It was a stupid move to base it only on the newer content that so many find polarizing.

But the numbskulls running Disney and Lucasfilm couldn’t see this for some reason.

The issue is Gen x and Boomers love the OT and many don’t like the ST. They also happen to be the age demographic with the most disposable income to spend 5K on a 2 night stay. It was a stupid move to base it only on the newer content that so many find polarizing.

But the numbskulls running Disney and Lucasfilm couldn’t see this for some reason.
I'm Gen X and love both the OT and the ST, and there are plenty of us. I saw episodes 5 and 6 on opening night, and I watched episode 8 once a week for over a year. The people who don't like the sequels are just louder and more obnoxious and copy-paste each other like spambots. If Twitter had been around in 1980, there wouldn't have been a third movie. I know people who lived the sequels when they saw them, but came home and read so many bad-faith hot takes from internet edgelords that they decided they must not have really enjoyed them as much as they thought they had. It's the age-old propaganda effect; repeat something enough times, and no matter how true or false it is, people will start to believe it's a fact.

Last edited:
I'm Gen X and love both the OT and the ST, and there are plenty of us. I saw episodes 5 and 6 on opening night, and I watched episode 8 once a week for over a year. The people who don't like the sequels are just louder and more obnoxious and copy-paste each other like spambots. If Twitter had been around in 1980, there wouldn't have been a third movie. I know people who lived the sequels when they saw them, but came home and read so many bad-faith hot takes from internet edgelords that they decided they must not have really enjoyed them as much as they thought they had. It's the age-old propaganda effect; repeat something enough times, and no matter how true or false it is, people will start to believe it's a fact.

The same happened with the prequels too. Everyone that I knew enjoyed The Phantom Menace just fine, until that stupid deconstruction video hit - then suddenly everyone's opinion mirrored that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter