Galactic Starcruiser Sailing

Well, when you rent privately, you still are required to report so IMO, 1099 or not, it’s the same, other than using them as a travel agent as well a rental agent.
If I’m receiving money, I will report it in my taxes, whether or not there is a 1099. But if I’m not receiving any money, and there is no 1099, I’m not reporting it.

Well, when you rent privately, you still are required to report so IMO, 1099 or not, it’s the same, other than using them as a travel agent as well a rental agent.
Not disagreeing with you, I'm just frankly surprised they advertise it that way. They've mentioned the no-tax benefit on a couple podcasts out there.

This is my worry that when we finally slot this in the vacation line up the experience won't be the same and it will be just another hotel, although they will have to do something about the actual hotel amenities like a pool or a gym and maybe windows that have a view of the outdoors lol. But I think this is the reason we are going to try to book. It's a random queue so you may or may not get a place in the virtual queue to book depending on how popular it ends up being. Guess we will find out on Tuesday!

I think that when they decide to reinvent it, it will have to close for a while for renovations so it won't be a surprise. Who knows what will happen.

Yes I wouldn't want anyone to regret not being able to experience this when it's inevitably redesigned into a mainstream hotel.
Probably right that it won't exist that long in its current form, though probably longer than we think.

They will rethink it somehow, maybe by adding "day trips" or something so it's not such a huge commitment, or greatly scale back the immersive aspects to make it cheaper or something.

But it will never be redesigned as a mainstream hotel. It's a purpose built, 100 guest room building not designed to have a pool or normal hotel amenities, with very few exterior windows even. The economics of that would never work as a WDW hotel.

There's really not a Plan B for the current structure, IMO.

Disney's greed got the better of them with this ship. They thought it was unsinkable, but now they see it wasn't.

Disney's greed got the better of them with this ship. They thought it was unsinkable, but now they see it wasn't.
Can you sink a starship?

I mean its either derelict floating in space or gets pulled by gravity into either a star or a planet/moon, but I dont think you'd say it was sunk in either of those instances? What would be the preferred nomenclature here?

🎯🎯🎯

I'm pretty much the target audience for this. My adult son and I are both huge Star Wars nerds, love WDW, and I can afford it. But as soon as the price was announced, I lost interest. When the hotel was first announced I told my son "Unless the price is just insane, we are there!" Well, it's insane, even by Disney standards. I'm not afraid to pay stupid prices for premium experiences on vacation (looking at you, DCL Concierge) But when this costs literally as much as a 7 night cruise or a week at an all inclusive resort, can't do it.

When it opened I was somewhat tempted again, because it does look VERY cool. But nah, can't justify that price for what it is. This 30% off is getting close to what I might pay, but no blue card so not even an option. If a 30-40% discount ever comes up I'm eligible for, I'll probably hold my nose and pay it.

I will give them credit for trying it, something that hasn't really ever been done. People say Disney can't innovate any more, blah blah, but IMO this thing is a masterpiece of imagineering from what I've seen and the people I've talked to that have done it. And the people who have been openly rooting for it to fail make me sad (not saying you are)

Can you sink a starship?

I mean its either derelict floating in space or gets pulled by gravity into either a star or a planet/moon, but I dont think you'd say it was sunk in either of those instances? What would be the preferred nomenclature here?
Maybe if you crashed into the Sea of Tranquility on the moon, that would be a "sinking" 🤷‍♂️

🎯🎯🎯

I'm pretty much the target audience for this. My adult son and I are both huge Star Wars nerds, love WDW, and I can afford it. But as soon as the price was announced, I lost interest. When the hotel was first announced I told my son "Unless the price is just insane, we are there!" Well, it's insane, even by Disney standards. I'm not afraid to pay stupid prices for premium experiences on vacation (looking at you, DCL Concierge) But when this costs literally as much as a 7 night cruise or a week at an all inclusive resort, can't do it.

When it opened I was somewhat tempted again, because it does look VERY cool. But nah, can't justify that price for what it is. This 30% off is getting close to what I might pay, but no blue card so not even an option. If a 30-40% discount ever comes up I'm eligible for, I'll probably hold my nose and pay it.

I will give them credit for trying it, something that hasn't really ever been done. People say Disney can't innovate any more, blah blah, but IMO this thing is a masterpiece of imagineering from what I've seen and the people I've talked to that have done it. And the people who have been openly rooting for it to fail make me sad (not saying you are)
I hope you do get to do it at some point. If Disney could have just been more reasonable with pricing, this may have been a success. Maybe they will keep this in mind in the future.

An experience like this doesn't exist anywhere else that I'm aware of. It's one of a kind. So there is no way to compare it with a cruise or anything else. The closest thing might be a full-ship branded charter of a cruise, but those are rare and just as expensive (and even then you likely won't have a fully immersive experience like this with crew being in character etc).

I think they will have to adjust pricing because the market is smaller than they anticipated, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make it a bit more mainstream as well in concert with the pricing adjustments.

Well, I am planning on joining the queue when it opens tomorrow - do we have any ideas on whether this is going to be a hard reservation? Cruises don't interest us so I've never tried for a DVC-only booking anywhere before

🎯🎯🎯

If you & your son are truly big SW fans, I would recommend holding-your-nose now (and your wallet) and bite the bullet. I was also skeptical and shocked by the price of admission, but I split a trip with another SW fan
(neither of our wives were interested). It didn't quite cut the cost in half, because we opted for the small suite, but it was less painful than paying full freight on my own. I do not regret the indulgence. You & your son will love it. I also recommend to grab dinner at the captain's table on the first night. we did that, and it set us up for other opportunities on day 2. (The captain recognized us, and included us in some other "bonus" activities).
YOLO :D

Well, I am planning on joining the queue when it opens tomorrow - do we have any ideas on whether this is going to be a hard reservation? Cruises don't interest us so I've never tried for a DVC-only booking anywhere before
Considering this is the first real discount (and 30% is really solid), the only opportunity to get a real discount, the 'exclusivity' of a DVC Members' Voyage, and the 'special gifts' promised (even if it's mediocre), there's going to be more appeal than normal. Said another way, there is a stronger funnel into this voyage than any other in a long time.

And there's only 100 cabins on the Starcruiser. There's 4200 - 5800 DVC rooms at WDW (depending on how you count lockoffs), most of which are booked and will put thousands of DVC families in the area. Plus locals not currently staying at a DVC resort.

Considering the 'strong funnel' and size of the population base that's already in the area, I think there's a good chance this will sell out tomorrow morning using the Queue-It queue. I think the power of an exclusive discount is especially strong.

I'm most interested in how they do bookings for this--until now they've all be on the phone but a Queue-It queue indicates online bookings to some extent. Maybe just placeholders?

🎯🎯🎯

Our family is similar to yours, in that we love SW and have historically blown far more than $6k on long weekend Disney trips…but one of us is a total introvert and the other (me) just isn’t sure she wants to have to role play with strangers on her vacation, and our kids aren’t particularly outgoing either…at half the price we’d probably give it a try, at $6k, it’s more than a day with a VIP guide, which I know everyone would love.

This offer brings it into consideration, but mostly because I’m worried I will regret not doing it before it gets watered down.

Our family is similar to yours, in that we love SW and have historically blown far more than $6k on long weekend Disney trips…but one of us is a total introvert and the other (me) just isn’t sure she wants to have to role play with strangers on her vacation, and our kids aren’t particularly outgoing either…at half the price we’d probably give it a try, at $6k, it’s more than a day with a VIP guide, which I know everyone would love.

This offer brings it into consideration, but mostly because I’m worried I will regret not doing it before it gets watered down.
Yeah I'm pretty introverted myself but in this case I think I could get into it and have some fun with it.

I'm with you on worrying I'll regret not doing it once it's gone. We may never see an immersive experience done to this high level again.

At half the current price I'd book it tomorrow. If they do 30-40% off I'll most likely do it, but still feel a bit ripped off lol

If you & your son are truly big SW fans, I would recommend holding-your-nose now (and your wallet) and bite the bullet. I was also skeptical and shocked by the price of admission, but I split a trip with another SW fan
(neither of our wives were interested). It didn't quite cut the cost in half, because we opted for the small suite, but it was less painful than paying full freight on my own. I do not regret the indulgence. You & your son will love it. I also recommend to grab dinner at the captain's table on the first night. we did that, and it set us up for other opportunities on day 2. (The captain recognized us, and included us in some other "bonus" activities).
YOLO :D
Ok stop trying to talk me into it! All the resale threads are bad enough, trying to hijack my money... Buncha enablers on this board I swear 😎

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter