Gac

twogirlsmom

Earning My Ears
We are new to DIS and do not yet understand all of the abbreviations. With that said, What is a GAC and who qualifies for it?

You are new! (I see you have only one post). Welcome to disABILITIES.

GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card.
Most queques at WDW are accessible for wheelchairs and/or scooters (also called ecvs) to assist people with these mobility devices. Just having a wheelchair or ecv allows you to use the accessible queues and accessible entrances.
But, some people need to use these entrances, but don't have a wheelchair, so they have an invisible disability that requires them to use that access. Sometimes children don't have a wheelchair, but will need to stay in their stroller in the queque. Some people have totally different needs, like needing to be in the front for shows because of a vision disability or in a specific area to be able to use devices for those with hearing impairments. Some people need a quieter place to wait because of conditions like autism, or to wait where they will be protected from the sun. The GAC is a way to let the CMs know about the assistance needed.

If someone in your party has these needs, they can request a GAC at Guest Services at any of the parks. You need to be able to explain what your needs are and the CM there decides whether or not you are eligible for a GAC. The GAC is usually valid for your entire stay for the person with a disability and up to 5 other members of your party.

Welcome! Please don't hesitate to ask questions & participate in the discussions here. Sue gave you a very good explanation about the GAC. About two years ago I found this board after having been diagnosed with a knee condition. I lurked for quite awhile reading about GACs, renting ECV (electric convenience vehicles), handicapped parking permits, etc. Reading the informaito nhere gave me the confidence to ask my doctor for a permit, to rent an ECV to get around WDW & to ask for a GAC. I hope you continue to read & participate :)!

Can anyone tell me why Disney are so reluctant to publish any information about the GAC.

None of their leaflets mention it.

The website is silent on that point.

I would not have know of the existance of the card had I not visited sites like this, and been so persistant about it.

Why is it such a secret what types of GAC there are.

They will not even discuss it when you telephone.

I think there are 2 reaons that they don't discuss it much. One is that most people who use wheelchairs or ecvs don't need a GAC. The accessible lines are enough for them.
Another reason is that (like anything else) there are people who would abuse the GAC if they knew about it, which makes it harder for people who can't tour without one to go to WDW. This happened with refrigerators - once people heard that WDW was letting people with medical needs use them at no charge, word got out. People who did not have any medical need were saying they did just to get a free frig (The "hint" to do that was published on some internet boards). Disney's response was to charge everyone for refrigerators, medical need or not.
When you are at the parks, the CMs at Guest Services and at the rides do sometimes tell people about the GAC if you express a need or they can see you are having a hard time. They won't talk about it on the phone because they want to make a judgement about the needs of the person in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter