• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC changes - July & Aug 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason people are 'blaming' for creating a 'monster' is that behavior reinforcement is a very important tool for helping people with autism, and giving the child the toy (and having an immediate recovery when it was given) reinforced the explosive behavior. That probably undid months of behavior therapy, IMO.

Not true at all! Reinforcing by giving him what he wanted opens the door for communication to get your point across for the next time, when a child with autism has a meltdown they are blind to anything you say and do, when the child is calm it is the only chance you get to "reinforce positive behavior "next time. Believe me I do it everyday and it works

I can't believe some of the responses on here! I just don't understand why it's okay for several groups of 6 people using the GAC to bypass the 75 minute line, when the people in that 75 minute line paid the same amount as the bypassers did. It also frustrates me when people say they are totally "freaking out" over rumors about impending GAC changes. I really don't understand why it seems like everyone is freaking out about the "fast-pass type pass" instead of the GAC. The line would be shorter for people who can't (or won't) wait in the regular line, you can sit down in the shade wherever you please and wait. This would make it fairer for everyone. Also, if waiting in line with others is "too crowded, too dark, too scary, too noisy, too etc.....", attraction rides at any theme park are probably not the place you want to take your children who have these extreme sort of issues.

I just feel that far too many people have lived with being entitled to getting to the front of the line/shorter line for far too long. I understand Make A Wish and actual wheelchair bound users actually needing a pass for a seperate line, but for those people who:
-can't walk "too far" because of a little extra weight
-have anger issues
-kids with temper tantrums that can become extremely violent (which is a total safety issue for other guests)
-who can't be in loud places (your at Disney, it's probably going to be loud)
-and for those who frankly just don't want to wait in the regular line, because they are "too good" to wait in the regular line
these people do not deserve to get into the special line.

That would cause a major meltdown for my 2 as they don't understand, if the ride is there why can't I ride it. It may seem easy to some to just explain it to them but when it isn't understood there is no point. At school they can't even wait in line when the bell rings to go in because of severe sensory issues, it's very noisy and crowded with shoving and touching in the lines so imagine what it would be like at Disney. It's not the kids fault, they are not trying to be difficult it's just part of who there are

Understood. In my family we have people with various physical and psychological special needs and we have gone through phases during which they react as you describe. So I get that at least to some extent. We've never used GAC (I had never heard of it before reading these boards, and haven't visited Disney since). We've been able to manage for the most part with strategies we've found to work for our kids. But we've had some real doozies of meltdowns. Our life is just that way.

I understand that for some people, as you describe, there simply is no other acceptable solution than unlimited FP/alternate entrance. A return time won't work for people who will melt down if they approach the attraction and can't get right on. Quite honestly, I don't know how Disney can accommodate this need and prevent abuse at the same time. Because if the opportunity exists (as it does now) for unlimited FP/alternate entrance, LOTS of people are going to abuse it.

Sorry for the intrusion here ---- I don't want to post an entire new thread as this probably will be obvious to frequent posters from this forum but...

Here is my situation, and we are visiting in August and I was hoping to squeeze in one last trip before major surgery.

I have chronic pain symptoms from a condition called Post herniorraphy pain syndrome. In fact, I am having surgery for it in September to remove nerves to alleviate the pain. I can't stand for more than 15-20 minute at a time without resting/sitting.

I was hoping to squeeze in a last minute trip in August before my 3 month bedrest recovery. I had been hoping to use GAC.

Is this something that they would issue a GAC pass for? I've never asked for one before as this is fairly recent for me. If you guys think not, then I'm actually not going on this trip as I probably can't handle the standing. I have to sit every 15-20 minutes or so from the pressure & pain. I can't use an ECV as I will be pushing an umbrella stroller with my 4YO DD.

Thanks for any help. :goodvibes

They can get dangerous. My son's are much better. But there was a time that I sported a lot of black and blue marks. Working through the book The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children changed our lives for the better. It taught me and dh how to recognize the signs of a meltdown before it happens and how to stop them from occurring. Because once a meltdown starts, all reasoning, logic, and communication is thrown out the window. And you know how fast they can go from calm to full blown, so it's a matter of recognizing and acting on it faster than immediately. The book also helped me to chose my battles better and understand what goes on in his head.

If you stay onsite at Universal, you don't have to pay extra for the express pass.

Right, don't panic. It wise to try to be informed.

I'm at a park, usually once a week, to eat out. Sometimes we go on attractions and sometimes not. I'm sure we'll be one of the first to experience any changes. And we'll be staying on property the end of August into September. So if things change then, we'll be seeing them first hand.

I will definitely check that book out. Thank you very much.

Must be very difficult with a child with autism in the parks. I was waiting for a bus with my rollator and this lady and her DS were next to me. The child ( about 8 ) went from zero to complete no reasoning in the space of 3 minutes because he wanted the Mickey Mouse hanging on my rollator. The Mom told him it belonged to me and bless him he just didn't understand why he couldn't have it. I didn't know what to do I was desperate to help her as she said Dad had taken her DD for a swim and some alone time as because of the way things were with DS she didn't get much time focussed on her. So I whispered to her did she want the Mickey Mouse I could easily replace it , it would be my pleasure as clearly the son was autistic. ( he was rocking at this stage whole bus line looking and he had started to get violent ) . She said yes through tears and offered me money but I didn't want it. I gave it to the boy if he promised to be good for his mum which he did. Melt down over. He sat silently with Mickey until the bus arrived all was well but then.. This woman also waiting in the line started to interfere... You should not have given in to him..... You are building a monster... Blame blame blame..

I was horrified. People must blame you all the time but they would not blame you if it was a physical disability it's just this influences behaviour. People don't see the brain is just like any other matter in the body we can't always control it.

I wish people could be more understanding of us. I frequently get tuts and sighs at daring to take an extra minute to be loaded onto the bus. I live with this pain and disability 24 x 7 and it held them up for one moment! People complain that GAC gets you something they don't get. I say try living as us for one day, or the sibling of somebody with autism. A GAC card offers little comfort but we do cherish what it does offer. I hope Disney do not give in to this impatient mass of me me me culture. Walt would be mortified.

Ok I like what Universal are offering but I don't think guys and girls we should have to pay our way in Disney to be normal. Let's fight for your children and the likes of me! We deserve it.

This is a very touching story. I know exactly how that mother felt. That was so very kind of you and I know it really made a difference in that family's trip.
It is so unthoughtful of people to be impatient at the bus stop/in life/on vacation when waiting for somebody who has special needs. I bet most don't know how hurtful it can be to the person, and the others don't care. I hope the next time you are there someone can do something kind for you the way you did for that family. :thumbsup2 I know that anyone would choose to walk through Disney if that was option for them and I wish more people would be understanding of that.

The reason people are 'blaming' for creating a 'monster' is that behavior reinforcement is a very important tool for helping people with autism, and giving the child the toy (and having an immediate recovery when it was given) reinforced the explosive behavior. That probably undid months of behavior therapy, IMO.

I completely disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, and if you have a child with autism, I am sure you know what works best with your kid. However, I know that my son has a very hard time regulating his emotions and his meltdowns in this type of situation are not from an "explosive" type of behavior or anger - it is from being too sad to be able to deal with it logically. The intensity of his sadness can cause a huge meltdown and explosion of behavior. He can't deal with how sad he feels and then loses reason. There is a difference in the way he reacts when he is having a "normal" childhood fit and an autism meltdown. A normal fit could be reinforced by the toy. A real emotional breakdown isn't reinforced by the toy - you can't reinforce sadness that way. He's not a pet being trained. He's a boy who is learning how to cope with his intense emotions and that takes time. Helping him during that time of learning to cope by giving him something he desperately wants does not undue his learning to deal with sadness and deep disappointment.

Obviously all children, even those with autism, are different and the type of therapy they do also differs. As well, most child with autism are not on the same time line - they progress at their own paces. I know this type of therapy works very well for some children with autism. It does not work with my child. I'm willing to bet it was not the type of therapy that Paula encountered at Disney World either as his mother was very grateful to Paula.

If I was that mother I would be so thankful that my child was able to go on and have a good day at Disney World. Paula did not have to (by any means!) give him the Mickey and that was such a generous and understanding act, when so often parents of children with autism are met with a negative attitude (like the monster comments). :goodvibes

For me, the worst part of these moments is still the embarrassment I feel at the looks and comments that witnesses to these episodes give me. I wish I had a thicker skin, but for some reason it always hurts.

I do have a thicker skin, but the worst part of public meltdowns for me is how embarrassed my DD6 gets. She tries so hard not to be embarrassed and wants to be supportive of her brother because she loves him, but sometimes I see how worried she gets that he will have a meltdown. She can't take the looks or comments and she also gets scared for him too. We have her in counseling and the counselor has her use a "worry box" where as the day goes on, she puts her worries in her imaginary box for later so she doesn't have to feel upset. She can just open the worry box once a day to discuss her feelings and fears with me. I think it is helping her.

DisneylandFlower said:
I can't believe some of the responses on here! I just don't understand why it's okay for several groups of 6 people using the GAC to bypass the 75 minute line, when the people in that 75 minute line paid the same amount as the bypassers did. It also frustrates me when people say they are totally "freaking out" over rumors about impending GAC changes. I really don't understand why it seems like everyone is freaking out about the "fast-pass type pass" instead of the GAC. The line would be shorter for people who can't (or won't) wait in the regular line, you can sit down in the shade wherever you please and wait. This would make it fairer for everyone. Also, if waiting in line with others is "too crowded, too dark, too scary, too noisy, too etc.....", attraction rides at any theme park are probably not the place you want to take your children who have these extreme sort of issues.

I just feel that far too many people have lived with being entitled to getting to the front of the line/shorter line for far too long. I understand Make A Wish and actual wheelchair bound users actually needing a pass for a seperate line, but for those people who:
-have anger issues
-kids with temper tantrums that can become extremely violent (which is a total safety issue for other guests)
-and for those who frankly just don't want to wait in the regular line, because they are "too good" to wait in the regular line

While I understand your frustration with people who expect to simply skip the line, some of your comments can come across as insensitive or even offensive do some people with disabilities. Yes everyone who goes to Disney knows that there is increased stimulation. But I have not seen anyone say that they get a GAC because they are overweight or have anger issues or are too good.

I suggest you read the sticky at the top of the forum to learn a little bit more about how is GAC works. They are not given so people can bypass in line, nor are they given to people who use wheelchairs, and have their needs met by wheelchair use.

I go to Disneyland at least weekly, I am a full-time wheelchair user (btw the term wheelchair bound is no longer considered polite) and I require AG AC to enjoy many aspects of the parks.

I am sure you did not mean it, but what your post came across as is that if a person or their child has such severe needs, they should just not go to Disney. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly , but this is how some of it sounds.

I do not expect my GAC to allow me instant access to the attractions, but there are some queues which I simply cannot handle, due to my invisible disabilities.

It is perfectly understandable for us to be freaking out just a little, because there may be attractions which we can no longer access once they change the system. The GAC was never intended too shorten a wait time, but instead to provide a safe waiting experience.

I know you are new to the boards, but at least on this forum we tried to be very sensitive to the needs and feelings of others, and to not rank who is sicker, or who is more worthy of an accommodation without actually knowing the person. The beginning of your post indicated you did not understand why we would be concerned about changes to the system, but there is no need to make assumptions or somewhat rude statements about people being overweight.

illness and disability are complex topics, even more so when you are trying to enjoy a place like Disney. Therefore we all try to be as respectful as we can, especially since most of us only have the little bit of information about each other that is available on flat.

-have anger issues

While I understand your frustration with people who expect to simply skip the line, some of your comments can come across as insensitive or even offensive do some people with disabilities. Yes everyone who goes to Disney knows that there is increased stimulation. But I have not seen anyone say that they get a GAC because they are overweight or have anger issues or are too good.

I suggest you read the sticky at the top of the forum to learn a little bit more about how is GAC works. They are not given so people can bypass in line, nor are they given to people who use wheelchairs, and have their needs met by wheelchair use.

I go to Disneyland at least weekly, I am a full-time wheelchair user (btw the term wheelchair bound is no longer considered polite) and I require AG AC to enjoy many aspects of the parks.

I am sure you did not mean it, but what your post came across as is that if a person or their child has such severe needs, they should just not go to Disney. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly , but this is how some of it sounds.

I do not expect my GAC to allow me instant access to the attractions, but there are some queues which I simply cannot handle, due to my invisible disabilities.

It is perfectly understandable for us to be freaking out just a little, because there may be attractions which we can no longer access once they change the system. The GAC was never intended too shorten a wait time, but instead to provide a safe waiting experience.

I know you are new to the boards, but at least on this forum we tried to be very sensitive to the needs and feelings of others, and to not rank who is sicker, or who is more worthy of an accommodation without actually knowing the person. The beginning of your post indicated you did not understand why we would be concerned about changes to the system, but there is no need to make assumptions or somewhat rude statements about people being overweight.

illness and disability are complex topics, even more so when you are trying to enjoy a place like Disney. Therefore we all try to be as respectful as we can, especially since most of us only have the little bit of information about each other that is available on flat.

Thank-you for your post. When I read the other post, my first reaction was to be snarky but instead I left the thread. You were able to get the point across in a gracious and respectful way that at the time, I could not have done.
It's very humbling for me when we have to use the GAC. I know my daughter, her friend, my niece, and DD's godmother, would gladly stand in line if she could dump her diabetes, or her friend's brain tumor would go away, or my niece's immune disorder didn't exist, or their was a cure for her godmother's son's autism.

Robbi said:
Thank-you for your post. When I read the other post, my first reaction was to be snarky but instead I left the thread. You were able to get the point across in a gracious and respectful way that at the time, I could not have done.
It's very humbling for me when we have to use the GAC. I know my daughter, her friend, my niece, and DD's godmother, would gladly stand in line if she could dump her diabetes, or her friend's brain tumor would go away, or my niece's immune disorder didn't exist, or their was a cure for her godmother's son's autism.

Agreed!! I think that the vast majority of people cannot fathom what it is like to truly live with a disability or chronic condition. They just really can't comprehend the daily impact it has. And how exhausting it is just to get the day to day basics done let alone anything 'extra'. I think if 'someone' had to walk a mile in 'another's shoes', maybe they wouldn't be so quick to make such harsh judgements.

It is very worrisome about the up and coming changes. Some posters are so 'caught up' in the what's FAIR to everyone. Well, is it FAIR, that you (general you) can stay in the park from open til close but some of us needing a GAC just can't! Some days I might only get a couple of hours in the park...so if I have to wait those same lengthy wait times (not saying GACs should give FOTL access) I might get to only do one or two things total!! How is that FAIR?? You're still going to get WAY more done than I ever will! So what are you griping about? I hope they are able to figure out a way to make this workable without Penalizing those who really need them.

That would cause a major meltdown for my 2 as they don't understand, if the ride is there why can't I ride it. It may seem easy to some to just explain it to them but when it isn't understood there is no point. At school they can't even wait in line when the bell rings to go in because of severe sensory issues, it's very noisy and crowded with shoving and touching in the lines so imagine what it would be like at Disney. It's not the kids fault, they are not trying to be difficult it's just part of who there are

Are you saying that he only GAC that would work for your family is one that allowed you to skip the lines? The one suggested (where you'd be blocked from using it again until a certain time) would still mean that there might be a ride that your kids couldn't ride right then.

Sorry for the intrusion here ---- I don't want to post an entire new thread as this probably will be obvious to frequent posters from this forum but...

Here is my situation, and we are visiting in August and I was hoping to squeeze in one last trip before major surgery.

I have chronic pain symptoms from a condition called Post herniorraphy pain syndrome. In fact, I am having surgery for it in September to remove nerves to alleviate the pain. I can't stand for more than 15-20 minute at a time without resting/sitting.

I was hoping to squeeze in a last minute trip in August before my 3 month bedrest recovery. I had been hoping to use GAC.

Is this something that they would issue a GAC pass for? I've never asked for one before as this is fairly recent for me. If you guys think not, then I'm actually not going on this trip as I probably can't handle the standing. I have to sit every 15-20 minutes or so from the pressure & pain. I can't use an ECV as I will be pushing an umbrella stroller with my 4YO DD.

Thanks for any help. :goodvibes

Unfortunately, not really. There is no GAC that can avoid standing/walking, especially since a lot of the walking is between rides/attractions - the general answer is to get a wheelchair/ECV. Can someone else push the umbrella stroller? Who'll be pushing it if you don't go? Can they not still push it even if you are there? With an ECV (or wheelchair), you don't have to stay in it all of the time - you can leave it and walk around a bit (not sure if some walking is helpful to you - it is for many people).

Is there a GAC for someone who would do better staying out of the sun?

I'm not talking about skipping lines, more like could they wait in a shady area?

Is there a GAC for someone who would do better staying out of the sun?

I'm not talking about skipping lines, more like could they wait in a shady area?

There are very few lines that are out in the sun. When we went with mum (due to chemo she was very sun sensitive), we found walking between rides much more of a problem. We didn't know about GACs at the time (I'm having trouble thinking of one that would have helped anyway), but what we did at one or two attractions was have her wait at the point that the line went indoors and she joined us when we reached that point. Might not have been a perfect solution but it worked for us (and no one said anything when she joined us - possibly because they could see her waiting there as we approached, so they knew she had waited the full time and these points were still well away from the ride load zone).

I am so upset about this To me the scenario seems like this: So, you must take the person with the GAC up to the ride in any event - we know that for sure. If the rumors here are true, you then scan your tickets/bands whatever and then leave. So now he is melting down, and then he is sobbing, and then his blood sugar has hit bottom, and then we are leaving the park because there is no coming back from this, and then he is freaking out because we are leaving the park now. So there isn't even fun at the resort. He's heartbroken, his 6 yr old sister is so embarrassed but spends the rest of the day not enjoying the park with her dad because she is too busy worrying about him. We miss our ADRs and I'm so glad to have spent all this money to bring a little joy into their lives. Then we try again the next day and when it works the same, we give up.

He simply can't handle the regular standby line - it's too crowded, it's too loud, it's too dark, it's too scary, mostly I don't even know what it is too much of...but then he starts to panic and have a meltdown. He is strong, he does something to his body that makes it completely impossible to grab ahold of him - seriously if he could teach other kids how to do this no kids could ever possibly be kidnapped.

Please don't think I'm picking on you, but your posts just keep sticking in my mind. I know you are upset about the changes and can understand that, but it seems like what you are saying is that the only thing that will work for you is a GAC that lets your 5 y/o get immediately on every ride whenever he wants to, so he won't have a melt down. If he is anything like my 3 y/o grand daughter with autism, he may want to ride the same ride over and over and over. What would you do if he loved a ride so much, he wouldn't get off of it? Should your family get to ride over and over, just so he dosn't have a melt down? If WDW offered a GAC like you want, your family of eight could ride say Toy Story Mania over and over and over and over, cutting in front of all those little kids that have been waiting over an hour to ride it once. How would that be fair? Why should he be allowed to cut in front of them even once, making their wait longer? Waiting an equal amount of time in a quieter environment would be fair to all.

I have seven grand kids. The 16 y/o is normal, so is the 7 y/o, then the younger ones came in rapid succession, with my D-I-L's being pregnant not just once but twice at the same time. My 4 y/o grandson is normal, but my 4 y/o grand daughter who is just six weeks younger has very severe ADHD. My 3 y/o grand daughter is moderately autistic. My 2 1/2 y/o grand daughter has Zellweger's syndrome and is blind, deaf, has multiple allergies, lots of liver damage, poor muscle tone, and if she ever walks, it won't be for another year or so after lots of PT, but the doctors are saying she probably won't live past her fifth birthday, then we have my youngest grandson who is also 2 y/o and just 4 months younger than her and is normal. My elder son's so called normal 2 y/o and 4 y/o sons don't like standing in lines anymore than my younger son's 2 y/o daughter with Zellwegers, or 4 y/o daughter who has ADHD, or 3 y/o daughter who is autistic. Yet according to what you are saying, my younger son's family should be able to get a GAC to cut in front of everybody and be able to ride rides over and over, and be able to tour the parks in half a day, then be able to go back to the resort to swim, while their 2 y/o and 4 y/o cousins have to stand in hour long lines all day, just because they are classified as normal? I feel sorry for anyone with a handicapped child (and again my younger son has three of them, plus one so called normal 7 y/o), but a GAC is meant to give equal, not better access. That would not be fair to all those so called normal kids, who are stuck in lines all day. I'm sorry but a GAC to let your family of eight cut to the front of the line, while other families are stuck in an hour line would just not be fair. Now saying that, I also don't know what Disney could do to make sure your family was able to get an equal experience, other than giving you a time to come back that equals the time others are having to wait and allowing you to wait in a quieter area. I really wish Disney would offer a paid Express pass. I would gladly pay it both for my three grandkids who are handicapped and have trouble waiting in lines and also for my four grandkids that are so called normal, but still don't understand why they have to wait (well the 16 y/o, 7 y/o, and one of the 4 y/o's does, but the 2 y/o wouldn't).

opps duplicate,

but my long winded point was that equal access is fair, but preferred front of the line access is not and GACs were never meant to shorten waits.

This is a very touching story. I know exactly how that mother felt. That was so very kind of you and I know it really made a difference in that family's trip.
It is so unthoughtful of people to be impatient at the bus stop/in life/on vacation when waiting for somebody who has special needs. I bet most don't know how hurtful it can be to the person, and the others don't care. I hope the next time you are there someone can do something kind for you the way you did for that family. :thumbsup2 I know that anyone would choose to walk through Disney if that was option for them and I wish more people would be understanding of that.

Thank you for your kind words. I would like to read up about Autism so I can educate myself about it. I think even if we don't have children directly influenced we all should be aware to facilitate life for parents and the people themselves. I am glad you posted because pp upset me by saying I undid months worth of work. I did ask the parent and I never meant any harm. Me and my partner were not gifted children but we do know they are all the be cherished every single one of them a joy. I only wanted to help. I am sorry if I did harm :-(

Thank you for your kind words. I would like to read up about Autism so I can educate myself about it. I think even if we don't have children directly influenced we all should be aware to facilitate life for parents and the people themselves. I am glad you posted because pp upset me by saying I undid months worth of work. I did ask the parent and I never meant any harm. My and my partner were gifted children but we do know they are all the be cherished every single one of them a joy. I only wanted to help. I am sorry if I did harm :-(

I think that if you had handed it over without asking the mum (or asked in such a way that it was obvious to the son), you could have risked harm. However, since you didn't, I think what you did was lovely and I don't see how you could have harmed him.

It sounds like the mother really appreciated your actions.

Thank you for your kind words. I would like to read up about Autism so I can educate myself about it. I think even if we don't have children directly influenced we all should be aware to facilitate life for parents and the people themselves. I am glad you posted because pp upset me by saying I undid months worth of work. I did ask the parent and I never meant any harm. Me and my partner were not gifted children but we do know they are all the be cherished every single one of them a joy. I only wanted to help. I am sorry if I did harm :-(

As the mother of a child with autism I was touched by your story. You did the right thing by checking with the mother first before offering the child something. That should be done with any child. If the mother was worried about undoing months of work she would have said no. Depending on the level of meltdown with my son, nothing is lost or gained by trying to reason with him. We have given in at times with no harm done. The battle with the child is much easier without a hundred judgemental eyes staring. Even parents of typical kids give in sometime just to "shut the kid up" (for lack of better words) in a public setting.

What you did was sweet and kind. That mother is probably still so grateful for the kind stranger with the Mickey. Don't let naysayers discourage you from acting from your heart in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter