GAC changes and Fast Pass Return Question

wdwhappyplace

Earning My Ears
Regarding GAC cards: I understand that there are times when a fast pass return will be given because there is a full line, but given the abuse of these cards, has there been an increase in this practice at Disney World? This is the first year I can not go without the assistance of the card, but my problem is an "invisible" one. It will take all of my stamina and tolerance of nerve pain and muscle spasms just to get to the ride the first time. I do not think I can continue to go if I have to get to the ride, just to go away and come back. I have to walk some to prevent spasms, etc..., but will ask for the card to cut down on the time standing and walking. Will use a scooter part of the time but not have it always. This has been our happy place for many years, but I am terrified that now my physical problems and how Disney practices may change in response to abuses - might take it away.

WDW's answer to stamina and mobility difficulties is to tell you to rent a WC or ECV. Also, I think WDW is not giving the returns on a regular basis right now (that isn't to say that they won't be doing it by the time you go, though.)

It is best to rent from an outside vendor. Read the FAQs at the top of the disABILITIES board to get a lot of factual information.

Regarding GAC cards: I understand that there are times when a fast pass return will be given because there is a full line, but given the abuse of these cards, has there been an increase in this practice at Disney World? This is the first year I can not go without the assistance of the card, but my problem is an "invisible" one. It will take all of my stamina and tolerance of nerve pain and muscle spasms just to get to the ride the first time. I do not think I can continue to go if I have to get to the ride, just to go away and come back. I have to walk some to prevent spasms, etc..., but will ask for the card to cut down on the time standing and walking. Will use a scooter part of the time but not have it always. This has been our happy place for many years, but I am terrified that now my physical problems and how Disney practices may change in response to abuses - might take it away.

I think you are going to have to keep your scooter with you most of the time. I get that you have to park it sometimes and get up and move - you say "our" happy place. If someone is with you, there is nothing wrong with having that person drive the scooter while you walk.

I can say it is somewhere around "unlikely" you will be given a GAC to reduce standing or walking, but that has nothing to do with the current "abuse" scandal - Disney has long been cutting down on giving out GACs for mobility or stamina concerns. It sounds like your scooter should be able to help you cut down on walking. Is there a reason you do not use it or have it with you all the time?

There is no GAC to cut down on walking, standing, or waiting. And it is possible you may get a return pass or be asked to get a FP, depending on the times available.

We just returned from Disney World. I asked for the GAC by explaining my physical issues. The Guest Services employee was quick and helpful and issued a GAC. He explained how it might help and also the limitations of it. I used it when I physically needed it and did not abuse it at other times. I use a scooter most of the time, but I need to walk a little before I get on a ride. It takes a little walking to work through my stiffness and pain to a level that allows me to enjoy the ride. The one time I did not do this, I experienced intense pain from just the one step up to get into the ride. I was halfway through the ride before the pain lessened enough for me to breathe. A combination of the scooter and the GAC allowed me to participate in 80% of what my family did for the week. Without them, that probably would have been reduced to 20%. I appreciate what I learned through these boards. It has been a difficult journey these past few years. Disney is still my Happy Place.

I use a scooter most of the time, but I need to walk a little before I get on a ride. It takes a little walking to work through my stiffness and pain to a level that allows me to enjoy the ride. The one time I did not do this, I experienced intense pain from just the one step up to get into the ride. I was halfway through the ride before the pain lessened enough for me to breathe. A combination of the scooter and the GAC allowed me to participate in 80% of what my family did for the week.
It's posts like these that remind me of how individual everyone's needs are. Disney does a great job, I think, at this. Glad you had a good time!!

We just returned from Disney World. I asked for the GAC by explaining my physical issues. The Guest Services employee was quick and helpful and issued a GAC. He explained how it might help and also the limitations of it. I used it when I physically needed it and did not abuse it at other times. I use a scooter most of the time, but I need to walk a little before I get on a ride. It takes a little walking to work through my stiffness and pain to a level that allows me to enjoy the ride. The one time I did not do this, I experienced intense pain from just the one step up to get into the ride. I was halfway through the ride before the pain lessened enough for me to breathe. A combination of the scooter and the GAC allowed me to participate in 80% of what my family did for the week. Without them, that probably would have been reduced to 20%. I appreciate what I learned through these boards. It has been a difficult journey these past few years. Disney is still my Happy Place.

It's good to hear your response was so positive. I have similar issues with muscle spasms and also very stiff muscles and I've been told a hundred times that Disney will not give me a GAC. This was a big worry for me as a wheelchair simply just isn't a solution in my case. It's good to hear that Disney are still able to give help for physical issues like yours and mine. :thumbsup2 Sometimes I have to admit, I feel people are almost being scared away from trying to obtain a GAC!

It's good to hear your response was so positive. I have similar issues with muscle spasms and also very stiff muscles and I've been told a hundred times that Disney will not give me a GAC. This was a big worry for me as a wheelchair simply just isn't a solution in my case. It's good to hear that Disney are still able to give help for physical issues like yours and mine. :thumbsup2 Sometimes I have to admit, I feel people are almost being scared away from trying to obtain a GAC!

We never mean to scare anyone off from getting a GAC, but we do want people aware that if they have stamina or mobility concerns, they will definitely have to give more details or explain their needs more fully. The PP explained that yes, a wheelchair or scooter can get them from point A to point B, but the wheelchair causes pain and they need to walk before getting on a ride - that makes some sense and explains why a wheelchair does not fully meet their needs.

That is what Disney is looking for - even when I renew my GAC (which I have had for nearly 3 years running), I often have them try to deny me a renewal because I use a wheelchair, so therefore my needs are met. I have to explain again all my needs other than my mobility problems (anxiety, social phobias, both "numbers" of incontinence, panic attacks, and my fragility of body), and then they renew my pass.

Unfortunately, there is still no clear uniformity in how CMs react, no matter how they are trained. So, when they say I do not need my GAC because I have a wheelchair, I have to explain why my wheelchair does not meet all my needs. I admit sometimes they renew my GAC grudgingly, but I care little why they renew it - just so long as they do.

We never mean to scare anyone off from getting a GAC, but we do want people aware that if they have stamina or mobility concerns, they will definitely have to give more details or explain their needs more fully. The PP explained that yes, a wheelchair or scooter can get them from point A to point B, but the wheelchair causes pain and they need to walk before getting on a ride - that makes some sense and explains why a wheelchair does not fully meet their needs.

That is what Disney is looking for - even when I renew my GAC (which I have had for nearly 3 years running), I often have them try to deny me a renewal because I use a wheelchair, so therefore my needs are met. I have to explain again all my needs other than my mobility problems (anxiety, social phobias, both "numbers" of incontinence, panic attacks, and my fragility of body), and then they renew my pass.

Unfortunately, there is still no clear uniformity in how CMs react, no matter how they are trained. So, when they say I do not need my GAC because I have a wheelchair, I have to explain why my wheelchair does not meet all my needs. I admit sometimes they renew my GAC grudgingly, but I care little why they renew it - just so long as they do.

Oh, of course I understand that! It's still a little scary however, as someone who has no idea of how the GAC works, mostly because they're system seems more complicated then most parks - So it's good to hear when people's needs are met positively. :thumbsup2 This is Disney afterall, aren't they known for how helpful and accessible they are?

I think this thread is a good example of why it is good to share our experiences and to learn from them. I was so saddened when I thought that my growing physical problems would take away my happy place. Sometimes I would read the forums and be encouraged, sometimes I would be frightened or saddened. In the end, I was better informed and determined to hang on and try to make it work. Our needs are all so, so, different. It seems from a previous post here that you understand that I need to walk a little just before the ride to "work out" the pain and stiffness. Also, I feel trapped and claustrophobic in the ECV in certain situations. I feel that Disney currently does a good job of trying to help those with true disabilities. However, I am concerned about possible future changes with the fastpass scheduling and GAC so I would like to share my experience with Disney regarding the ECV's, GAC, etc. What is the best email or address for this?

We are Disneyworld regulars, but just got back from Disneyland. We spent two days at California Adventure and one day at Disneyland and we did get a GAC. We experienced the disability fastpass scenario on the more popular rides at CA. Toy Story and Carsland. At Toy Story our disability fast pass was 1/2 hour later, so we just sat on the bench. At Carsland Speed Racers our Disability fastpass was for 1 hour so we just stayed in carsland and rested. It worked well for us. At Disneyland we had his wheelchair so we just followed the directions for each ride.
Note* The Cm's called the fast pass a concession fast pass and you had to show your GAC to get one. This experience was in California.
Michele

I continue to be baffled about why they built the newer DCA rides the way they did. I can understand older rides not being able to be easily retrofitted for HA. But while they were building RSR, they knew that Disney parks have become a destination for people with disabilities. They knew that Disney Parks have a commitment to, and a reputation for, accommodating disabilities. They knew the number of GAC's that were dispensed during any given period, And still they chose to make HA through the Fastpass queue instead of either making the regular queue more accessible or making a third accessible entrance, and then acted all shocked about the wait times and the number of PWD's coming through the fastpass line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter