FYI: Shutters CDs now include boarders ... :(

It should be an option. They should have duplicates in there. One with and one without the border. Or they should have a site that only Shutters guests can access and modify their pictures like photo pass.

I have NEVER gotten the discs but my experience just with purchasing the regular photos has been:
The white photos don't have borders anyway. They just have a little "stamp" with the ship name. Same with the formal photos, Just a little stamp in the corner.

That being said, I have seen just as many people complain in the past that when they got the discs they were upset that there were NOT borders as the case USED to be.

So there is no pleasing everyone I guess. There will always be a complaint :)
I will just stick to limiting myself to a package. We have always gotten plenty, and any projects I wanted to do with the photos, I just scanned them into my computer and edited them to the size I needed.

Actually, there IS a way to please everyone, and it isn't that difficult. Include both! I know when my sister got married, she got a disk from the photographer. One set of photos had watermarks on them for use on the internet. The other set was plain, for her own personal use. I don't see how it would be that hard or cost-prohibitive.

Or as someone mentioned before, having a dedicated website ala PhotoPass could be an option as well.

I have NEVER gotten the discs but my experience just with purchasing the regular photos has been:
The white photos don't have borders anyway. They just have a little "stamp" with the ship name. Same with the formal photos, Just a little stamp in the corner.

That being said, I have seen just as many people complain in the past that when they got the discs they were upset that there were NOT borders as the case USED to be.

So there is no pleasing everyone I guess. There will always be a complaint :)
I will just stick to limiting myself to a package. We have always gotten plenty, and any projects I wanted to do with the photos, I just scanned them into my computer and edited them to the size I needed.

OK - so someone with the disk... does your white background pictures have more than just the little stamp with the ship name? Thanks!

I still vote to completely remove shutters from all the boats and replace it with a disney operated photopass system. I personally can't stand the way shutters is set up or run - printing out thousands of photos is such a waste!! most of them end up in the "trash" bin! Everything is automated and I can't begin to tell you how many of those "lovely" borders cut off important parts of our photos. On an 8-night sailing we walked off the ship with ONE whole photo - and I wasn't even happy with that, if it wasn't for the fact that my grandmother HAD TO HAVE one with the backdrop we would have had 0 photos from shutters.

My photo photos just have a stamp in the bottom corners.

Funny - we were happy that the photos on the CD included the borders.

I still vote to completely remove shutters from all the boats and replace it with a disney operated photopass system. I personally can't stand the way shutters is set up or run - printing out thousands of photos is such a waste!! most of them end up in the "trash" bin! Everything is automated and I can't begin to tell you how many of those "lovely" borders cut off important parts of our photos. On an 8-night sailing we walked off the ship with ONE whole photo - and I wasn't even happy with that, if it wasn't for the fact that my grandmother HAD TO HAVE one with the backdrop we would have had 0 photos from shutters.

THIS!!!!! I agree with this a billion percent!

There were several photos I liked, but I'm NOT willing to pay their prices with such inflexibility.

vickxo said:

Totally agree. I NEVER looked for our photos in that crazy mess. Such a time waster. There were so many photos posted to look through that it was actually overwhelming. I waited until they got uploaded on the kiosk. Seems like they should just have kiosks all over the ship, a way to have you look at them from your room or online later when you get home to order them.

Seems like they should just have kiosks all over the ship, a way to have you look at them from your room or online later when you get home to order them.

Yes!! I'd love the option to see them in the privacy of my room! And thanks OP, you just saved me $300! I had full intentions of buying the CD, and was excited that it would include borders, but not if there is a chance the photo is not usable. They are charging the price of a professional photographer, but giving the quality of a Walmart print shop.

I could have swore we looked at some photos on the TV in our room on the Dream March 2011......

Am I imagining this? Was this something they tested in the early cruises and did away with? It just seems very familiar to me.

Seems like they should just have kiosks all over the ship, a way to have you look at them from your room or online later when you get home to order them.

Yes!! I'd love the option to see them in the privacy of my room! And thanks OP, you just saved me $300! I had full intentions of buying the CD, and was excited that it would include borders, but not if there is a chance the photo is not usable. They are charging the price of a professional photographer, but giving the quality of a Walmart print shop.

:cutie:I would also like to thank the OP on this one! Our Halloween cruise on the Wonder next month will be our first DC ever and I was already budgeting to purchase the photo CD. Not now! I am in the "No Borders" boat, so to speak. I do my scrapbooking digitally so I love to add my own borders IF I choose. The possibility about spending so much money on a CD of photos that may cut off a family members face due to border placement is insane to me! We all work very hard for our money and want to get the best value for it, especially on vacation! :cutie:

Great comments from a great board of folks :love:, keep them coming!

I, too, would prefer a PhotoPass situation. BUT believe you me, the way they do the photos now gets them more people buying photos. There is the "well it is already printed on this lovely glossy paper, so I don't have to figure out how to print it" thing for the grandparents and non-tech savvy. There is the "but it will go to waste, and it IS a nice photo" guilt pressure (yes this works on many people). There is the "Look at all those gorgeous photos of happy kids and families! Hey, we should go get some photos taken sometime..." sales tactic for people who might be convinced to stand in a line and buy a photo who wasn't planning on it. And much more. There is marketing techniques built into the current system I don't think they will soon give up.

Thanks so much for the info. I have bought a photopass cd for our last 7 trips to Disney World. And just assumed that I would be buying a cd on our first cruise. But it doesn't sound like I will now.

Now I love borders. I spend hours at home after our trips adding borders and cropping and adding more borders and then changing borders and so on. I end up with at least triple the number of pictures because of all the borders. But I want that control. There are alot of times when borders don't work, they cut off someone or they just don't look good. So for them to not give us an option is crazy. If they aren't going to give us the control to put our own borders on, then they should at least include a non-border and bordered pic on the cd. That isn't really that much more work.

I can't wait to find out if anything changes before my cruise. But if it doesn't, it just means I will have money to spend on Christmas presents this year, instead of spending the money on the cruise extras.

Just bought the photo CD on our Fantasy cruise in August and wanted to point out that once you import it to your computer, you can edit it and crop the borders out if you wish. That's what I did. Some of the obnoxious borders, I just cropped out and saved a copy of it with and without borders. Worked for me...

kellimomo3 said:
Just bought the photo CD on our Fantasy cruise in August and wanted to point out that once you import it to your computer, you can edit it and crop the borders out if you wish. That's what I did. Some of the obnoxious borders, I just cropped out and saved a copy of it with and without borders. Worked for me...

If the border cut parts of people off, can you remove the border and get the whole picture back?

If the border cut parts of people off, can you remove the border and get the whole picture back?

I have never had any thing cut off by the borders other than a hand, which didn't diminish the look of the photo in anyway whatsoever. Even on the photos we chose not to purchase.

We buy more of the formal type photos which do not have borders anyway.

The ones with "tacky" borders seem to be the more fun souviner photos anyway. I mean, if my kids have their photo taken with Mickey-the border just makes it more fun. I don't hang those types of photos in a grand entrance anyway. All our castaway cay photos have the borders but I think it just adds to the fun.

mammacaryn said:
I have never had any thing cut off by the borders other than a hand, which didn't diminish the look of the photo in anyway whatsoever. Even on the photos we chose not to purchase.

We buy more of the formal type photos which do not have borders anyway.

The ones with "tacky" borders seem to be the more fun souviner photos anyway. I mean, if my kids have their photo taken with Mickey-the border just makes it more fun. I don't hang those types of photos in a grand entrance anyway. All our castaway cay photos have the borders but I think it just adds to the fun.

Oh so you had some pictures without borders on your CD? I got the impression from that all of them had borders.

Oh so you had some pictures without borders on your CD? I got the impression from that all of them had borders.

I have never gotten a cd. The photos from formal night and the white backdrops do not come with borders to begin with. They have just a small stamp that says the ship name and sometimes the date.

I can't imagine they would add a border to something that didn't have a border to begin with. :)

mammacaryn said:
I have never gotten a cd. The photos from formal night and the white backdrops do not come with borders to begin with. They have just a small stamp that says the ship name and sometimes the date.

I can't imagine they would add a border to something that didn't have a border to begin with. :)
Can the user who bought the CD please confirm or deny this? I don't understand why they would add a border to something that didn't have one either. :(

Can the user who bought the CD please confirm or deny this? I don't understand why they would add a border to something that didn't have one either. :(

I jt riewed the photos from our CD from the 5 night Canada cruise and the border situation is as follows:

Embarkation Photo - No border but graphic superimposed across top (itinerary info) and bottom (New York and a pic of Minnie as Statue of Liberty)

White Background "Lifestyle Photos" - No border but small logo in bottom right hand corner with Disney Magic over the cruiseline logo. - Easy to remove.

Restaurant Photos including Palo - border including characters (Animators Palette) or frame design (PAlo) with ship name and sail dates.

Princess Gathering Character Photos - Full Border. Purple with stars, ship name in lower left corner and sail date in top right.

Other Character Photos - No border but ship name in bottom corner

Backdrops (formal night \ black backdrop \ sunset etc...) as above No border but ship name in lower right hand corner.

Hope this helps. For what it is worth I too would much prefer the option of having BOTH sets or the old style of no borders much better - it WILL make me consider not having the CD for our trip next summer.

Mel
x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter