• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI, passports are taking between 5-6 months right now

Applied for 17-year old daughter's on 8/12, received 10/25. They said "up to 18 weeks" when we applied. Ended up being about 10 weeks. I'm not quite sure whether hers was considered a renewal or a new one. She has had a passport in the past but it was the child's version (expires every 5 years). The new one is her first adult passport (expires in 10 years).

Last edited:
My mother applied for her passport Aug 31. The one she had expired 20 years ago plus she had been divorced, remarried, and changed her name. Her's came back in about 4 weeks. We were shocked.

My DH needed a new passport, his expired and was also chewed by our dog...We applied in person on 9/29/21 and they posted they received it on 10/2/21. On 10/28/21, we received the new passport. We did NOT pay for expedited, and they told us it would be 16 weeks for processing.

My DH needed a new passport, his expired and was also chewed by our dog...We applied in person on 9/29/21 and they posted they received it on 10/2/21. On 10/28/21, we received the new passport. We did NOT pay for expedited, and they told us it would be 16 weeks for processing.

That's crazy fast.

We have to apply again for DD's passport since they left her middle name off of it. We'll have to do it around Christmas time since she's at college. It's so frustrating that it's a whole new application so we will be paying for it twice.

DD20 just applied for her first on 10/1 and received it 11/1. We were pleasantly surprised. She needs it in May so we were planning ahead in case.

So mine didn’t expire until early next year, but over the summer I renewed it and did the expedited shipping (basically would take 1-2 days after being created). Imagine my surprise when on week 5 of the 8-12 week waiting period my new pass port came in the mail (the old one didn’t arrive until 3 weeks later 😂). So I recommend if it needs to be renewed or a new one, you do it over 6 months prior to expiration/trip

That's crazy fast.

We have to apply again for DD's passport since they left her middle name off of it. We'll have to do it around Christmas time since she's at college. It's so frustrating that it's a whole new application so we will be paying for it twice.

We were surprised by how fast it came! I thought maybe since it was technically a renewal it went faster, but honestly who knows.

DH and I applied for our first passports on 9/30, and received them today (11/5). We used expedited processing just in case. We have a 25th year anniversary trip in March.

Point taken too late. I sent mine off for renewal a month ago. Just got a reply asking for a better photo. Gonna take forever!

Had kids first passport applications processed at local library 10/16. Checks were cashed 10/21. Passports arrived 11/5. Did not expedite or pay for priority shipping.

Just as a comparison - here in Sydney, Australia my husband needed to renew his passport whilst our 14yo son needed a new one (kids passports are never renewed in Australia as they change so much over the 5yr term).

The applications were processed at the Passport office on a quick turnaround basis (which basically costs almost double the usual fee) at 10am Thursday morning.

Our son’s was ready for collection at 2pm same day and my husband’s was ready 9.30am the following day.

While doing the online form to renew our passports (trip isn't until July), I did find this nugget that might help someone:

I mailed my passport renewal application on June 28- non-expedited. I received my new passport on October 16. It took about 16-18 weeks from date of mailing. It seems like it's going a lot faster now though especially for non-expedited and I have heard that new child passports are being processed quickly. The next step is to connect my new passport number with my global entry. I tried doing it on the website a week ago and received an error message however I am told that it takes a couple of weeks for the system to sync with new passport information so I am going to try again soon.

While doing the online form to renew our passports (trip isn't until July), I did find this nugget that might help someone:
View attachment 620577

Yeah when we renewed dh's passport in person they kept asking if we were sure we didn't have a trip planned... we don't have anything set in stone but hope for next year. But they kept asking that question over and over.

Yeah when we renewed dh's passport in person they kept asking if we were sure we didn't have a trip planned... we don't have anything set in stone but hope for next year. But they kept asking that question over and over.

I guess because there is a question on the form about when you are traveling. It might throw them off if nothing is listed LOL. I always put in a travel date even when we don't have a trip booked. I think when they process they take into consideration trip dates.

I guess because there is a question on the form about when you are traveling. It might throw them off if nothing is listed LOL. I always put in a travel date even when we don't have a trip booked. I think when they process they take into consideration trip dates.

I wish we could set a date. We are waiting for the borders to where we want to go to open up and it has to be after I graduate nursing school. So we haven't set a date, but we are hopeful to go next year. I was also afraid next year it would be a lot busier for getting a passport.

We turned in our documents to USPS on Oct 12th. Yesterday, our passport books were delivered. Just under 7 weeks. Did not pay for expedited or fast ship. (first time passport holders)

Still waiting on our passport cards (we got both, just in case, and it was cheaper to do them together at the same time) and our document return.

Super quick turn around. 10/10 would get passports again. :rotfl2:

I've got a passport appointment set up after Christmas for the whole family...not actually looking to travel internationally next year, but want the pic IDs for the kids (b/c vaccine passport places want photo IDs for the arts) and I am planning to go somewhere in 2023...and this way, I can not worry when they show up...

Just as a comparison - here in Sydney, Australia my husband needed to renew his passport whilst our 14yo son needed a new one (kids passports are never renewed in Australia as they change so much over the 5yr term).

The applications were processed at the Passport office on a quick turnaround basis (which basically costs almost double the usual fee) at 10am Thursday morning.

Our son’s was ready for collection at 2pm same day and my husband’s was ready 9.30am the following day.

We have that service here for an extra fee BUT you have to go to a regional US Passport office. Luckily we live in one of those cities and have used the service twice when we got caught off guard that passports had expired. DH didn't keep track (crazy because he used all the time) and DD because we didn't realize her child one didn't last as long as our adult ones. DH had his in a about 36 hours and DD had hers in a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter