• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FW Early Check In

wesintx

Earning My Ears
We have a trip planned in March, this will be our 10th trip to WDW and our 9th to FW. We always plan a day at EPCOT on our arrival day, but due to the shortened hours we wanted to get checked in and the 5er setup sooner so that we could have more time in the park that day. Have anyone ever had issues arriving around 11a and not having your spot ready for check in? I know we could park in the overflow and unhitch but we travel with our 2 Boston Terriers and leaving them in the trailer is not an option. Thanks in advance.

"It depends", Wes.

Everyone arriving at the Fort has a campsite number that is pre-assigned before they show up based on what should be available that day. In this no-contact covid environment, Disney wants you to use the Early Check-in option in MDE, load in your credit card to pay the balance due when you arrive, and specify an estimated time of arrival. When the pre-assigned campsite is vacant, cleaned, and prepped, you will get a text message (if you loaded a cell number in MDE) and it will show your "room" number in MDE when it's available.

Let's assume you booked a Full campsite. You've done the Early Check-in but no text has arrived yet as you pull in at 11am. The guard will verify you are on the arrival list, let you in and either send you to a check-in lane if open or direct you to overflow. If you get a lane and pull up to talk to a CM (or park in overflow and walk in the lobby), you can ask for ANY/next available Full since you are already there. One that was pre-assigned to somebody else and ready but their text has not been sent yet can be swapped to you and you can take it. It depends on if you preferred a specific loop or site(s) and are you willing to wait on that preference or just get in and set up (which is what it sounds like).

The CM will check your site's status, check what's immediately available in your site class. Even in this situation I've had to wait especially when the Fort is busy with check-ins and check-outs (Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays). Time of year is a busy factor too (holidays, spring break, etc.). So even if you are flexible you may still have to wait as I did. But they will likely offer you an available or next available site.

Once a text goes out to an arriving guest, they are "checked in". I've seen empty sites sit vacant for hours into the afternoon and when I asked to be swapped to it, I was denied because the text had already gone out. My advice is to get to the Fort as early as you can in the morning so you can have a wider selection of "first available" sites in your class before the texts go out. You'll get swapped over and can drive down and start the set-up and the guest who it was pre-assigned to will never know that the swap took place.

Have a great trip!

Bama Ed

PS - as someone who generally arrives about 7am and prefers specific loops and even sites within those loops, I've played this game many times. Be polite with the CMs and they can really be helpful.

PPS - love the Boston Terriers with those big ears and little pug faces :)

Thanks for the info Ed.

That's about how I figured it be. I have completed the early check in already, specified my arrival time, and put in my cell for the text. Like I said we have been a good number of times, but never arrived this early and tried this.

When you have arrived that early, 7am, how long did you have to wait?

Wes

When you have arrived that early, 7am, how long did you have to wait?

Wes

Well, as I said above, it depends. :rotfl2:

But the reality has been a mix of course. I'm one of those people who puts in a request for a loop (Preferred level mostly so I request loop 100) and in that I have about five sites (out of 27) that I ask for when I arrive. But if none of those five are available, I will take anything in 100. I've been offered a site in 200 (also Preferred) but chose to wait for anything in 100.

My worst experience was one of my five requested sites in 100 that had a guest on it who was scheduled to leave on my arrival day. I got it swapped over to to me and waited for the text by 11am indicating the guest had left and the site had been clean and prepped. It never came. I bussed down to 100 to look at the site. RV still on it and making no preparations to leave. So I called the Fort front desk. And they phoned the guest on their cell phone. And the guest decided to extend their stay and remain on the site a few more days (there were available Preferred sites for the next several nights). So I had to take what I could get (only 200 remained available by that time) and then moved to 100 loop the next day after one night in 200.

Once or twice I've been able to roll right down and set up immediately in 100 (first available in 100) but that's rare because that generally means a site sat empty overnight which is rare in 100 since it's in high demand. Usually, though, by 10am I can get my site for all the reasons outlined above (like getting my request for a site in with the CM before most of the texts have gone out to that day's arrivals).

So it generally works for me but every experience is different. YMMV. Besides, my arrival day never has a park planned - I use it to set up and enjoy the ambiance of the Fort. If you don't care about what loop and/or what site, your general wait will be null or shorter. For folks like me who do care, I'm willing to wait more.

Whatever. :confused3

Bama Ed

Last edited:

We were able to roll right in for our October stay. Our prior stays our site was not ready arriving after 10am. Again. Just depends.

Out of the prefered ed, you like 100 the best?
Well, as I said above, it depends. :rotfl2:

But the reality has been a mix of course. I'm one of those people who puts in a request for a loop (Preferred level mostly so I request loop 100) and in that I have about five sites (out of 27) that I ask for when I arrive. But if none of those five are available, I will take anything in 100. I've been offered a site in 200 (also Preferred) but chose to wait for anything in 100.

My worst experience was one of my five requested sites in 100 that had a guest on it who was scheduled to leave on my arrival day. I got it swapped over to to me and waited for the text by 11am indicating the guest had left and the site had been clean and prepped. It never came. I bussed down to 100 to look at the site. RV still on it and making no preparations to leave. So I called the Fort front desk. And they phoned the guest on their cell phone. And the guest decided to extend their stay and remain on the site a few more days (there were available Preferred sites for the next several nights). So I had to take what I could get (only 200 remained available by that time) and then moved to 100 loop the next day after one night in 200.

Once or twice I've been able to roll right down and set up immediately in 100 (first available in 100) but that's rare because that generally means a site sat empty overnight which is rare in 100 since it's in high demand. Usually, though, by 10am I can get my site for all the reasons outlined above (like getting my request for a site in with the CM before most of the texts have gone out to that day's arrivals).

So it generally works for me but every experience is different. YMMV. Besides, my arrival day never has a park planned - I use it to set up and enjoy the ambiance of the Fort. If you don't care about what loop and/or what site, your general wait will be null or shorter. For folks like me who do care, I'm willing to wait more.

Whatever. :confused3

Bama Ed

Out of the prefered ed, you like 100 the best?

I do, Sjm9911. Not sure if I was clear on that earlier. Since you are asking, it may have been unclear.

There is data of course to support my position so I can do power point slides, a lecture series, reasons to choose 100 with bullet points (h/t to the Rusty Scupper with his bullet points), pictures, and the inescapable conclusion is, of course, 100 is the Preferred loop to choose.

Wax poetic, I can, on the reasons why I like 100 loop. Of course the reasons are specific to me and may not apply to you (or anyone with a 45-footer) so YMMV.

Just say the word and I can deliver a lecture that is well worth the cost of admission.

Bama Ed

PS - just got a new loco. And it's green. I am over the MOON happy! 🚂

Congrats on the loco.
I am staying in prefered this year. So if you say 100 loop, im in. Ill try to get in there. My camper is only 30 or so feet when extended. So i think ill fix ok.

Congrats on the loco.
I am staying in prefered this year. So if you say 100 loop, im in. Ill try to get in there. My camper is only 30 or so feet when extended. So i think ill fix ok.

I will send you a PM with my favorite sites and the reasons why. You are free to listen to my ravings or discard them. Some reasons may fit me more than they do you.

But my advice is - try not to check in on a Fri/Sat/Sun (which may be too late by now) but in any case get there as EARLY in the morning as you can (so you can play the Assignment Game). That's why I spend the night before at Lake Louisa State Park (FLA/ReserveAmerica). The earlier you can get to the Fort and negotiate, the better.
IconCool_zpsusdsvwyx.gif

Ed

Yes please, and ty.
I will send you a PM with my favorite sites and the reasons why. You are free to listen to my ravings or discard them. Some reasons may fit me more than they do you.

But my advice is - try not to check in on a Fri/Sat/Sun (which may be too late by now) but in any case get there as EARLY in the morning as you can (so you can play the Assignment Game). That's why I spend the night before at Lake Louisa State Park (FLA/ReserveAmerica). The earlier you can get to the Fort and negotiate, the better.
IconCool_zpsusdsvwyx.gif

Ed

I'll second the 100 Loop being my favorite. Like Ed, I have a fondness for being close to the Settlement with TE, P&Js, Crockett's and the trading post. We love that the marina and Settlement bus stop are an easy walk (no golf cart needed). The sounds... Don't get me (or Ed) going about being able to hear the boat whistles, EWP at night and even the train at MK (when it starts running again).

Sadly, my newish 42ft 5er doesn't really fit in a Preferred loop anymore. My former 31ft 5er was a perfect match.

j

I second (well, third) the 100 loop. we have a 32' bumper pull. was able to get in pretty easily at our last spot. not sure I'd be able to make some of the sites on the inside of the loop.

200 loop was fine too. but we liked 100 a bit more.

I'm interested in the 5 sites....need to compare notes.

We have only been to FW once, so consider the source on this response.

We stayed overnight at Lake Louisa SP the night before our arrival. We got up early and headed to WDW, arriving just after 8am. We expected to be directed to the overflow lot, but we got a text on the way there that our site was ready. I believe the text told us which site number, but I can't recall exactly. It was July 2019, and none of us were familiar with the current variety of cooties at that time, so we stopped and checked in at the drive-up check-in, where a nice young lady answered my plethora of questions.

Had we needed to park in the overflow, we would have put the refrigerator on propane and explored until the afternoon. We did not have any pets with us at that time.

Wax poetic, I can, on the reasons why I like 100 loop. Of course the reasons are specific to me and may not apply to you (or anyone with a 45-footer) so YMMV.

Just say the word and I can deliver a lecture that is well worth the cost of admission.

Bama Ed

Sounds like that might be a good fireside story for the June meet.

I second (well, third) the 100 loop. we have a 32' bumper pull. was able to get in pretty easily at our last spot. not sure I'd be able to make some of the sites on the inside of the loop.

200 loop was fine too. but we liked 100 a bit more.

I'm interested in the 5 sites....need to compare notes.

I am so excited to get a preferred site this time. I can't believe the location. It will be so much better after a long day at MK. As a TT newbie, my #1 criteria is easy of back in. I don't think size will be a problem on any site. (We have a 24 ft no slide TT.) What are your recommendations for the easiest/least embarrassing back in sites in 100 or 200 if necessary?
Thanks
Ps Is it rude to piggyback a question like this? If so I'm sorry & I can post individually in the future.

We ended up in the 200 loop.
This website is handy as a guide for ease of backing in. The only spot left in 100 when we arrived was in the interior and difficult to back into.

The person at check in gave us a list of what was available in 200 and we checked against the site below and made a choice.

https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/

Ps Is it rude to piggyback a question like this? If so I'm sorry & I can post individually in the future.
@Scherzermk,

I had to laugh at your piggybacking comment. It sounds like you have been reading the camping forum for a bit. We have a hard enough time staying remotely on topic. Stacking questions is fine and I'm sure many others have the same questions.

You will love the Preferred loops. They are my favorite. Being an easy walk to the Settlement and boat dock to MK is fantastic. I never considered getting a golf cart until I bought my latest 5er. Unfortunately it won't really fit in a preferred loop.

Loop 100 is my favorite. It is closest to the Settlement, but 200 isn't bad. We never stayed in 300, but it feels much farther away. Use the link WeLovePluto posted. There are also YouTube videos of all the loops out there. Everyone has their preferences on backing into sites. With a 24ft TT, I don't think you'll have any problems regardless of where you go. My old 5er was 31 ft plus a 23 ft truck. We fit on every 100/200 site we were assigned.

j

PS - as someone who generally arrives about 7am and prefers specific loops and even sites within those loops, I've played this game many times. Be polite with the CMs and they can really be helpful.

1) I am retired and a previous Concierge at FW.
2) Being ultra-Kind and uber-friendly goes a very long way.
3) Being polite and friendly gets you perks and favors.
4) Usually, we can swap sites without an issue.
5) No guarantee with the COVID changes, but usually doable.
. . . some policies and procedures have changed
. . . some for convenience, some for cost savings
. . . some for COVID compliance
6) The reverse is also true.
7) Be unkind, loud, angry, or unruly, and you get ZIP-NADA.
. . . wouldn't turn my back on a guest, but my ears hear nothing
. . . even if a request was doable, I would say "not possible"

NOTE:
WDW Concierge have more powers than you might think
I have . . .
. . . sent flowers, or baskets, or wine to guests for free
. . . sent stuffed animals to kids of guests for free
. . . gotten guests into sold-out eateries at prime times
. . . moved guests to a Club Floor room at no extra charge
. . . sent a resort van for guest pickup to make parkhopping easier
. . . moved guests to a room or site they liked or deeply wanted

1) I am retired and a previous Concierge at FW.
2) Being ultra-Kind and uber-friendly goes a very long way.
3) Being polite and friendly gets you perks and favors.
4) Usually, we can swap sites without an issue.
5) No guarantee with the COVID changes, but usually doable.
. . . some policies and procedures have changed
. . . some for convenience, some for cost savings
. . . some for COVID compliance
6) The reverse is also true.
7) Be unkind, loud, angry, or unruly, and you get ZIP-NADA.
. . . wouldn't turn my back on a guest, but my ears hear nothing
. . . even if a request was doable, I would say "not possible"

NOTE:
WDW Concierge have more powers than you might think
I have . . .
. . . sent flowers, or baskets, or wine to guests for free
. . . sent stuffed animals to kids of guests for free
. . . gotten guests into sold-out eateries at prime times
. . . moved guests to a Club Floor room at no extra charge
. . . sent a resort van for guest pickup to make parkhopping easier
. . . moved guests to a room or site they liked or deeply wanted

After hurricane Irma, we were at All Star Sports until the Fort opened. We asked very nicely what the Concierge could do to help us on the day we had to move from hotel to Fort, as we had reservations for The Train Tour at MK. He made sure we had a taxi to take us there in the morning. Moved our Fast passes, and added some to other days. And they helped us store our perishable foods during our stay.
The next fella came in behind me, screaming, cussing, and unhappy he could not be at the Fort. He got nothing extra...and no help.

So again, yes being nice and understanding went a long way in making that trip one of the best we have had, even with all that was down due to the Hurricane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter