Future of west coast runDisney

Since I've already traveled twice to do 10Ks at DL, I'd continue to do it. The January race is well timed for us since our kids have a four-day weekend already. But I get that it's close to WDW Marathon weekend.

I would consider doing a 5k/10k weekend only because I have yet to do a west coast race. That would actually help entice my husband to go with me and we could do the races in addition to going to the parks. It does bum me out for everyone if the races go away or if they take away the half marathon distance.

I'm local so I'd still do a Disney 10k here and there. Eliminating west coast half marathons would not entice me to drop the cash on an Orlando half trip, though.

If you look at the upcoming race event on the RunDisney facebook page, you will definitely see what we all suspect...no Light Side or Tink listed as future events:

SEP21
Disneyland® Paris Half Marathon Weekend
Sep 21 - Sep 24 · by Run Disney
Disneyland Paris
Marne-la-Vallée, France

NOV2
Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend
Nov 2 - Nov 5 ·
Walt Disney World
Orlando

NOV9
Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend
Nov 9 - Nov 12 · by Run Disney
Disneyland
Anaheim, CA

JAN3
Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna
Jan 3, 2018 - Jan 7, 2018 ·
Walt Disney World
Orlando

FEB22
Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend
Feb 22, 2018 - Feb 25, 2018 ·
Walt Disney World
Orlando

APR19
Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side at Walt Disney World
Apr 19, 2018 - Apr 22, 2018 · by Run Disney
Walt Disney World
Orlando

I also read a rumor from 2 months ago that said they are making way for a FULL Marathon in place of those two (Light, Tink)...I don't necessarily believe that, but it would be cool. Although getting rid of Light Side kills Kessel run so that sucks, and getting rid of Tink kills Pink C2C (which I wanted even though I'm a guy...more bling).
sigh

I also read a rumor from 2 months ago that said they are making way for a FULL Marathon in place of those two (Light, Tink)...I don't necessarily believe that, but it would be cool. Although getting rid of Light Side kills Kessel run so that sucks, and getting rid of Tink kills Pink C2C (which I wanted even though I'm a guy...more bling).
sigh

This, in combination with the rumors that half marathons are going to go away entirely, leaving just the 5k/10k at DL just underscore that we have absolutely no idea what's going on out there.

This, in combination with the rumors that half marathons are going to go away entirely, leaving just the 5k/10k at DL just underscore that we have absolutely no idea what's going on out there.
We know that something is going on though. :rotfl2:

sigh

As much as I'd love to run a full at Disneyland, I wonder about that rumor. Halfs are far more popular, judging by the fact that for WDW Marathon weekend, the half sells out much faster than the full, which is still open. I can't see DL adding a distance which traditionally doesn't sell out quickly in Florida. Maybe there are more marathoners on the West Coast, so who knows?

I've always thought that if I bite the bullet and run a full marathon that it would be at Disneyworld because you get the bonus of running through 4 different parks. So I think the feel of a west coast marathon would be it's own very different thing. It'd be a lot more like a local marathon with some DL miles thrown in the front half.
I'm guessing all final miles would have to be backstage because of space?
The biggest question is how awesome would the marathon to marathon challange medal end up being?

I've always thought that if I bite the bullet and run a full marathon that it would be at Disneyworld because you get the bonus of running through 4 different parks. So I think the feel of a west coast marathon would be it's own very different thing. It'd be a lot more like a local marathon with some DL miles thrown in the front half.
The biggest question is how awesome would the marathon to marathon challange medal end up being?
Ohhh a marathon challenge medal would be intense. While I like the weather in CA not having as many parks would be not nearly as exciting for a marathon. Unless it was a loop where the characters changed every time you ran through the parks.

Ohhh a marathon challenge medal would be intense. While I like the weather in CA not having as many parks would be not nearly as exciting for a marathon. Unless it was a loop where the characters changed every time you ran through the parks.

I would for reals sign on to run through a disney park over and over for a long duration. I wouldn't even care if it was repetitive. I do it anyways all the time in my own neighborhood. Rather be like "oh look, Space Mountain again" instead of "oh look, that random yellow house again"

Well I just got my "Thanks for Participating: email from rD for the DLR weekend and there was no option for early registration. While I am not surprised by any means, it's just another piece of the puzzle and I thought I would let you all know.

Sorry, I have a habit of spelling "when" incorrectly.

It's okay, we're here to help.

:rotfl2:

You guys are hilarious!

I'll throw my two cents in here, fwiw, as I've traveled for just a 10k race and for several halfs at and all sorts of various Disney race things.

I love disney West Coast Half marathons. I did Tink in Jan 2014 and Avengers in 2016. I prefer the park+local course over the park+Osceola/world drive courses. (Princess 2014 and several wine and dines). I did the light side 10k in Jan 16 and the dark side 10k in April 16 because I couldn't fit in half marathon training due to commitments but a 10k I could do. However this year I was planning to go Light side half + princess for my blue coast to coast.

Sadly I can't do either WDW marathon weekend or DL half Labor Day weekend ever bc of my work schedule. I am hoping the WDW marathon is still there when I retire! So if they take away all the other west coast halfs we may still go once or twice because DS is just starting to run and wants to do a 10k there. But I doubt we will go as often. When we did avengers we had diff people in our family running all three races. It was awesome. But the MLK weekend in DL worked perfectly for us. Tink definitely doesn't work timing wise anymore. But it was a very nicely themed weekend.

And I really have zero desire to run a half in Florida in April - princess is bad enough (100% humidity and 70* for my year).

Another thing disney should consider is $$$. It is hard to afford going to many races and I have definitely gotten to the point of picking and choosing and alternating. Maybe they should alternate theme years. As in: 2018 Star Wars, 2019 Tink. Then they could do the alternate on the east coast: 2018 princess, 2019 Star Wars dark side. Have the special challenge medals be across two years and if they keep the timing right, they could get people to buy AP's for the two trips which we ALL know ends up in us going more than 2x!!!! And it helps lock in future revenue. And they have less overhead bc it's 2 races per year vs four for those themes. I personally would like to see them keep avengers and wine and dine but somehow spread them out so I could do both! They are my favorite.

And finally I just wanted to say that after seeing how much construction is going on at WDW not just at Hollywood studios for Star Wars but the infrastructure for the crowd influx they expect, I think disney is also considering that. Sadly after being at pandora last month I don't see wine anddine coming back to nighttime until hype for that dies down. They definitely want and have people filling AK after dark for pandora and rivers of light and it would be hard for them to give that up for our race. I can only imagine Star Wars will be the same (worse). With Star Wars opening sometime earlier in the west coast perhaps they are taking that into consideration as well.

Well I just got my "Thanks for Participating: email from rD for the DLR weekend and there was no option for early registration. While I am not surprised by any means, it's just another piece of the puzzle and I thought I would let you all know.

Interesting.

Though didn't that only start for 2017 SW and Princess anyway?

Star Wars dark side challenge didn't sell out but look at how many people ran it... runDisney isn't selling out because they've added more capacity in Orlando.

I would like my money back for pre-registration now. That $900 could do some good.

I will not travel to the west coast for only 5k/10k most likely and I love Star Wars. My husband and I can spend our travel dollars else where

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter