Further Thoughts On The Cost Cutting at WDW

SamIAm21

Mickey's #1 Fan
I know Disney is a business, and I know they want to show a profit for shareholders, but cost cutting at the expense of something so integral as the Traditions class is beyond stupid. It really goes against everything Walt Disney was. Walt was very often in debt up to his eyeballs for the sake of quality. He mortgaged his house for Snow White!! He often argued with and sidestepped his brother Roy for the sake of quality. He never nickeled and dimed when it came to superior product. He was repaid tenfold for his hard work and committment to a superior product.

So, basically Disney has now become the very antithesis of how Walt worked.

I couldn't agree more with Pete -- until this mindset is reversed, we will see a decline in castmember quality and the parks overall.

true... you can see the erosion of customer service a little more every time you go. Working at WDW is just another McJob.

true... you can see the erosion of customer service a little more every time you go. Working at WDW is just another McJob.

My wife and I worked at Disney in the 1990's, up until 1999.
Back then it was different. We still have friends there. We actually just went to WDW a few weeks ago and met up with our WDW friends.

Now and then:

THEN: You use to change into your "costume" at the park or resort. Your "costume" is your outfit. They did this so you would not see a castmember from tomorrowland filling up for gas on the way home. Also the costumes would be cleaned by Disney, and look nice. Also back when we worked there if you were a manager you would take your name tag off when going to lunch, etc.

NOW: Most Castmembers take there costumes home and wear them into and out of work. Castmembers get three sets to wear. So now you might see someone off property at Mc Donalds, etc.

THEN: Back in 1990's it was easier to get castmembbers I think. As more and more rides and rooms have been added, and pay has stayed very low for these positions I think WDW casting has had to lower standards and rules to fill these increasing number of positions. You use to have to be clean shaven, neat hair cut, no visible tattoos for the men, women had to wear no earrings or earrings had to be the size of a dime or smaller, there was also fingernail polish guidelines. You were "on stage" so you had to fill a certain role.

NOW: I am not sure what the exact rules are now, but one of my castmember friends says most of these grooming requirements have changed. And I can understand that it must be difficult to hire the number of cast members now needed for $7.50 or so an hour.

THEN: Traditions (Disney New Cast Members Training Class). When I took this it was a week long. Plus when I was on the College Program you had to take extra classes, seminars, about the way Disney managed people, etc.

NOW: Traditions has been reduced to two days from what I have heard.

THEN: It was very difficult to get into the college program. I remember getting on a bus and going to a college campus since Disney was not coming to our remote college location. You had one on one interviews.

NOW: I do not kno if it is still difficult, but I know they have added several other housing areas, besides Vista Way. One of my castmember friends does college program phone interviews. So she calls and hires college kids for the college program without ever seeing them.

I am sure there are many things that are constantly changing and updating as managers and budgets change. Just as traditions has been cut down, one day it will probably be extended again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter