Further Restrictions to resale?

Darley

Earning My Ears
Considering a resale contract. One question I have -- what "rights" would I have that can't be taken away? I understand access to lounges was taken away, etc, and I am fine with that trade off for the cost, but could they take away current perks like 11-month booking windows? Which perks are permanent?

Considering a resale contract. One question I have -- what "rights" would I have that can't be taken away? I understand access to lounges was taken away, etc, and I am fine with that trade off for the cost, but could they take away current perks like 11-month booking windows? Which perks are permanent?
The ability to book resorts which are not your home could be reduced. New resorts in particular could see restrictions placed on resale owners access.

The ability to book resorts which are not your home could be reduced. New resorts in particular could see restrictions placed on resale owners access.
Along those lines, could they do something like direct at non-home resorts stay at 7 months and resale at non-home resorts at say 5 or 6 months? In addition, would current resale be grandfathered from any changes to the current rules?

You will always have the same rights as any other owners at your home resort. FL timeshare law is clear that no matter how you purchase, rights have to be the same.

Trading into other DVC resorts is an agreement with BVtC and those rules are set by the resort that comes into it.

Right now, resale bought since 2019 is restricted from booking Resoers since then, which are currently RIv, VDH, and CFW, and potentially all future resorts.

So, what you have access to today in terms of where you can book your points would be the same in the future, assuming your home resort stays part of BVtC…which it can also not be removed under certain circumstances.

Along those lines, could they do something like direct at non-home resorts stay at 7 months and resale at non-home resorts at say 5 or 6 months? In addition, would current resale be grandfathered from any changes to the current rules?

The rules for trading are based on the home resort period and the DVC resort agreement and I don’t see anyway that BVtC can set up the booking like that based on direct vs resale.

The exception of course is this new trust association. They could end up adding other property to that which could make different rules for those owners in plans within the trust and other owners.

But, as of now, CFW is restricted…so any of those changes would not impact resale differently than today.

Last edited:
The contracts are written in Disney’s favor and they can do pretty much whatever they want if you read the fine print. However, to date they have only taken away rights on future purchases. So, for resale right now, basically you can book wherever you want at the legacy resorts at the 7 month mark dependent upon availability. You can trade into RCI or whatever it is but it is generally garbage. Legacy resorts=pre-riviera resorts.

So we have a variety of resale contracts. Some are from before Disney imposed the last restrictions. We can use those resale contracts to book anywhere including riviera, Disneyland hotel etc. But we have other resale contracts purchased more recently where we can only book pre riviera. There may be more restrictions imposed on future resale buyers. At least that’s how they have done it in the past.

There's not much more that they can take away to be honest. Only thing I can think of would be direct pricing for existing owners... Not sure why they'd want to get rid of that benefit though....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter