• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fun things to do at the Grand Californian

Princess Clayre

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone, We're travelling to Disneyland in August to the Grand Californian and due to a run in with Skin Cancer last year we will be staying inside during the middle of the of the day when the UV is highest. Are there any fun little things that people can recommend to make the most our time inside. I believe there might be a scavenger hunt and I think the hotel tour runs sometimes. Any hidden spots we should investigate as we've only visited the lobby and Storytellers in the past.

Last edited:
Everyone usually recommends checking out White Water Snacks. How long do you plan to stay in doors? If you time things properly for DCA, you could probably stay inside the Animation Building then hop over to the Hyperion to catch Frozen. That's a good hour and a half there.

You can also use an umbrella with UV protection for shade while you're outdoors. That's what I'm planning to do.

If its in your budget , go get a mani / pedi at the spa. If youre feeling like watching cartoons with a few kiddos, they have cartoons near the lobby. There is also usually a piano player in the great room playing the disney classics.

Everyone usually recommends checking out White Water Snacks. How long do you plan to stay in doors? If you time things properly for DCA, you could probably stay inside the Animation Building then hop over to the Hyperion to catch Frozen. That's a good hour and a half there.

It will depend on the UV levels a bit so we won't know for sure but probably around 11am to 3pm. We did wonder about hopping about around that area of the park, I think the Pixar Shorts are on around that area too. Is the wait area for Frozen very shaded and how long in advance of the show would we need to get there?

You can also use an umbrella with UV protection for shade while you're outdoors. That's what I'm planning to do.

Thank-you. I have purchased one ready to help out but the UV levels are so much higher than here in the UK that it makes me a bit nervous but i'm desperate for my Disney fix too.

Maybe you could rent a cabana for half a day.

There aren't a lot of things to do indoors. You could hang out in the lobby and order drinks there, but that will get old after a while.

It will depend on the UV levels a bit so we won't know for sure but probably around 11am to 3pm. We did wonder about hopping about around that area of the park, I think the Pixar Shorts are on around that area too. Is the wait area for Frozen very shaded and how long in advance of the show would we need to get there?

It's not shaded at all (except for the parts with trees). What you can do is wait across the "street" where the animation building is (the side of the building) that typically has shade. Or at the Guardians of the Galaxy tower/lobby area. You can see when they start letting people in (as they are walking into the theatre) and then hop over to see if they will let you into there for the show.

It's not shaded at all (except for the parts with trees). What you can do is wait across the "street" where the animation building is (the side of the building) that typically has shade. Or at the Guardians of the Galaxy tower/lobby area. You can see when they start letting people in (as they are walking into the theatre) and then hop over to see if they will let you into there for the show.
Ok thanks.

A week ago Friday I arrived at the theater for Frozen around 2:45 for the 3:00 show and was able to walk right in for mezzanine seating although people were still lining up for Orchestra seating outside. I did have to climb a lot of stairs, but they were inside. My guess is that the same would be true for the 12:00 show.

As far as other things to do indoors at Grand Californian, if you’re there on a weekend, you could do the Character Brunch at Storyteller’s. If you don’t need the characters, you could go on weekdays for lunch. (Character breakfast ends at 11:30.)

A nearby option, though a little pricey, is Splitsville bowling alley, which opens around 11 am. You could bowl a few rounds, then get lunch, then watch other groups — not ideal, but something to do.

A week ago Friday I arrived at the theater for Frozen around 2:45 for the 3:00 show and was able to walk right in for mezzanine seating although people were still lining up for Orchestra seating outside. I did have to climb a lot of stairs, but they were inside. My guess is that the same would be true for the 12:00 show.

Thank-you that's really helpful. We certainly don't mind climbing some stairs.

As far as other things to do indoors at Grand Californian, if you’re there on a weekend, you could do the Character Brunch at Storyteller’s. If you don’t need the characters, you could go on weekdays for lunch. (Character breakfast ends at 11:30.)

A nearby option, though a little pricey, is Splitsville bowling alley, which opens around 11 am. You could bowl a few rounds, then get lunch, then watch other groups — not ideal, but something to do.

Thanks. We have Splitsville on our list to do.

Things to do in the Grand during the afternoon;

Get something light to eat and drink at the Hearth Stone Lounge(on the right, opposite end of lobby from front desk). Lots of custom made drinks, adult drinks, and coffee, as well as snack foods. Love the wood work and attention to detail in everything inside the Hearth Stone. See how many "Mickeys" you can spot. This the home of the Best cup of "Americana Coffee", I have ever had. Light Breakfast to late night drinks, always enjoyable 8-)

Hungry? Head for Story Tellers or White Water Snacks. Good food and great service.:D

Need a place to do some reading, check e-mails/messages ? Hearth Stone Lounge or try the second or third level of the main lobby atrium. Lots of nice seating and some very nice desks available. :-)

Something outside but not in the sun? Try renting one of the Cabanas at the pool. Look for one of the covered areas around the exterior of the hotel. :umbrella:

The Grand has a great little Gift Shop in the main lobby, as well as a work out facility, an observation deck looking over California Adventures, as well as other items I have discovered. Contact the hotel Concierge for a full list of things to do inside the hotel, I am sure I am missing things :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter