Fun, Sun & Strong Water Rum...*Yo-Ho*...23 Nights @ Sapphire Falls...A May 2022 TR

Well it's been a month again since I've been here and I'm late to the party!!!! :rolleyes: I really need to start scheduling time on my calendar so I at least get here weekly!!! :thumbsup2

I can't believe you'll be back in less than 8 weeks!!!!! EEeekkkk!!!!! That's so exciting and the time is going to fly by!!! And don't forget to bring an extra suit case this time!!! :rotfl:

I go ‘rogue’ and short cut over the access road ;)

JHMO, our experience - pre & post pandemic, specifically addressing the pool serving staff here…curious as to your take on it.

the SF staff appears to be more efficient & far more pleasant vs what we’ve encountered at RP, PB & (especially) HR. Don’t get me wrong, none of the onsite service is what I’d deem “bad”

will say, lately, the U resort TS servers have decidedly gotten the nod over what we’ve experienced at WDW when it was the reverse situation pre-pandemic. :confused3

lol....we walked over the road once and got yelled at by an over zealous security officer.......oops!

I have to say the last time we were at the Bula Bar for food and drink at RP the calibre of the staff left a little to be desired. Not the usual standard we have always been used to. And we felt the drinks were not as strong as they used to be. I would agree, it wasn`t bad, just not as good as it could have been.

Haven`t been to the pool at Sapphire for a long time, so will definitely give it a check out this coming trip.

Never good to hear bad reports though of service anywhere, you just don`t expect it at a place like wdw.

Well it's been a month again since I've been here and I'm late to the party!!!! :rolleyes: I really need to start scheduling time on my calendar so I at least get here weekly!!! :thumbsup2

I can't believe you'll be back in less than 8 weeks!!!!! EEeekkkk!!!!! That's so exciting and the time is going to fly by!!! And don't forget to bring an extra suit case this time!!! :rotfl:

:welcome: to you NancyLuvsMickey........yes, you need to set that alarm to pop in more often.....it`s always good to see you post!!

I know!!! Can`t quite believe it`s so close now.....after missing all those trips I`m loving having trips so close together......and oh yes, extra suitcase, I think we`ll buy one out there this time as we have plenty of time!

Glad you made it along for this one too........:wave2:

Never good to hear bad reports though of service anywhere, you just don`t expect it at a place like wdw.
so true, they used to be the gold standard with ’the disney difference’. Sad to see the changes over the years via lots of apparent cost cutting to satisfy the stockholders

Covid is blamed for all the ills in the industry these days. I give a wide swath to those who do work in the field. most places are obviously very understaffed yet, a simple smile does go a very long way in smoothing things over.

would be nice to think things will keep improving every trip :)

I’m not on the boards as often as I’d like … usually just make time when I have a trip coming up to help me get more excited… if that’s even possible lol. I didn’t have to look hard today before I found your wonderful pictures of Sapphire! I just love Sapphire too and your pictures really take me back. Wish I could stay there our entire trip but am only doing arrival night as we want express for the rest of the trip. I’ll be there in May as well. Looking forward to Strongwater on our arrival night! Really can’t think of a better welcome. Hope you have an amazing trip!

so true, they used to be the gold standard with ’the disney difference’. Sad to see the changes over the years via lots of apparent cost cutting to satisfy the stockholders

Covid is blamed for all the ills in the industry these days. I give a wide swath to those who do work in the field. most places are obviously very understaffed yet, a simple smile does go a very long way in smoothing things over.

would be nice to think things will keep improving every trip :)

That`s very true. My very distant memories of Disney were filled with true customer service and CM that did care. It is sad to see that demise of genuine customer service there. Many friends that do still go overall enjoy still enjoy it, but my goodness they all have the same list of complaints as I`m reading on the boards here.

We did notice some differences in out last trip, first after covid and there were differences too. Someone told us they have a problem employing folks who do actually want to be in the hospitality industry and had to employ some that aren`t naturally inclined for good customer service. It certainly showed in a couple of places we went. Yes, a smile makes all the difference at times or even an acknowledgement if something has gone wrong.

I think it`ll improve in time.

I’m not on the boards as often as I’d like … usually just make time when I have a trip coming up to help me get more excited… if that’s even possible lol. I didn’t have to look hard today before I found your wonderful pictures of Sapphire! I just love Sapphire too and your pictures really take me back. Wish I could stay there our entire trip but am only doing arrival night as we want express for the rest of the trip. I’ll be there in May as well. Looking forward to Strongwater on our arrival night! Really can’t think of a better welcome. Hope you have an amazing trip!

:welcome: along christophfam.......it really is so good to see you here!

Good to hear you have a trip planned and sounds about perfect with first night in Strong Water Bar........yes, that is a lovely welcome back!!!

Sapphire is just so beautiful and it`s hard to beat for us.

Hope you have a wonderful trip too and if you see us in the parks......give us a holler and a wave.......and hope you enjoy reading this one too, hope all is well with you and yours.....:wave2:

Sapphire Falls looks absolutely gorgeous. I’m sure you can’t wait to back there ( and at Strong Waters 😁). Do you buy the EP when staying at SF or do you just go without? It seems like such a great perk of RP

Sapphire Falls looks absolutely gorgeous. I’m sure you can’t wait to back there ( and at Strong Waters 😁). Do you buy the EP when staying at SF or do you just go without? It seems like such a great perk of RP

I know, we are so excited to be back there and being able to wander not very far after being in Strong Water is going to be lovely....it`s not a long walk, but at midnight after one or two of Lenny`s creations.....well, it can feel longer......lol....

Just talked 2 couples into staying there too early next year, so I`m hoping they love it as much as we do.

Some folks always ask if we ever get fed up staying at the same places and the answer is always no. We never get fed up staying at either hotel for our stays.....why would we......they both have everything we need for our trips and it really is like a home away from home for us.

I do sometimes wonder about this. But in a way I also think it's fun to stay at the same place several times because you really get to know it and can spend time doing things that not everyone has time for. You also get to know what you really like and what's worth going back to. I like a mixture of the familiar and the new on every trip...though when they are short it's harder to do that without feeling rushed. It's so nice that you will have time to take it slow on this one.

STRONG WATER TAVERN

i-c8Nh4KV-X2.jpg

We were first introduced to Strong Water Tavern in 2016 when the hotel opened and to be honest as I wasn`t a rum drinker I didn`t think we`d use it too often.....what a mistake to make! We met Fernanado and the then assistant manager Mike who both assured me they would both convert me to enjoy and appreciate the delicacies and uniqueness of the many options we had to try.....and they weren`t wrong!!

Then we met Lenny and I was completely convinced after he educated and instructed us on the joys of the cocktails he has created over the time we`ve known him and some of the other Rum Captains.

It was one of those places they just made you feel so welcome from your first visit and has been like that ever since. Whether you sit at a table or at the bar, service is always exemplary and we have never been disappointed in all our visits to this wonderful place.

We have come to know some of the folks there very well and look forward so much to seeing them and spending time with them every trip....and as this trip is solely at Sapphire, I think we`ll spend more than a few nights in there enjoying the lovely hospitality they offer.

When I look back over the years we have so many pictures taken over our many visits the SW.......we have gorgeous food and drinks and many of the wonderful folks there too that it`s hard to pick a few pics to show it at it`s best.....I think I could do a TR on Strong Water alone!!!

Visually it is a beautiful bar and has a warm feeling despite it being a good size and an open appearance and has it`s own story with the design including the real rum barrel lids on the ceiling as part of the decor.

i-bT9VxTj-X2.jpg

i-Q4MHkbq-X2.jpg

i-7Xv4MwQ-X2.jpg

The outdoor seating area is very nice, it looks very tempting at night with the lights around and the view is rather nice as you can see some of Citywalk and Dr Doom lit up at night. I do however wish it was a non smoking area, that`s one of the only reasons we tend not to sit out there which is a shame as it is lovely to be enjoying a libation out there.

i-KBLrt3B-X2.jpg

There is a beautiful Firepit to the side of the bar, it is a cosy little area when it`s lit and folks do enjoy making smores out there at times. Or just enjoy a drink or two.

i-hJ4K5tL-X2.jpg

Oh the food!!!

We have tried everything on the menu.....except one vegetarian dish and have never been let down with the offerings. We only tried the vegetarian dish because Chef Carlos asked our opinion on it, and it was very nice.......I did tell him it would be better with beef or chicken added.......lol......thankfully he saw the funny side. He is the nicest man and creates some amazing dishes.

The menu right now is somewhat smaller than the original one, but it`s still decent and has something for most folks on there. Everything is fresh and like all other places onsite at Universal they are very good at accommodating allergies and in some cases just a general aversion.

We hate cilantro......we are in that percentage of people for whom cilantro tastes like soap.......some folks think it just tastes fresh......but it is one taste neither of us can take....same with mint.....bleurgh.....

This camarones dish is one where we ask for cilantro to be omitted from the sauce, the shrimp are marinaded in a little, but we can never taste it which is fine by us. And I think this is one of all our all time favourite dishes from here.......we don`t eat a lot of bread with any dish, but the bread here is gorgeous!!

i-9Kzk8Hx-X2.jpg

Seafood Tostado which is a cold seafood dish, it`s not spicy in the slightest and we ask for the cilantro crema to be omitted from this too......

i-dnrJr4L-X2.jpg

One of the many ceviche dishes we`ve enjoyed over the years.......they do change them regularly and I`m not sure this one is on any more.......but they are so tasty and you can distinguish individual seafood from others in the dishes.

i-MMjqpTs-X2.jpg

IMG_9723%20%282%29-X2.jpg

This was one of the specials Chef Carlos created a few years back......it was a giant pork chop and he added fried plantains, rice and beans and a sauce which rather unusually had an orange zing to it which was lovely despite me not thinking I`d like it. It is quite a spectacular dish and it was huge!!!

i-mCpLnhP-X2.jpg

A chargrilled octopus dish that was just delicious.......not a dish for Tom as it`s one of the very few seafood dishes he won`t eat as well as oysters......I love them both!!!

i-fxHVmMB-X2.jpg

Another ceviche.....this one was spicy and so delicious!

i-CK4MJWh-X2.jpg

There are so many more dishes we`ve enjoyed, I could post hundreds of pictures......but the food is completely gorgeous from here and again, so many choices.

Desserts are something we are quite fussy with, and although we don`t have many to choose from in Strong Water, they are beautiful.

Our favourite is the Tres Leche cake......this is Chef Carlos own recipe and although this one is almost double the size of the regular slice, it`s still a large dessert. Meringue is light and fluffy and the cake is also light. The sauce however is very rich and very moreish.......

i-Q6RCMPg-X2.jpg

Coconut Flan.......lush!!!

i-Dp6zvKk-X2.jpg

Spiced chocolate cake which Kyle absolutely loved. I wasn`t sure if he would try it with the word spiced on the description, but again Fernando assured him it was spicy, but delicious.......he was right! I think they now call it Mexican Chocolate cake.

i-4qc3X98-X2.jpg

And the Guava and cheese Pastellitos which we were honoured to be among the first to try them before they went on the menu permanently......they were a hit with us!! We`ve been happy guinea pigs for many a food before it made the menu and I can honestly say they have all been fabulous.

IMG_9732%20%282%29-X2.jpg

One of Tom`s favourite things to do is have a Rum Flight.......and I think he`s tried them all by now!! The Rum Captain will chat to you about what kind of drinks you like and what you favour and will come up with 3 options they think you`ll enjoy......I think there`s only been one he didn`t care for and Lenny actually said he did wonder about that one.

They have a huge selection of rums as well as any other drink you can think of and they really do know their stuff when it comes to tasting notes and blending....you wouldn`t be disappointed.

i-ShrhLQ9-X2.jpg

There are so many cocktail options here......and yes, we`ve tried them all....each and every one and many more that have been tried and tested by Lenny and others.....not all make the menu of course and we were lucky enough to be guinea pigs for many a cocktail too including Ashley`s Fools Gold which has been a huge success.

Rum Marathoner, Blackberry Daiquiri, Fountain of Youth, Last Typhoon, Rum Mule, Fools Gold, Rum Lore, Sapphire Sour, Milk Punch, Rum Revival to name several we have enjoyed over the years and then there are the other ones created for Holiday specials that we have enjoyed too.

They can create any cocktail you want and we have loved when they come up with a cocktail just for us to try.

They make all their own syrups for the cocktails in the bar and they do have some amazing concoctions.

i-5ZgqBTh-X2.jpg

i-b8DM3q3-X2.jpg

i-Q3QkcL7-X2.jpg

i-n8cz8W9-X2.jpg

i-QPcvmrD-X2.jpg

i-2dVKd9v-X2.jpg

I think I could honestly talk for hours on how fabulous Strong Water is....everything just works from Fernando and the staff who have become so special to us, the food and the cocktails, not to mention the general ambiance of the bar.

But, this is one of the places we enjoy most on our trips, regardless of which hotel we stay in we always seem to end up here on many nights during our stay. Sometimes for food and drinks, other nights just for drinks and some good conversations with lovely folks who we adore chatting to at length.

I`ve said from the day we first went in here, Strong Water Tavern is the best bar in the whole of Universal Orlando Resort.....and I still feel that way and it gets better and better every time we visit.

I`m sure we`ll have a few additions for the trip report this upcoming visit...... 😉

I do sometimes wonder about this. But in a way I also think it's fun to stay at the same place several times because you really get to know it and can spend time doing things that not everyone has time for. You also get to know what you really like and what's worth going back to. I like a mixture of the familiar and the new on every trip...though when they are short it's harder to do that without feeling rushed. It's so nice that you will have time to take it slow on this one.

Our Christmas trip went past so fast, we truly felt we hadn`t nearly long enough to do all we wanted to do for the first time. And it does help to know the things we don`t want to do again.....and concentrate on all the things we do love so much.

I think familiarity is a good thing, for us anyway. I do know folks who don`t go to the same place twice, and it works for them but we`ve mostly been to all the places in the world we want to visit over the years.....so we`re happy being repetitive and probably boring in the eyes of some going to Florida, but for us we`re happy.

Florida has so much to offer and I wouldn`t want to spend all my time in the parks.....but again, that works for some too.......I`m a huge believer in each to their own....

Can`t be too long till your Florida trip??? I think it was March you were going.......or have I missed it and you`re already back......lol......

I made my first visit to SW last December. It was amazing — I couldn’t believe how warm and welcoming it was! I am so eager to spend an evening there and just relax and soak it all in 💜💜💜 I wouldn’t have tried it without your recommendation, as usual you know all the best spots! Honestly, please post more photos — you know we love them!!

I made my first visit to SW last December. It was amazing — I couldn’t believe how warm and welcoming it was! I am so eager to spend an evening there and just relax and soak it all in 💜💜💜 I wouldn’t have tried it without your recommendation, as usual you know all the best spots! Honestly, please post more photos — you know we love them!!

I was so glad you enjoyed it so much. I don`t think I`ve ever recommended a place as much as I have Strong Water......some places I do worry about recommending in case it`s not so good.......but Strong Water never disappoints.....they have everything you need for a good evening (or many evenings 😁) all in one place :thumbsup2

Just for you.......I found a few more pictures.

I have so many of the same things though....I must have about 15 pics each of the different ceviches on different nights and visits.....we really are creatures of habit!

This was a shrimp and scallop special and it was nice and spicy, but it was never back on again which was a shame as we loved it!

i-HhGQNnL-X2.jpg

The next two dishes are ones we only ordered so we could say we had enjoyed every meal on the menu......who orders chicken tenders in a Caribbean restaurant!!! To be honest we only wanted to taste the hot sauce....which is blow your head off hot sauce.......tenders were nice enough, but just not what we`d ever order usually.

i-pFgH9gB-X2.jpg

And the sliders.......well.......yes, they were lovely, but again, not what I would usually opt for in a place like this. It was too much with the bread buns, so Tom just ate the beef which was tasty!

i-6J4dZR8-X2.jpg

Can`t quite remember what these were......I think they were a pulled pork croquette and very tasty and they were placed a small puddle of sour cream which went really well together.

I know I have some other pictures of many other dishes like the shredded beef and empanadas, but I think the quality is poor and quite blurry, I think it must have been me that took those ones!!!

i-CG5jQdC-X2.jpg

Choripapa which was a sausage and potato dish, Tom really enjoyed this one.

i-J8hZNvn-X2.jpg

A Ceviche that again is not on the menu anymore......

i-PGzjkvw-X2.jpg

This was a beef and pineapple kebab with a pesto splash....there was supposed to be a cilantro addition to it, but Chef Carlos remembered our aversion to it. This dish was lovely, I`d never have put beef with pineapple, but it worked. And again, that gorgeous bread.

i-skJ945v-X2.jpg

Meatballs, I never order anywhere......I make my own and if I go out for dinner, I`d never order them......but it was suggested I try them, so well, it would have been rude not to 😉.....and they were delicious. Again with the soured cream it really worked well.

i-q4P4Bdc-X2.jpg

Curried goat which Tom refused to eat........lol......if they had called it lamb on the menu he`d have eaten it!!! I really enjoyed it, not sure I`d have it every visit, but I did enjoy the spicy flavour of it.

i-QX8NpgK-X2.jpg

Curried chicken with mango chutney. Not spicy enough for us, but tasty and it does have potato through it which I didn`t like, but I picked them out and just ate the chicken.

i-q8P4c3H-X2.jpg

Yep....another ceviche.......

i-pMrNzP8-X2.jpg

Charcuterie board which was delicious, it also came with some of the lovely bread they serve with some dishes.

i-gBxqjXj-X2.jpg

This was one of Chef Carlos dishes he asked what we thought.......it was different and it came in layers of pancake/crepe things with some veg on the side and a very nice egg on top. This didn`t work for me as it was just too filling, although it was again something Tom enjoyed a little.....it didn`t make it on to the menu though.

i-wLnSjWv-X2.jpg

The dish below was again chosen so we could say we had tried everything on the menu......this was a vegan dish with Jackfruit which was quite nice I have to say. I don`t usually like baked potatoes, but did eat a little of this one. Not a dish I`d order as it was too vegan for me.......lol......and not a fan of that type of potato.

i-5ZDRCsg-X2.jpg

Chef Carlos brought this dish out for us to try too........it was banana cake with toffee sauce and toffee fudge ice cream.

I hate bananas with a passion.......so it was only because he asked us to try it that I did......and it was lovely!!

i-rbgLT69-X2.jpg

I have to admit we will try anything Chef Carlos creates and asks us to try as he is an incredible chef and so many things I say I don`t like, then he brings out a dish with something in it I wouldn`t normally eat......and yes, I end up liking it!! He is incredibly creative and serves some wonderful food.

Couple of cocktails and the firepit during the day......

i-b8DM3q3-X2.jpg

i-p4pp6KV-X2.jpg

i-Gxb9C8H-X2.jpg

Think I might focus on Jake`s for the next post.........

Just for you.......I found a few more pictures.

I have so many of the same things though....I must have about 15 pics each of the different ceviches on different nights and visits.....we really are creatures of habit!

This was a shrimp and scallop special and it was nice and spicy, but it was never back on again which was a shame as we loved it!

i-HhGQNnL-X2.jpg

The next two dishes are ones we only ordered so we could say we had enjoyed every meal on the menu......who orders chicken tenders in a Caribbean restaurant!!! To be honest we only wanted to taste the hot sauce....which is blow your head off hot sauce.......tenders were nice enough, but just not what we`d ever order usually.

i-pFgH9gB-X2.jpg

And the sliders.......well.......yes, they were lovely, but again, not what I would usually opt for in a place like this. It was too much with the bread buns, so Tom just ate the beef which was tasty!

i-6J4dZR8-X2.jpg

Can`t quite remember what these were......I think they were a pulled pork croquette and very tasty and they were placed a small puddle of sour cream which went really well together.

I know I have some other pictures of many other dishes like the shredded beef and empanadas, but I think the quality is poor and quite blurry, I think it must have been me that took those ones!!!

i-CG5jQdC-X2.jpg

Choripapa which was a sausage and potato dish, Tom really enjoyed this one.

i-J8hZNvn-X2.jpg

A Ceviche that again is not on the menu anymore......

i-PGzjkvw-X2.jpg

This was a beef and pineapple kebab with a pesto splash....there was supposed to be a cilantro addition to it, but Chef Carlos remembered our aversion to it. This dish was lovely, I`d never have put beef with pineapple, but it worked. And again, that gorgeous bread.

i-skJ945v-X2.jpg

Meatballs, I never order anywhere......I make my own and if I go out for dinner, I`d never order them......but it was suggested I try them, so well, it would have been rude not to 😉.....and they were delicious. Again with the soured cream it really worked well.

i-q4P4Bdc-X2.jpg

Curried goat which Tom refused to eat........lol......if they had called it lamb on the menu he`d have eaten it!!! I really enjoyed it, not sure I`d have it every visit, but I did enjoy the spicy flavour of it.

i-QX8NpgK-X2.jpg

Curried chicken with mango chutney. Not spicy enough for us, but tasty and it does have potato through it which I didn`t like, but I picked them out and just ate the chicken.

i-q8P4c3H-X2.jpg

Yep....another ceviche.......

i-pMrNzP8-X2.jpg

Charcuterie board which was delicious, it also came with some of the lovely bread they serve with some dishes.

i-gBxqjXj-X2.jpg

This was one of Chef Carlos dishes he asked what we thought.......it was different and it came in layers of pancake/crepe things with some veg on the side and a very nice egg on top. This didn`t work for me as it was just too filling, although it was again something Tom enjoyed a little.....it didn`t make it on to the menu though.

i-wLnSjWv-X2.jpg

The dish below was again chosen so we could say we had tried everything on the menu......this was a vegan dish with Jackfruit which was quite nice I have to say. I don`t usually like baked potatoes, but did eat a little of this one. Not a dish I`d order as it was too vegan for me.......lol......and not a fan of that type of potato.

i-5ZDRCsg-X2.jpg

Chef Carlos brought this dish out for us to try too........it was banana cake with toffee sauce and toffee fudge ice cream.

I hate bananas with a passion.......so it was only because he asked us to try it that I did......and it was lovely!!

i-rbgLT69-X2.jpg

I have to admit we will try anything Chef Carlos creates and asks us to try as he is an incredible chef and so many things I say I don`t like, then he brings out a dish with something in it I wouldn`t normally eat......and yes, I end up liking it!! He is incredibly creative and serves some wonderful food.

Couple of cocktails and the firepit during the day......

i-b8DM3q3-X2.jpg

i-p4pp6KV-X2.jpg

i-Gxb9C8H-X2.jpg

Think I might focus on Jake`s for the next post.........
Thank you so much! Every single thing looks amazing, and I won’t hesitate to order any dish or ask for a recommendation as it seems I will be delighted by whatever appears on the table 🥰🥰🥰

I am ready for Jake’s! Bring on the goodness 🥳🥳🥳

Excellent. My daughter and I plan to have dinner at Jake's in May. We've never been and it sounds great. We've done Islands (a long time ago before she went off to college) and met Dr. Voodoo or whatever his name was. We also did Tchoup Chop a couple of times because we really loved the atmosphere of the restaurant. But we've never eaten at Jake's and so many people really seem to enjoy it.

Carole, I am studying your food photos! The only two places I remember eating during our last trip were Tchoup Chop and Mythos, and I loved both. I know Tchoup Chop is no more, but we had such a lovely meal there. It looks like many of the offerings at Strong Water are spicy, and my post-chemo digestive system just cannot do spicy anymore. :sad2: No raw onions, no hot peppers. Still, it looks like a place that would be fun to try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter