Full Vaccination Required Ages 5+ Starting 1/13/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the GTA they’ve already announced the neighbourhoods that will get rolled out first and ours is not on the list. So it will be at least December and maybe January. If they go 8 weeks between shots we could be scr*Wed for a March break cruise.

How I am supposed to juggle that by December 1 is beyond me. And the thought of telling kiddo that his cruise is postponed for a third time is…🤢
We're in the same boat. A family member had a horrible reaction to Pfizer so we have been waiting for the J&J one to be approved for the kids. It seems unlikely that it will be before we sail in March. This will be our 3rd re-schedule. We've never been on a cruise and at this rate, our oldest will be in 12th grade. It will have been 3 years from the original sail date :(

I think this is a Disney call not a Bahamas call. A admittedly brief google search still said 12 and up for Bahamas

I, too, would love to know if this means DD9, who gets her second dose on 11/26, will be able to board our 12/26 cruise without the 72 hour test. And, I am hopeful they will allow her to get off the ship in Tortola and St. Thomas without being on a DCL excursion…I just want to get off the boat and walk around!

I think this is a Disney call not a Bahamas call. A admittedly brief google search still said 12 and up for Bahamas
Same. Royal hasn’t changed their policy to require kids to be vaxxed and they are a much bigger line than Disney in comparison of how many people cruise with them

Agreed. My 6 year old has a rare autoimmune disorder and can't be vaccinated. Just cancelled our cruise for our family this afternoon.
I suspect there will be a lot of cancellations. Vaccines aside, I foresee a long recovery for cruise lines with everything going on.

No, it is 2 doses, but the dose size is 1/3 of adult dose.

It’s actually 2 doses PLUS 14 days. And whatever you are the day you board is what you are….so, for us, we sail on Dec 5th. DD gets her 2nd dose on 11/28. But she still has to do the 3 day pre-test - bc she’s not “fully vaccinated” on the day we board. She’ll become fully vaccinated while on board but that won’t matter.

I think just keep the testing in place. There’s a lot of countries that aren’t vaccinating this young at the moment so all they’re doing is ostracising people. There’s also a lot of people that aren’t comfortable with vaccinating their young kids.
My son's neurologist recommended that he not get the covid vaccine based on his medical history. I understand the precautions during the pandemic but I do hope someday the vaccine won't be a requirement to cruise or else we will never get to do one.

We sail on the first dream cruise after the new rule takes effect. So many people are cancelling. Hope disney knew what they were doing with this new rule. The cruises that we have taken so far have sailed practically empty. This may cause them to sail even emptier.

I wouldn't even think about that right now. For the EMA is looking at the 5-12 and by then it will be approved and who knows what the big picture is by then.
Yes just read it in the newspaper. Frankly, I knew my newly 12-year-old boy had to get vaccinated which we are taking care of but I just didn't realize some countries had started for smaller children. I am relieved, I still have time maybe I won't have to cancel.

We are sailing on the first Hawaii cruise (and rebooked from the cancelled cruise). My littlest turns 5 years old on Feb 25th. I don't think we'll have enough time for her to be considered 'fully vaxxed' with first and second dose, and waiting time. And we'll be outside of the 5 week grace window. I think in Canada we will be 8 weeks between doses. So gutted. We have 7 people booked, our pre-cruise hotel booked, our Aulani stay booked, and excursions in Hawaii booked. We've been counting down the days, after counting down the days to the cancelled cruise. 5 weeks seems awfully arbitrary based on the dosing schedule that's being proposed for 5-12 year olds likely being 8 weeks

So anyone with a birthday within 5-9 weeks of sailing can't sail even with one dose and a test, yet unvaxxed within 0-5 weeks of their birthday are free to sail with testing. THAT makes no sense.

We are sailing on the first Hawaii cruise (and rebooked from the cancelled cruise). My littlest turns 5 years old on Feb 25th. I don't think we'll have enough time for her to be considered 'fully vaxxed' with first and second dose, and waiting time. And we'll be outside of the 5 week grace window. I think in Canada we will be 8 weeks between doses. So gutted. We have 7 people booked, our pre-cruise hotel booked, our Aulani stay booked, and excursions in Hawaii booked. We've been counting down the days, after counting down the days to the cancelled cruise. 5 weeks seems awfully arbitrary based on the dosing schedule that's being proposed for 5-12 year olds likely being 8 weeks

So anyone with a birthday within 5-9 weeks of sailing can't sail even with one dose and a test, yet unvaxxed within 0-5 weeks of their birthday are free to sail with testing. THAT makes no sense.
Are you Canadian close to the border? If I were your situation I would be thinking all options that would include traveling to the US just to get his second shot under eight weeks. I know in Germany for kids it was six weeks and I got my son his second earlier at four or five weeks because he was flying to Texas during their peak in summer and there was no way I was sending him there not fully vaxxed. I explain the situation to his pediatrician and got him in earlier for his second shot. The gap between shots as often arbitrarily same thing with boosters.
I’m on your cruise too and we’re on the cancelled one too. I totally feel your pain be devastated myself. Up until now as European travelers we weren’t even sure if Hawaii would allow us in seeing that before the CDC updates/ opened borders on the 8th they only allowed vaccinations that were also only administered in the US which is totally mind-boggling how in their eyes my Pfizer shot given in Germany is somehow different than one given in the states. And I’m even American

Are you Canadian close to the border? If I were your situation I would be thinking all options that would include traveling to the US just to get his second shot under eight weeks. I know in Germany for kids it was six weeks and I got my son his second earlier at four or five weeks because he was flying to Texas during their peak in summer and there was no way I was sending him there not fully vaxxed. I explain the situation to his pediatrician and got him in earlier for his second shot. The gap between shots as often arbitrarily same thing with boosters

Possibly but we'd be past PIF date and would have all airfare and everything paid in full. For us it would be a 20k gamble that we could achieve that.

DCL is basing it on the approved US dosing schedule for the Pfizer vaccine, which is two doses, 3 weeks apart, for 5-11 year olds [and then add 14 days to be considered fully vaccinated]. See https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...emergency-use-children-5-through-11-years-age

Same. Royal hasn’t changed their policy to require kids to be vaxxed and they are a much bigger line than Disney in comparison of how many people cruise with them

I'm thinking they haven't adjusted yet just for that reason. The size and scale of their fleet and the number of european cruises they have (where European countries vaccine is still only for 12 and up). I imagine when/if countries in Europe start vaccines for 5 and up, Royal will follow suit, similar to what happened when they changed policy to 12 and up.

That's not to say that Disney doesn't have its share of European guests. or Canadian guests...but the scale is a lot smaller to that of Royal Carribean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter