Full Service Checkouts

Most of the large shopping trips we do are at Costco, who doesn't bag, so it doesn't matter much how we put things on the belt, as it's all going back into the cart anyways. We do usually try to grab a large box to hold most of the produce and other small(isg) things so it's easier to carry into the house.

i only do one large shopping trip a month. as i shop i organize by type so ideally it's bagged together at the (what they call it now) 'assisted checkout'. first to get checked is the large stuff so it goes back into the cart on the bottem (and if i have multiples of a type i just put up one and give the cashier a count). doing it this way allows me to put stuff away much faster when i get home.

We do usually try to grab a large box to hold most of the produce and other small(isg) things so it's easier to carry into the house.
i keep a large plastic rectangular laundry basket in the hatch of my car-all the random costco items go in there as well as grocery store bags prone to tipping and spilling.

The only place I do self check out is BJs because it's usually just a couple large items. Since it's only DH and I we usually only get paper goods and non perishables there so it's not that much of a problem to scan ourselves.

If we run into the grocery store for a couple of things I will do self checkout, but not for a week worth of groceries. That's rare though because I really try to avoid those one off trips to the grocery store since I inevitably end up spending more money.

I love Aldi. They really are the fastest checkout people. The system seems to be pretty efficient and I like being able to bag my groceries without feeling like I'm holding up the person behind me from getting checked out.

Yes, for large orders I place like products together so they are easier to bag together. It’s rare anymore that my supermarket has baggers.

Even at self checkout I scan and bag in an organized manner.

Heck, I’m anal enough that my cart is also always organized. Smaller refrigerator items and most produce go in the kiddie seat. The main part of the cart is stacked neatly, not haphazardly thrown in. I don’t like seeing overflowing carts with a mishmash of products, with produce on the bottom and boxes of kitty litter on top.

If you don't self-organize at Aldi's, your stuff will be crushed with how fast they put it in the cart.

So, I always self-organize b/c I've developed the habit...

The grocery store we shop at, the full service check stands don't have belts. The checker grabs an item from the cart, scans it, then it goes on the counter where the bagger bags the items. And no belts at the self check either. The self checks are designed for people who are only buying a few items.
Walmart is the only place I recall seeing belts anymore at the full service check stands. They have 3 self service check stands that have belts, but the other 10 don't. To the OP's question, even if there is a belt, there is usually no order to how I organize items on the belt.
Wonder if too many people (or kids) were getting fingers or hands caught in the belts so they were eliminated.

Always place the cold items first, in hopes that they will be bagged together. The soft things (bread, chips, eggs) are at the end. Everything else is a free for all
One of the grocery stores here has separate bags (different color) for cold items so they are good about keeping them together. The other stores always seem to mix in other items into the bags with the cold stuff even though I have them organized together on the belt.

If you don't self-organize at Aldi's, your stuff will be crushed with how fast they put it in the cart.

So, I always self-organize b/c I've developed the habit...
I think Aldi is the one place that I don't really bother to organize on the conveyer belt because I'm going to organize it when I bag it myself later. Our cashiers are super quick, but they are good about separating out lightweight items to an area of the cart where they won't get crushed while they are throwing the rest of the items in.

I try to put items like bread and eggs last. I usually do the meat first and then hand them my insulated bag. This works at every store except Target. I went twice this week, got in the only full-service checkout line available, and neither cashier bagged for me. They just stood and watched me. I normally would not care but my shoulder was hurting, which is why I waited in the full-service checkout line. I shop at places like Sam's Club/BJs and Aldi, where you bag your items, as well, but never experienced this at Target before.

Never saw any reason to organize items on that conveyor belt when checking out. The packers are always good about keep something like raw meats away from other products. At some of our grocery stores, they no longer have conveyors and you just set your cart in front of the cashier and that person removes the items to ring up.

I find the self service line convenient if you only have a few items or don't need to weigh things like fruits/vegetables. The bagging area tends to be unusually sensitive to the weight of bagged items and if you touch/move anything around causes issues................LOL.

I just throw it up on the conveyor belt. The check out person scans it and sacks it. I place the bags in the cart, put it in my car trunk and when I get home I carefully organize my stuff when putting it away. :)

About 99% of the stores with cashier here no longer bag the groceries. I think part of it is because we have to supply our own shopping bags now. So, they don't touch other people's property.

If we are able to set up our bags for them at the end of the counter, they may put items in. I've seen a few do that for others. But, I'm never organized enough to get my bag out first, walk around the swiper machine, set up the bag and then walk back. So, I'm always still bagging my items as the cashier has moved on to the next person and has to place their items off to the side. :blush: :headache:

If there is self checkout, I prefer to use those. And I do try to scan the heaviest items first.

Do you have Aldi in the US? It’s a German chain, with no self service checkouts, the speediest checkout people you will ever encounter and no space near the tills for packing. You are encouraged (have no choice) but to place everything back into your trolley and then there is a shelf, some distance away, where you are supposed to bag. It gives me the same feeling as when you are trying to collect and put on your belt, wallet, watch, shoes etc., and gather all your belongings after you have been scanned at airport security.

I agree the cashiers are crazy fast. We got a brand new Aldi about 2 miles from me last fall. They built only 2 cashier register lanes but 6 self check out registers. My DIL said the one she goes to added a few self check out registers shortly after the new one opened. There are several others within a few miles but I haven’t been in them to know if they are still cashiers only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter