• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fuel strike in France - driving to DLP

nobby

Seasoned DISer
We are driving to DLP this weekend. I know there is an Esso station near the hotels, and maybe some others nearby but does anyone know if there is petrol at any of these garages and/or if there are being refilled at all.

Any idea of any of the hotels have info on which garages have petrol?

I've seen the issues on the news too.

Theoretically, we'll have enough to make a return trip if we fill up at Ashford Tesco (J10) but as we are stopping at the resort for the week, we will try and top up wherever we can just to be sure.
The Auchan supermarket at Val d'Europe appears to have fuel at the moment though. Otherwise, for peace of mind - and a few extra pennies - stop at the motorway services on the A26/A1/A104. I would imagine that the further you are from Paris, the more chance you will have if things become 'critical'

Garry

Thanks Garry. We are driving from Rennes so will be on a different route!

How did you find out about the Auchan supermarket fuel status?

We go tomorrow too. We are planning on filling up at Ashford and then again halfway down at a motorway service station. My best friend lives in France and her opinion is that the motorways are still good for fuel albeit a bit more expensive. Have a good trip!

Thanks for that - have all good for you too Noodlesmum - we may even bump into you (without even knowing it!)

Last edited:
There is a mass hysteria regarding the fuel issue, strikes and social unrest

I live in France and when I watch sky neews or bbc world service things are blown out of proportion

The main reason for fuel shortage is that people got scared that fuel could run out, so they rushed to top up their tanks

We need to realise that since the announcement of fuel shortage, service stations have sold 3 times the usual amount of fuel on any given da

When they get a fuel delivery that's supposed to last 3 days, the tanks are empty after just a few hours, because people panic. Authorities even had to limit the amount served to 20 euros

But there is not a real shortage, there is a higher demand

If people would just stop going to the service station whenever they have used 5 liters, there would not be any fuel issue at all

If you want to make sure there is fuel nearby you will find many apps and maps on the internet giving you realtime info on fuel price and availability (one that comes to mind is the app ’essence')

I found a link to a list of apps on the web yesterday but would not download as iTunes UK will not allow access to these apps - and changing the country did not work as a UK credit card is not valid with France settings. Joy. The only app that worked had all the motorway stations missing.

Chmurf, do you know whether motorways/toll roads tend to have petrol available? Any info appreciated.

Anyone travelling by Eurotunnel, not sure if its still in place but the fuel station (Total) I think was closed last weekend and only authorities can use it

Chmurf, do you know whether motorways/toll roads tend to have petrol available? Any info appreciated.

Motorway service stations receive priority fuel deliveries. It's the law

Motorways are 'autoroutes' = roads that start with an A (A1, A25 etc...) compare to the M in the UK

How long do these strikes usually carry on?

It will last until either the unions or the government give in
The social unrest has been going on for 2 and a half months now

The fuel crisis is almost resolved
Fuel depots have been freed. And the government is currently pumping its strategic reserves which are enough to last over 3 months even if reffineries remained fully stopped
We can still import fuel from neighbor countries

The only concern is really with airline fuel. Both paris main airports (CDG and ORY) have requested from short/medium haul carriers to carry enough fuel to avoid refueling in Paris

For regular fuel (unleaded and diesel) things seem to'go back to normal quite slowly
Deliveries have resumed and the local folks tanks are full so no real worries

If you watch the news and think the country's burning and there is a civil war, well come and see for yourself, we're doing good thank you ;)

Arrived at dlp today.
No problems at any of the A road garages between Rennes, Le Mans and Chartres towards Evry. No queues and drove straight in to the pump at two garages. But when arrived at dlp at the esso garage to top up they were restricting sales of 98. I would suggest refilling along the motorway to be on the safe side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter