Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

I mean yea, they're 30 year old trailers at this point, right?
Correct. And it's probably wishful thinking by some to expect that high quality finishes will be installed in a mobile structure, even a new one. I've no doubt they'll be pleasant and shiny, but this type of structure comes with built-in limitations. I don't mean that as a bad thing, but let's not fool ourselves that these are going to be deluxe homes in the woods. They'll still exist within a basic-by-design resort.

The treehouses were new builds (modular) on top of the old footprint. They are new from about 10 years ago…
Yup your right - I thought it was a renovation in 2008 but it was a rebuild - there used to be a spiral staircase and a lower entrance.

Correct. And it's probably wishful thinking by some to expect that high quality finishes will be installed in a mobile structure, even a new one. I've no doubt they'll be pleasant and shiny, but this type of structure comes with built-in limitations. I don't mean that as a bad thing, but let's not fool ourselves that these are going to be deluxe homes in the woods. They'll still exist within a basic-by-design resort.
When has disney done high quality finishing - the bathrooms at RR / poly / VGG are the closest to high quality but they are still just on par with new Hilton or major new hotels. As long as they have decent beds / windows / furniture and baths - they will be great. Better to have medium quality finishing replaced every 14 years .

When has disney done high quality finishing - the bathrooms at RR / poly / VGG are the closest to high quality but they are still just on par with new Hilton or major new hotels. As long as they have decent beds / windows / furniture and baths - they will be great. Better to have medium quality finishing replaced every 14 years .
I suppose I should've specified "high quality - on a Disney curve." :laughing:

There's a group camping area without hookups for Scout, church, and other large groups. I think it is on the side of the Fort nearest the cabins. It has been closed for a while. I could see them using that land, especially since they closed the luau and Backyard BBQ for DVC projects. DVC is going to bring in more $ than youth groups in tents.
I sure hope not. My Scout troop has used it twice and it is a great opportunity for the kids. The best of both camping and theme park.

Its ridiculous to think that Golf carts will be included with any room. Heck VB charges to use Chairs and umbrellas. I'm sure they will charge a hefty fee for them around $50-$75 a day. (Cheaper to rent a car). I would assume the point chart would be in line with the Treehouses at SSR. I think a huge game changer would be a great pool with a lazy river and a nice clubhouse and game room.

It has the same park access as BRV / CCV and is better than AKV from a location standpoint.

You have to take a bus or golf cart to then get on a boat. So it's not the same and is much more removed.

I think that the accommodations and amenities ( and what Disney perks exist ) make a deluxe. Riveria is in a moderate location ( literally built in CBR) but it is one of the most point-heavy resorts.

Riviera has the Skyliner dropping you off right at the Epcot doorstep and is a tiny resort so not going far to grab that.

CBR has the issue of being setup like a motel (outdoor entry) and spread out. Otherwise you would likely see it falling in line with Deluxe based on the Skyliner.

Normally moderate has the issue of being setup like a motel with outside entry and being spread out. Which you could then question OKW and SSR.

OKW and SSR benefit from being sold before the internet. It would have been torn apart likely online when it was unveiled.

You have to take a bus or golf cart to then get on a boat. So it's not the same and is much more removed.
I’m not familiar with the walking paths, but with the current cabins so close to Outpost, is it about a 5-10 minute walk to park buses without having to take an internal one? Other than being weather exposed for that walk, that doesn’t seem much different from BRV… or say CC Cabins or PVB longhouses.

Its ridiculous to think that Golf carts will be included with any room. Heck VB charges to use Chairs and umbrellas. I'm sure they will charge a hefty fee for them around $50-$75 a day. (Cheaper to rent a car). I would assume the point chart would be in line with the Treehouses at SSR. I think a huge game changer would be a great pool with a lazy river and a nice clubhouse and game room.
I agree about the golf carts but do you really think people would pay the same points for a 1 bedroom/1 bath with possibly no laundry as they do at the treehouses with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and laundry?
If you are right, I would definitely be out.

We have no idea what the appointments of the new cabins will be. We know they will be on the small side and they will be modular but they will be brand new.
Are we sure they will be completely brand new?

Could they possibly use the existing frame and foundation, effectively tear it down to studs and then go from there?

Using the existing frame and then building onsite might cost more than just a prefab, so maybe not. Maybe these units will be shipped onsite already constructed and then it's just a matter of hookup?

OKW and SSR benefit from being sold before the internet. It would have been torn apart likely online when it was unveiled.

SSR was absolutely torn apart right here on the Dis when it was unveiled! Every new resort gets a beating, it's tradition.

Old timers here will remember Richyams talking about how he could reach into the fridge from the balcony at BW lol.

As a Dis old-timer, Rich's rants about BWV and this quote in particular are the only poster-specific quotes I've ever remembered and I laugh about it still.

I agree about the golf carts but do you really think people would pay the same points for a 1 bedroom/1 bath with possibly no laundry as they do at the treehouses with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and laundry?
If you are right, I would definitely be out.
I'm thinking they will have Laundry . I'm sure they are going to be great. Sleep 6 I would presume.

Maybe these units will be shipped onsite already constructed and then it's just a matter of hookup?
This is my guess but its really just speculation based on the timeline and the wording of the official statement from DVC.

I'm thinking they will have Laundry . I'm sure they are going to be great. Sleep 6 I would presume.
I hope you are right but as far as I know, they haven’t announced that either way.

I am not saying they won’t be great, I am very interested in the idea because I can bring my dog along. My point was that I wouldn’t pay anywhere near what a treehouse cost and wondered if others would.

Sleeping 6 is not the same as having enough room for 6. The treehouse is more than enough room for 6 comfortably, these cabins don’t IMO.

DVC will make a fortune off these ! The cabins at CCV were assigned approximately 39100 points each ; and say they were sold at an average of $200 PP ; they made 7.9 million each cabin and collect about $235 K per cabin as MF Per year. Now if these cabins bring in Half the point value and cost maybe $200 K each to replace nicely ; they stand to make about 4 Million per cabin. Times that by 350 cabins and less the cost of A brand new pool and Clubhouse your looking at 1 Billion profit ! Not BAD !

I’m not familiar with the walking paths, but with the current cabins so close to Outpost, is it about a 5-10 minute walk to park buses without having to take an internal one? Other than being weather exposed for that walk, that doesn’t seem much different from BRV… or say CC Cabins or PVB longhouses.

Getting to Magic Kingdom? Thats the one that matters as its the "easy" park to get to.

Regarding a 5-10 min walk you can throw a football to the busses from BRV and its probably 2 mins from CCV to the park busses. Park busses are already bad though so less of an issue there when you have the issue of having to take them anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter